Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-13-2010, 11:12 AM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
I guess it's the whole terrorist mantra. When you have run out of legitimate resorts and the machine is too big the only way to fight is with force.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:03 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
The crime was committed, they have that guy in the brig, Assange's is not committing a crime, that's the reason they have only charged him with unlawful sex.

That's right, he's in jail for not using condom while having sex with a CIA operative.

I think what Assange is doing is terrible, but the government response will far over shadow any wrong doing by Assange I'm afraid.

It will also establish precedence that will shut down sites like ours, based on the posting of illegal content, by members or otherwise.

So to be clear, leaking of State secrets, bad, handling of this by our government, bad.
Where'd you get that info from?

He's in jail because

1) He had sex with two friends without telling each other (bad "dude" decision, which made them pissed)

2) Didn't wear a condom with one

3) His condom broke with the other, and after she told him to stop, he continued until he was done.

Under swedish law, if the woman stops consenting at any time, then it's considered rape.

Sooooo, 2+2 = rape. A little extreme? Absolutely. But did he do something just "dude" wrong? No - as the Marine Corps sexual abuse briefings go, "No means no!"

Julian Assange Charges and ‘Sex By Surprise’

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 12-13-2010, 07:44 PM  

North of Wausau, Wisconsin
The most he has done with the release of documents is embarrass our government. But they want to charge him with anything they can think of to stop the release of any more.

Let's see they don't care if what they are doing is embarressing to us. They don't care they are spending what are grandchildren and great grandchildren will be paying in taxes. They don't care how it looks when they make dirty deals in back rooms. The list is endless.

So the question is---> What does he know that our polititions don't want the world to know about.

Because so far everything they have done to us is down right disgusting and they don't care what we think.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:04 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Songbird View Post
The most he has done with the release of documents is embarrass our government. But they want to charge him with anything they can think of to stop the release of any more.

Let's see they don't care if what they are doing is embarressing to us. They don't care they are spending what are grandchildren and great grandchildren will be paying in taxes. They don't care how it looks when they make dirty deals in back rooms. The list is endless.

So the question is---> What does he know that our polititions don't want the world to know about.

Because so far everything they have done to us is down right disgusting and they don't care what we think.

Songbird, have you looked into this at all? The cables contain tons of names of informants in Iraq and Afghanistan - people who decided to turn against their insurgent counterparts and help out the US. A lot of the people listed in those documents now have had to have been moved, taken away from their hometowns, etc. to protect their lives from the insurgency striking back for them being a US/Coalition informant. The strategic and tactical cost to the US and Afghan/Iraqi civilians is unmeasurable. Only time will tell an actual estimate of money/lives that these "harmless" leaked cables caused.

On another note, they hurt the US' credibility as well as strained relationships with some very fragile countries, such as China.

I agree with everything else that you said, but I CERTAINLY don't think that the cables only "embarassed our government"

Old 12-14-2010, 01:06 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Disclaimer: I would also like to add that, as a Marine, I've been ordered to not read the documents, because, even though they were made public, that doesn't change their classification level and shouldn't be read outside of secure environment.

Everything I know about them comes from new stories or from other people who have sifted through them.

Old 12-14-2010, 06:40 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
Where'd you get that info from?

He's in jail because

1) He had sex with two friends without telling each other (bad "dude" decision, which made them pissed)

2) Didn't wear a condom with one

3) His condom broke with the other, and after she told him to stop, he continued until he was done.

Under swedish law, if the woman stops consenting at any time, then it's considered rape.

Sooooo, 2+2 = rape. A little extreme? Absolutely. But did he do something just "dude" wrong? No - as the Marine Corps sexual abuse briefings go, "No means no!"

Julian Assange Charges and ?Sex By Surprise?
No means no, I' m not contesting that. It seems if he did something wrong, actually illegal, they could have pinned that on him.

Innocent till proven guilty though, the article you posted even said, "One of the women had previously circulated on the Internet a how-to guide titled ?7 Steps to Legal Revenge,? which ?explains how women can use courts to get their own back on unfaithful lovers.?.

So...

Quote:
Disclaimer: I would also like to add that, as a Marine, I've been ordered to not read the documents, because, even though they were made public, that doesn't change their classification level and shouldn't be read outside of secure environment.

Everything I know about them comes from new stories or from other people who have sifted through them.
I'm not and I have chosen not to read them. I have no interest for one, but also they were classified for a reason.

Like I said, I don't agree with Assange, at all, but I also don't like how Big Brother is handling it.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:21 AM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
Everyone saw that the accuser works with the CIA right?

Revealed: Assange ‘rape’ accuser linked to notorious CIA operative | Raw Story
Old 12-14-2010, 10:24 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Everyone saw that the accuser works with the CIA right?

Revealed: Assange ?rape? accuser linked to notorious CIA operative | Raw Story
I was looking for that earlier and couldn't find it!
Old 12-14-2010, 12:37 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Haha, she certainly doesn't work for the CIA. Did you read the article?

From it:

One accuser, Anna Ardin, may have "ties to the US-financed anti-Castro and anti-communist groups," according to Israel Shamir and Paul Bennett, writing for CounterPunch.

So she MAY have ties to a group that has US funding, is anti-Castro and anti-communist. Really?

She's a political activist - of course she's going to have tons of ties.

That and that's only one of two accusers, unfortunately.

This is a pretty weak defense for the guy, by any means.

Old 12-14-2010, 03:00 PM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Haha, she certainly doesn't work for the CIA. Did you read the article?

From it:

One accuser, Anna Ardin, may have "ties to the US-financed anti-Castro and anti-communist groups," according to Israel Shamir and Paul Bennett, writing for CounterPunch.

So she MAY have ties to a group that has US funding, is anti-Castro and anti-communist. Really?

She's a political activist - of course she's going to have tons of ties.

That and that's only one of two accusers, unfortunately.

This is a pretty weak defense for the guy, by any means.
What crime should he be charged with?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.