Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2011, 04:08 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
Nice pics, your home town? The US didn't look like that before the minimum wage, but certain places in MI are now beginning to take on that look.
so did you just not pay attention to u.s. history?. such things as poorhouses existed and still do today but are not as rampant due to social programs.

ever hear of tenement housing? here is a little information... but seriously how can you have so little understanding of u.s. history or literature for that matter, granted yes america was more rural and didn't have the slum problems as severe as most countries did we certainly did have the problem in cities

http://www.uni.edu/schneidj/webquest.../citylife.html

Old 08-21-2011, 08:08 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
so did you just not pay attention to u.s. history?. such things as poorhouses existed and still do today but are not as rampant due to social programs.

ever hear of tenement housing? here is a little information... but seriously how can you have so little understanding of u.s. history or literature for that matter, granted yes america was more rural and didn't have the slum problems as severe as most countries did we certainly did have the problem in cities

Brittany's Page- City Life
A bit before my time or the minimum wage for that matter. So which party do you blame for farmers flocking to the city?

Old 08-21-2011, 08:22 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
A bit before my time or the minimum wage for that matter. So which party do you blame for farmers flocking to the city?
it is before my time as well..... but history books still have this type of information.....

why is there some political party to blame with you? we moved into cities due to many reasons including better technology so less people were needed per acre of farmland allowing the population to pursue other things and cities usually provided a better place to pursue new industries/ideas etc. Or let's just blame it on Obama, that seems to be the trend nowadays.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:01 PM  
fustrated genius

Always been two freeloaders, the Xtreme rich and the xtreme poor. This is why we need to do away with income tax and install a federal sales tax. EVERYBODY pays, no "illegals immigrants" stealing SS# 's and going exempt., no Bushican buddies getting away with paying less or nothing, no Obamacrats able to give freebies, everybody pays. Everything sold in USA gets sales tax, import, domestic made don't matter.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:16 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
Always been two freeloaders, the Xtreme rich and the xtreme poor. This is why we need to do away with income tax and install a federal sales tax. EVERYBODY pays, no "illegals immigrants" stealing SS# 's and going exempt., no Bushican buddies getting away with paying less or nothing, no Obamacrats able to give freebies, everybody pays. Everything sold in USA gets sales tax, import, domestic made don't matter.
A good idea but power brokers of both stripes won't like it as there is no room for graft. The fair tax is another great idea. Some states derive their income from sales tax. I know TN did when I was a student at UTK and FL did when I worked on the AFETR.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:32 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
so tax the working class and poor more. a family earning $50,000 would pay about twice as much in federal taxes. while the rich would get a an incredibly huge tax break. you know that would make income inequality even greater right?
Old 08-26-2011, 01:03 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
so tax the working class and poor more. a family earning $50,000 would pay about twice as much in federal taxes. while the rich would get a an incredibly huge tax break. you know that would make income inequality even greater right?
How is that taxing the middle class more? The more "stuff" you buy the more you pay. I think the fair tax would make it so much more clear who is paying what. Now it is like a giant puzzle to sift through all the mess of a tax code to even get a general idea. The fair tax is never going to happen because it robs politicians of most of their power. (which is why it is such a good idea!)..
Old 08-26-2011, 04:04 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
How is that taxing the middle class more? The more "stuff" you buy the more you pay. I think the fair tax would make it so much more clear who is paying what. Now it is like a giant puzzle to sift through all the mess of a tax code to even get a general idea. The fair tax is never going to happen because it robs politicians of most of their power. (which is why it is such a good idea!)..
I have to repeat myself again !!!!!

a "flat tax" or a federal sales tax would have to be in the range of 20% (and possibly higher for a sales tax, right now an average family making 50k a year has about a 9%(EFFECTIVE TAX RATE), both a sales tax or a flat tax would bump that up to around 20%, it really is that simple and basic, I don't know how to repeat it and make it any simpler, the middle class will pay about double taxes, the working poor will pay many more multiples in federal taxes.... but who really benefits..... who pays less? the break even point (the amount where taxes would stay the same would be around $125k, so anyone making more then that would see a tax decrease, this isn't complex mathematical games or trickery, just simple math.

"fair tax" or national sales tax schemes are just attempts to shift the tax burden to the working class under the guise of making taxes easier, it's a load of crap.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:39 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
I have to repeat myself again !!!!!

a "flat tax" or a federal sales tax would have to be in the range of 20% (and possibly higher for a sales tax, right now an average family making 50k a year has about a 9%(EFFECTIVE TAX RATE), both a sales tax or a flat tax would bump that up to around 20%, it really is that simple and basic, I don't know how to repeat it and make it any simpler, the middle class will pay about double taxes, the working poor will pay many more multiples in federal taxes.... but who really benefits..... who pays less? the break even point (the amount where taxes would stay the same would be around $125k, so anyone making more then that would see a tax decrease, this isn't complex mathematical games or trickery, just simple math.

"fair tax" or national sales tax schemes are just attempts to shift the tax burden to the working class under the guise of making taxes easier, it's a load of crap.

How does the prebate work?

All valid Social Security cardholders who are U.S. residents receive a monthly prebate equivalent to the FairTax paid on essential goods and services, also known as the poverty level expenditures. The prebate is paid in advance, in equal installments each month. The size of the prebate is determined by the Department of Health & Human Services’ poverty level guideline multiplied by the tax rate. This is a well-accepted, long-used poverty-level calculation that includes food, clothing, shelter, transportation, medical care, etc. See chart in Figure 1 below.*

For more info, or to see the chart go to:

Americans For Fair Taxation: Frequently Asked Questions Answers

So the prebate goes to everyone to cover taxes paid on all ESSENTIAL goods! So, if all you buy are essentials then you will not pay many taxes at all. I think it sounds great. People who buy a bunch of "stuff" pay more taxes. If they can afford a bunch of "stuff" they can afford the taxes.
Best of all, it TAKES ALOT OF POWER FROM THE POLITICIANS!!! I think we can all agree that would be an enormous step towards cleaning up our government and it's corruption.
Old 08-27-2011, 03:34 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
How does the prebate work?

All valid Social Security cardholders who are U.S. residents receive a monthly prebate equivalent to the FairTax paid on essential goods and services, also known as the poverty level expenditures. The prebate is paid in advance, in equal installments each month. The size of the prebate is determined by the Department of Health & Human Services’ poverty level guideline multiplied by the tax rate. This is a well-accepted, long-used poverty-level calculation that includes food, clothing, shelter, transportation, medical care, etc. See chart in Figure 1 below.*

For more info, or to see the chart go to:

Americans For Fair Taxation: Frequently Asked Questions Answers

So the prebate goes to everyone to cover taxes paid on all ESSENTIAL goods! So, if all you buy are essentials then you will not pay many taxes at all. I think it sounds great. People who buy a bunch of "stuff" pay more taxes. If they can afford a bunch of "stuff" they can afford the taxes.
Best of all, it TAKES ALOT OF POWER FROM THE POLITICIANS!!! I think we can all agree that would be an enormous step towards cleaning up our government and it's corruption.
and did you work out the math, even if a "prebate" does happen then so what, it slightly changes the numbers poverty level "prebates" still mean the average person is going to pay more taxes then they do now, the arguments for fair tax if you listen carefully they say "broaden the tax base" meaning more people will pay (and obviously) more while a few will pay a lot less. Those aren't my words, those are the people pushing it.

Quote:
Effective tax rates vs. stated tax rates
Because the 23-percent FairTax rate of $0.23 on every dollar spent is not imposed on necessities, an individual spending $30,000 pays an effective tax rate of only 15.5 percent, not 23 percent. That same individual will pay 17.3 percent of his or her income to federal taxes under current law. See effective tax rates for a family of four at various spending levels in Figure 2.
this is entirely false. the maximum level tax rate someone making 30k would pay is 15% under the CURRENT system, and effective tax rate would be significantly lower then 15%, probably around 10%, not 17%, however even with the "prebate" the person would be paying over 15%

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!