Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2011, 07:15 AM  

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Oh, and more vulnerable means unarmed right?

Exactly right.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:35 AM  

Greenville, SC
So we all agree that armed store clerks would likely reduce crime whether it is by killing the criminal or deterring the crime?

At the very least, it should reduce crime at the stores where the clerks ARE armed.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:18 AM  

Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
So we all agree that armed store clerks would likely reduce crime whether it is by killing the criminal or deterring the crime?

At the very least, it should reduce crime at the stores where the clerks ARE armed.
Thats the way I see it.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:48 AM  

Maricopa, Arizona
Most armored car companies employ armed guards, however, very few banks employ armed guards, yet bank robberies are prolific.

A survey of a seven county region of California during a two year period (2008-2009) there were 9 armored car robberies.

During the same period, in the same seven counties, there were 800 bank robberies.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:11 PM  
Traveler

Who cites these statistics? Just kind of curious, because Banks are stationary, and those armored trucks are moblie and the guards are locked behind bullet resistant glass. Just wondering the circumstances behind those robbery statistics.
Old 02-16-2011, 02:44 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
This is always fun...

I for one think that if all stores/businesses had a "you try to rob me you will get shot" policy I think that robberies would almost disappear.
Most criminals are counting on the "..give them what they want so noone gets hurt.." policy. That more often thatn not results in an easy robbery.

What you folks think??
I'm just not sure. I was a store clerk during college when I was robbed at gunpoint. I cursed my rushed schedule that left me unarmed that day for the robber said, "give me the money AND I'm going to kill you". Three customers entered at that point and I attribute my survival to them.

A month later after three robberies in as many weeks the Milwaukee cops staked out a small store up the block from me. The robbers all died but the store had to close for a week to clean up the gore. (cops loved shotguns)

We're addressing symptoms. Let's stop pretending a war on drugs is winnable. It just increases the drugs and profits for druglords.

Fund rehabs for those who want them but we can end drug crime by merely giving up the myth that this war is winnable.

Face it! What sane person puts a needle in their arm knowing it brings a life of addiction and imprisonment?
Old 02-24-2011, 11:28 PM  

Kent, Ohio
I don't know about requiring weapons training as a prerequisite to getting a job, but I do think that (most) employers should not establish firearm carry policies for their employees. I understand where these employers are coming from. If they create a job position that requires an employee be armed, they can be held liable for the actions of that employee. If they actively seek armed individuals as employees, they can be held liable. Right now, if they permit their employees to be armed on the job, they think they can be held liable for the actions of those employees.

They aren't yet worried about liability for disarming employees.

Ideally, an employer who takes no position on employee-carry should be immune from liability for the actions of the individuals they employ.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:58 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
"Ideally, an employer who takes no position on employee-carry should be immune from liability for the actions of the individuals they employ."

Key word is "ideally". In our imperfect world that hires many marginal types as cashiers you risk a would be mall ninja with an IQ of 85 seizing his one chance at 15 minutes of fame. Someone needs to bear responsibility and the employer has a part in the results.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:52 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
"Ideally, an employer who takes no position on employee-carry should be immune from liability for the actions of the individuals they employ."

Key word is "ideally". In our imperfect world that hires many marginal types as cashiers you risk a would be mall ninja with an IQ of 85 seizing his one chance at 15 minutes of fame. Someone needs to bear responsibility and the employer has a part in the results.
The "someone" in that case should be the employee, not the employer. Unless the employer required the employee to be armed.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:08 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Definitely, the death penalty is not used enough.
It's proven to not be much of a deterrent. We all die but no one is very happy being behind bars for life. That scares the crap out of me compared to death.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.