Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Reply
Old 02-02-2011, 06:36 PM  
Traveler

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,452 | Kudos: +43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Flipside is robbers expect the gun so they come in and just kill the clerk right away.

Same with sex crimes. If rape/child molestation is turned into a capital punishment then you might see more victims just being killed so the criminal has less chance of being caught.
I agree, or they would disarm the clerk. Typically, the criminal has the element of surprise. They usually are desperate people who are oppertunists.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:53 PM  
Member

Maricopa, Arizona
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 52 | Kudos: +13
Georgia- One employee, unarmed.

Tennessee- Two employees, one unarmed, robbery unsuccessful.

Delaware- One employee, no information available on being armed or not.

3 instances out of 50 states and the only 2 successful most likely weren't armed.

Google convenience stores robbed and the response is 1,040,000 results in a .29 second search. I rest my case.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:34 PM  
Member

Maricopa, Arizona
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 52 | Kudos: +13
Congratulations, you found two more without confirmation of their weapons status.

1,040,000 vs. 1 + 4 without confirmation. I don't know where you matriculated, but to me, the math speaks for itself.

It's become clear that there is little hope of changing your mind with facts instead of conjecture, so I think I'll bow out gracefully and wish you good luck down in the lone star state.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:06 PM  
Senior Member
 
Funetical's Avatar

Austin
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 345 | Kudos: +20
Quote:
Originally Posted by azvoiceman View Post
Congratulations, you found two more without confirmation of their weapons status.

1,040,000 vs. 1 + 4 without confirmation. I don't know where you matriculated, but to me, the math speaks for itself.

It's become clear that there is little hope of changing your mind with facts instead of conjecture, so I think I'll bow out gracefully and wish you good luck down in the lone star state.
I presented facts that prove you wrong. You are wrong.

It happens, which was your point. Don't get mad at the numbers.

I understand your point, it's a logical assertion, unfortunately, the reality of crime is different than your perception of it.

There are no super villains. There's not some giant headed bald guy conjuring disaster and thinking out crimes. There is no Danny Ocean.

Crime doesn't think things through. Your point that gun stores don't get robbed at gun point was wrong. Please prove me otherwise.

I'm sure the number are a lot less than most other businesses, some criminals would rather go for something easier. The point is to prove that being armed doesn't solve the problem of crime by being a deterrent, it only aids in eliminating repeat offenders.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 12:47 PM  
Member

Maricopa, Arizona
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 52 | Kudos: +13
I am not mad at the numbers. You have misunderstood my original comment that knowledge of an armed staff may have a REDUCTION on robberies, not an elimination of them.

I still stand by that statement.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:41 AM  
Senior Member

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 100 | Kudos: +11
Quote:
Originally Posted by azvoiceman View Post
I am not mad at the numbers. You have misunderstood my original comment that knowledge of an armed staff may have a REDUCTION on robberies, not an elimination of them.

I stand by that statement.
I completely agree with you. I also believe that being armed is a two sided sword. The less professional criminal will shy away from a place that has armed employees. They will simply move on to some place that is more vulnerable.
But if you get real professional criminals that want to rob a cetain place they will come prepared.
And I actually know this to be a fact. I worked for years as a corrections officer. I spent all day every day talking with criminals. I have actually asked these men this type of question.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:12 AM  
Senior Member

Greenville, SC
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,141 | Kudos: +188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funetical View Post
.......I'm sure the number are a lot less than most other businesses, some criminals would rather go for something easier. The point is to prove that being armed doesn't solve the problem of crime by being a deterrent, it only aids in eliminating repeat offenders.
Eliminating repeat offenders is good, right?




Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamataco View Post
........The less professional criminal will shy away from a place that has armed employees. They will simply move on to some place that is more vulnerable...........
Yes. This is why they store clerks should be armed.

Oh, and more vulnerable means unarmed right?
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:47 PM  
Senior Member
 
Funetical's Avatar

Austin
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 345 | Kudos: +20
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
Eliminating repeat offenders is good, right?
Yes, yes it is.
Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 03:00 PM  
Senior Member

Greenville, SC
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,141 | Kudos: +188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funetical View Post
Yes, yes it is.
I know. It was sort of a rhetorical question.
Just wanted to point out that it is more evidence that it would be beneficial for more businesses to be staffed with some armed personnel.
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Suggested Threads

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.