Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2011, 01:52 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
but Obama has provided ample evidence against such a notion.
It's the same approach taken by the EU because it's a stimulus when we most need one. It's no magic cure by itself but by not doing so we risk 10 years of stagflation like the Japanese did in similar circumstances.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:42 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
I would argue that basic high speed internet and a basic used car payment are justifiable, ....
???? Really... Funny, I have been "getting by" with neither for a very long time. Oh woe is me.....

I guess you just illustrated some of the problems in this country... PRIORITIES!

Old 08-08-2011, 07:54 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
???? Really... Funny, I have been "getting by" with neither for a very long time. Oh woe is me.....

I guess you just illustrated some of the problems in this country... PRIORITIES!
depends on where you live, in a rural area maintaining a job and getting an education would be incredibly difficult to do, especially without family that had the means to assist, same goes for high speed, it is a must to do online courses and better oneself.... granted this does assume one wants to better themselves, In a reasonably large city with a library and buses and such, the no it would not be necessary
Old 08-08-2011, 09:19 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
depends on where you live, in a rural area maintaining a job and getting an education would be incredibly difficult to do, especially without family that had the means to assist, same goes for high speed, it is a must to do online courses and better oneself.... granted this does assume one wants to better themselves, In a reasonably large city with a library and buses and such, the no it would not be necessary
By the way, I live in a "rural" area... I cannot even get high speed at my house. I do not need the internet at home. I can go to the library. Or other means.... As far as car payments, I have never had one. I always buy older cars. I am sorry, I just don't buy it.....
Old 08-08-2011, 11:43 AM  

Quote:
By the way, I live in a "rural" area... I cannot even get high speed at my house. I do not need the internet at home. I can go to the library. Or other means.... As far as car payments, I have never had one. I always buy older cars. I am sorry, I just don't buy it.....
A man after my own heart! I am debt free so I can spend all that is left after taxes if I choose to. My philosophy is to give 10% (in practice more), save 10% (in practice more) and spend the rest as needed.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:12 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
A man after my own heart! I am debt free so I can spend all that is left after taxes if I choose to. My philosophy is to give 10% (in practice more), save 10% (in practice more) and spend the rest as needed.
Way to go man..... Working on the mortgage here, started with a 30yr in '04 and just refi'd into a 15 with the same monthly payment (still paying extra..).... Hope to be TOTALLY debt free by 2020 ..

Anyway, the problem today is that everyone thinks that living by the car payment, the credit card, the payday lender.... WHATEVER, is the way of life today... We shouldn't be surprised that the government runs such a sloppy economic ship.... I don't think we should promote such behavior by subsidizing those that live beyond their means.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:11 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:

My job would not be feasible without both reliable, high-speed internet and reliable transportation. Without either one, I would be forced to select from a limited number of lower paying jobs or re-educating myself to work in a different field. For me, a $50/month high-speed internet connection at home and $20 data plan on my phone enables me to earn roughly $1500 more money per month than having either no connection, or a dial-up connection only.

That $50/month connection at home also serves as my primary education, entertainment, news, and communication resource, replacing cable/satellite TV, landline telephone, newspaper and magazine subscriptions.

The $20/month smartphone data plan saves me at least $100/month in gasoline by affording me more flexibility in my scheduling, and allows me to perform a large portion of my network administration functions remotely, making my work more reliable. My job has me traveling to several assignments within a ~50 mile radius of my office. The ability to reliably submit my reports and photographs from the field gains me an additional 6 to 24 hours of time to complete my assignments, which gives my office another 6 to 24 hours to give me more assignments in that area.

I don't currently have a car payment, but if my car were stolen or destroyed today and could not be replaced, it would cost me roughly $2500/month in lost earnings compared to any job I could get that did not require that I have my own transportation.

Priorities? I would say that these factors are of more importance than my own preference to live in a rural area.

I agree with RedJeepXJ - high speed internet and "basic used car payment" (his words, my emphasis), are justifiable as necessities.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:24 PM  
What page are you on?

in a van... down by the river, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
Priorities? I would say that these factors are of more importance than my own preference to live in a rural area.

I agree with RedJeepXJ - high speed internet and "basic used car payment" (his words, my emphasis), are justifiable as necessities.
A car payment is not a necessity. Not by any means. Neither is a cell phone, or the internet.

How many homeless people do you see in a 'used car' with payments, and high-speed internet? Perhaps a cell phone with a 20$ data package? None? Shocker. Because they aren't necessities.

Every time I roll by our local welfare office, I am disgusted by the people with brand new cars, the latest cell phones, a cigarette between two fingers, and 5 kids. GET A JOB. SET AN EXAMPLE. You could eat if you had bought a car within your means. You could eat if you didn't have a 200$ cell phone payment each month. You could eat if you got a job and set a good example for your children.

But why work when there is free money to be had?
Old 08-08-2011, 03:27 PM  
What page are you on?

in a van... down by the river, Texas
If your debt exceeds your income, you're doing it wrong.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:29 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britney View Post
If your debt exceeds your income, you're doing it wrong.
THIS.

As far as a reliable vehicle, I am driving a vehicle with 300,000 miles on it that has had no major issues. Oh, and as a bonus, you dont have to carry full coverage which saves even more money. I think it is cheaper to have two cars worth about $2000 each than to have 1 new car (or any one with a car payment for that matter). Still don't buy it.

I agree that SOME professions do need you to have high speed internet. That is an expense of employment. I don't have a problem with that. I am sure noone is implying that is most often the case when people (who cannot afford it) have high speed. Right?

I do believe that necessities need to be reevaluated.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.