Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2011, 11:29 AM  
Traveler

Where do I begin? Well, Of course business needs to make money, it just comes down to how much is enough is enough. I think that in general, people are pretty stupid all the way around. Several companies nearly crash our economy and yet those at the top still get their pay and...........bonuses. And who is seen as the culprit? Union workers. People clinging to medicare and government disability! You know? You might have enough money to throw into mutual funds and have a deversafied portfolio, and that's fantastic, but all this households money goes into just surviving each week. And I suspect that I'm in good company. I just don't see how when businesses send jobs overseaswhere do these people that just laid off their workers think that those people are going to come up with the money to buy that companies product. Typically, when a person looses their job, and I can attest to this fact, you usually wind up taking a job for less money. It's become the American way! I saw a bumper sticker once, that was reallt great. It said.... "Hungry? Eat your import!" Eventually, Carl Marx will be proven right I bet. You can only hemmorage so many jobs before people start driving to China and India for work! I know that this country revolves around the whole "share holders" concept, but doesn't it bother people that outfits like health insurance companies, have literally killed people for profit when they look for loopholes in policies and just flat out deny claims just to look more profitable for the share holders? Does'nt that make anyone ill in the slightest? I know it sure does make me ill. 3 years ago I worked for an outfit that payed darn awesome wages and gave us all sort of perks like company gas cards, medical insurance paid vacations and....... bonuses. They once told us at a luncheon, that they had made their living on our backs and were taking us on a one week trip all expenses paid to Jamaica. I guess it becomes a moral thing. Some people are very generous as they have enough, while others want it all and then some. When this country was on it's back, you'd a thought that those CEOs would have said, "you know what? we've made plenty on everyone elses backs and what with all the unemployed people out there on account of people just like us..... we're gonna pass on our bonuses right now". The purpose of this post, because I know that people generally don't care at all, so long as others are below them, was to see out in the CP general population, how many of us all, would side with the struggling American worker, or for gluttenous corporate America. I think it's clear where I stand. Maybe that's because I work with a bunch of guys who work as hard as we can as a team, to turn out as many units as possible, so the "outfit" can make a killing selling toys to wealthy people and the government, while we might loose our job to a Chinese firm. It's pretty disheartening, and I quote someone famous who states, and I firmly believe it, that it's a blaitent form of economic terrorism. I'm going to back off now and see what others have to say on CP. Step up to the mic folks!

Old 07-28-2011, 12:03 PM  

Greenville, SC
Wow... You are a little bit all over the place.... Let me see where to begin.....
The mutual funds I have haven't been added to since I was single. I now cannot afford to do anything with it but let it sit. And as far as a "diversified portfolio" I simply contribute to my 401K and select the % to which funds.
As far as CEOs and such collecting bonuses after their companies got bailed out, I think that was messed up. But, I was against the bailouts from the get go and I think that the bonuses were in their contracts. You talk about gluttenous corporate america but if you open your eyes it is GLUTTENOUS AMERICA. I have said so many times.... I will bet that there are many (not all) folks out there "struggling" and whatnot that you could go to their house and find cable, internet, the latest game systems, fancy cell phones, a car payment, etc....None of which I have by the way... . As far as the pharmaceutical company stuff, you are getting a little bit off topic when we are talking about outsourcing manufacturing. You cannot force people to be generous. All we can do is try to act responsibly ourselves and understand why things are the way they are, not necessarily what is wrong with the way things are (unless we have a solution).

Oh, and it seems that for most people no matter how much money they make, the more they will spend. They will usually have other things that they would like to have. This is why there usually is not an "enough is enough" point. We need to put ourselves in other peoples situation and say "what would I do?" And I don't mean "what would I like to thinkthat I would do.." You know what I mean?

Old 07-28-2011, 04:57 PM  
Administrator

Ohio
What constitutes "made in America"?

I read a lot about buying ?made in America,? but I am not sure what that means. I?ve gotten the impression from comments I?ve been reading over the years on the Internet that it refers only to the following products: vehicles (the biggest category), new buildings, electronics, large appliances, furniture and perhaps clothing.
Does the ?made in America? term refer just to the production of these items, or does it also include the textiles used to make them? Are the following included--office and school supplies (I know pencils and tape are made here, although I don't know the origins of the materials); books (most of the new purchases I?ve made have been printed in the US, although I don?t know the origins of the paper itself); hosiery (although I don?t know where the thread and cloth are from); or arts and crafts made by individuals to resell (although I again don?t know where the textiles originate from).
What about buying used merchandise at garage sales, flea markets, antique shows or online, when the profits go mostly to the seller and the venue?
I've not purchased any of the items in the first paragraph for several years, except for clothing, but I've bought a bunch of stuff in the other two paragraphs.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:53 AM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
Wow... You are a little bit all over the place.... Let me see where to begin.....
The mutual funds I have haven't been added to since I was single. I now cannot afford to do anything with it but let it sit. And as far as a "diversified portfolio" I simply contribute to my 401K and select the % to which funds.
As far as CEOs and such collecting bonuses after their companies got bailed out, I think that was messed up. But, I was against the bailouts from the get go and I think that the bonuses were in their contracts. You talk about gluttenous corporate america but if you open your eyes it is GLUTTENOUS AMERICA. I have said so many times.... I will bet that there are many (not all) folks out there "struggling" and whatnot that you could go to their house and find cable, internet, the latest game systems, fancy cell phones, a car payment, etc....None of which I have by the way... . As far as the pharmaceutical company stuff, you are getting a little bit off topic when we are talking about outsourcing manufacturing. You cannot force people to be generous. All we can do is try to act responsibly ourselves and understand why things are the way they are, not necessarily what is wrong with the way things are (unless we have a solution).

Oh, and it seems that for most people no matter how much money they make, the more they will spend. They will usually have other things that they would like to have. This is why there usually is not an "enough is enough" point. We need to put ourselves in other peoples situation and say "what would I do?" And I don't mean "what would I like to thinkthat I would do.." You know what I mean?
I never mentioned pills, though many of the ingredients / chemicals do come from China! I was referring to the insurance industry in regard to share holders meaning that the companies have literally killed people when they kicked them off or refused to pay for treatments, to bolster profits for the shareholders, cementing my respect for a corps bottom line. tired off to beddie!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!