Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-21-2011, 09:28 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
the bottom 50% pays no taxes---

but why? fox acts like they are getting tax breaks like crazy and living it up, but in reality the bottom 50% own 2.5% of the countries wealth. even if you taxed them on their net worth at 50% we would not come close to achieving the same income we would if we had a modest increase in the taxes on the rich (tax levels we had during economic boom periods). This is reality, there is a huge gap in income distribution that puts america in the list surrounded by third world countries.
when republicans talk about taxing the people who don't pay taxes they miss they are deluding you, the middle class is the group they will get the money from and the middle class is what makes this country strong but it is weakening and has been weakening for a long time.

The class warfare going on by republicans is downright evil and I don't think they will stop until they create a class based society of poor beggars against the rich aristocracy, but yet somehow they pretend they are the party of jesus?

Mind Blowing American Wealth Disparity: The Bottom 50% Have Comparatively Nothing ? Bodhi Thunder

income distribution by country graph
Wealth Distribution by Country Using Gini Coefficient | MintLife Blog | Personal Finance News & Advice
the bottom 50% pays no taxes----wealth-inequality-usa-06.jpg 

the bottom 50% pays no taxes----half-america-has-25-wealth.jpg.gif 

Old 08-21-2011, 09:41 AM  

Class warfare singles out the rich establishing and promulgating a mentality that the rich owes the rest of us a living. The 50% that get a free ride are more than likely to vote for a free ride.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:55 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
Class warfare singles out the rich establishing and promulgating a mentality that the rich owes the rest of us a living. The 50% that get a free ride are more than likely to vote for a free ride.
When 50% of the nation holds 97.5% of the wealth, they should be paying at least 97.5% of taxes.

You want the working class to pay taxes, you need to pay them more than minimum taxable income.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:01 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
When 50% of the nation holds 97.5% of the wealth, they should be paying at least 97.5% of taxes.

You want the working class to pay taxes, you need to pay them more than minimum taxable income.
This is an interesting concept. Please explain more!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:02 AM  

Quote:

The minimum wage takes jobs and causes inflation. I once asked a laborer what he thought of the minimum wage. His reply, "See that trencher digging that ditch, if not for the damned minimum wage I would have a crew of men digging that ditch!" After any minimum wage increase the price of the goods those workers supply and consume go up leaving him them where they were. It's as temporary as a bowling handicap.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:59 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
The minimum wage takes jobs and causes inflation. I once asked a laborer what he thought of the minimum wage. His reply, "See that trencher digging that ditch, if not for the damned minimum wage I would have a crew of men digging that ditch!" After any minimum wage increase the price of the goods those workers supply and consume go up leaving him them where they were. It's as temporary as a bowling handicap.
Minimum Wage is not Minimum Taxable Income. Minimum wage is the lowest amount that an employer can legally pay a worker. Minimum Taxable Income is the amount of income that will cause a worker to owe $1 in taxes on April 15. It's not a rigidly defined number - what a person owes on tax day is affected by a number of other factors such as the size and composition of their family, and the nature of their expnses. Minimum Taxable Income is a conceptual number. Currently, 50% of the US population earns more than that number, and 50% earns less. Those that earn less pay no taxes.

I'm not talking about raising the statutory minimum wage, I'm talking about the employers in the United States paying more than 50% of the population a wage that will result in workers paying federal income tax. What percentage of employed people do you want to pay taxes? All of them? Then go look to the employers, tell them to pay every single one of their employees enough that their employees will all have a taxable income. That should lower the number that don't pay from 50% to less than 9.2% (the unemployment rate - and I know I owed taxes on the money I received during the 3 months I was on unemployment in 2005)
Old 08-21-2011, 11:36 AM  

Quote:
Minimum Wage is not Minimum Taxable Income. Minimum wage is the lowest amount that an employer can legally pay a worker. Minimum Taxable Income is the amount of income that will cause a worker to owe $1 in taxes on April 15. It's not a rigidly defined number - what a person owes on tax day is affected by a number of other factors such as the size and composition of their family, and the nature of their expnses. Minimum Taxable Income is a conceptual number. Currently, 50% of the US population earns more than that number, and 50% earns less. Those that earn less pay no taxes.

I'm not talking about raising the statutory minimum wage, I'm talking about the employers in the United States paying more than 50% of the population a wage that will result in workers paying federal income tax. What percentage of employed people do you want to pay taxes? All of them? Then go look to the employers, tell them to pay every single one of their employees enough that their employees will all have a taxable income. That should lower the number that don't pay from 50% to less than 9.2% (the unemployment rate - and I know I owed taxes on the money I received during the 3 months I was on unemployment in 2005)
And what would that do to inflation and the price of consumer goods and services?
Old 08-21-2011, 01:07 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
And what would that do to inflation and the price of consumer goods and services?
It would really screw it up. Horribly. But that's not the question you should have asked. The question you should have asked is:

What would happen to inflation and the price of consumer goods if the holders of 97.5% of the wealth in the US "suffered" a tax hike?
Old 08-21-2011, 01:29 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
how are they getting a free ride, the working poor are making money for these big "job-creator" wealthy individuals, yes there are mooches as well but unless you tax welfare and food stamps which is a different argument you are not going to get them to pay anything more by increasing the tax on the middle class and lower. but the working poor still pay A LOT of other taxes including sales tax, gas tax, and state taxes, etc.

Quote:

not too that level, but we need to be reasonable, the rich can accept a higher percent burden, that is just reality, tax the poor at 25% and they may not be able to eat, tax the rich at 35% instead of 28% and they may not be able to buy that yacht, or if on the lower scale will have to buy a bmw instead of an aston martin, it is NOT the same sort of sacrifice.

Quote:
and then what? what are the societal consequences of peopleliving that low, if we pay them that low then either the government has to subsidize a living wage or they will live in poverty(which I assume you are against) or we could start seeing poverty towns like this in america since they will be working for a buck or 2 an hour
manila?

India?

now is that the type of country you want to live in? this seems to be your end goal by just the natural progression of what will happen and what america used to have before such programs began.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:20 PM  

Nice pics, your home town? The US didn't look like that before the minimum wage, but certain places in MI are now beginning to take on that look.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.