Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2011, 02:03 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
college without Pell Grants

Paul Ryan has one bad idea after another. He is now defending kicking One Million students off of Pell Grants and out of college.

Just recently, a student asked how he would be able to afford college without Pell Grants. Paul Ryan told him he should work three jobs and go into debt. You can see the video here

Ryan on Pell Grants - YouTube

People like Ryan would watch us fall to 3rd World status as long as they continued to profit.

college without Pell Grants-9e6.jpg 

college without Pell Grants-paulryanlarge.jpg 

college without Pell Grants-paul-ryan-portrait.jpg 

college without Pell Grants-sad-paul-ryan.jpg 

college without Pell Grants-paul-ryan-end-medicare.jpg 

college without Pell Grants-paul-ryan-snatch-.jpg 

college without Pell Grants-paulryan2.jpg 

college without Pell Grants-paul-ryan1.jpg 

college without Pell Grants-paul-ryan-six-trillion-dollar-man.jpg 

college without Pell Grants-ryan.jpg 

Old 10-26-2011, 05:16 AM  

Nashville, TN
I understand we differ on political view points, thats not at issue. I understand that there are financial problems in our country. I understand there is great division among the citizens of the USA right now. I understand that we face a lot of threats both domestic and foreign. I don't understand the thinking process that we can continue to spend like drunken sailors on holiday and not have to face some kind of consequences. I really don't blame one political party over the other because BOTH are to blame.

If we can agree that there is a spending problem, whats the solution? Continue throwing away trillions of dollars, we can never repay, at problems? I personally think we've reached a point in the history of our country where we really need political reform at local, state and federal levels of govt. Serving in govt should be a privilege not a pathway to the American equivalent of royalty.

(no offense to drunken sailors of the world for comparing them to politicians, sorry)

Old 10-26-2011, 08:09 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post

[B]Paul Ryan has one bad idea after another. He is now defending kicking One Million students off of Pell Grants and out of college.
how else are the rich to keep a cheap workforce? educated people make more money AND make smarter choices and may even understand environmental issues and see need for regulations!!!! all that gets in the way of progress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldognewtrick View Post
I understand we differ on political view points, thats not at issue. I understand that there are financial problems in our country. I understand there is great division among the citizens of the USA right now. I understand that we face a lot of threats both domestic and foreign. I don't understand the thinking process that we can continue to spend like drunken sailors on holiday and not have to face some kind of consequences. I really don't blame one political party over the other because BOTH are to blame.

If we can agree that there is a spending problem, whats the solution? Continue throwing away trillions of dollars, we can never repay, at problems? I personally think we've reached a point in the history of our country where we really need political reform at local, state and federal levels of govt. Serving in govt should be a privilege not a pathway to the American equivalent of royalty.

(no offense to drunken sailors of the world for comparing them to politicians, sorry)
college is not wasted money, the problem is that we have been working to kill the middle class, we as a country look back and think it's amazing that the robber barons were able to control so much wealth in the country and the problems that resulted from such inequality, now we are even worse as far the percentage the top 1% has verse the rest of us peons, we have reduced the richest peoples taxes tremendously and have nothing but a smaller middle class, weaker worker protections, more income inequality to show for it. we need to quit doubling down.

so how would you reform it to not serve anyone's ideas over anothers?
Old 10-27-2011, 07:06 AM  

Nashville, TN
RedJeep, if I had the answers, it would be better than having this weeks powerball number. Some dumb roofer from Nashville sure ain't going to come up with solutions that will make everyone happy. Only thing know is kids go to college and take out loans worth sometimes over $100,000, graduate and find they can't find a job with a degree in French Literature or theater. 1 out of 4 children who graduate H.S. are college ready. The people we trust to educate our children can't seem to find a way to be competitive on a global scale no matter how much money we throw at it.

I've learned (the hard way) that people appreciate it more when they have to work for things themselves and are not handed things on a platter. I posted previously because I'm looking for answers and even viewpoints from others. What am I missing?

We elect leaders who say they are going to unify our country, we are now more divided than ever since the Civil War.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:17 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
......... Only thing know is kids go to college and take out loans worth sometimes over $100,000, graduate and find they can't find a job with a degree in French Literature or theater.

....................people appreciate it more when they have to work for things themselves and are not handed things on a platter.
These things...... Oh, and I remember when I was in class at a technical school and alot of the folks in the class were on some sort of financial aid... Which is just fine, no problem with that... At the end of the program, a majority of the ones left were the ones paying much of it themselves. Take from that what you will...
Oh, and I didn't qualify for the aid because of the money I had made the previous year (the job I was laid off from! and Why I was going back to school!).

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 10-27-2011, 07:25 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
RedJeep, if I had the answers, it would be better than having this weeks powerball number. Some dumb roofer from Nashville sure ain't going to come up with solutions that will make everyone happy. Only thing know is kids go to college and take out loans worth sometimes over $100,000, graduate and find they can't find a job with a degree in French Literature or theater.
agree there, we need to remove all government backed student loans from being used for non high demand fields, this country needs more scientists, not art history majors....
Quote:

I've learned (the hard way) that people appreciate it more when they have to work for things themselves and are not handed things on a platter. I posted previously because I'm looking for answers and even viewpoints from others. What am I missing?

We elect leaders who say they are going to unify our country, we are now more divided than ever since the Civil War.
I agree, Obama tried to bring the parties together, he even reduced his positions down to what was pretty much exactly what the other side wanted initially (or pre election) but that isn't good enough. There is a terrible amount of team playing going on where it seems like republicans are only concerned that the democrats lose, and any damage to the economy is just collateral damage.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:27 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
agree there, we need to remove all government backed student loans from being used for non high demand fields, this country needs more scientists, not history majors....
Just because "I" can't build a rocket science or come up with complex formula doesn't make me any less capable of contributing to the country.

Historians do play a role in a country's development. True, Science always gets the spotlight but other sectors of the society play a part as well.

Studying the history can help us stop making a fool of ourselves by learning from it. And who better can do that these, err, history majors.

Just sayin'.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:37 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by killingart View Post
Just because "I" can't build a rocket science or come up with complex formula doesn't make me any less capable of contributing to the country.

Historians do play a role in a country's development. True, Science always gets the spotlight but other sectors of the society play a part as well.

Studying the history can help us stop making a fool of ourselves by learning from it. And who better can do that these, err, history majors.

Just sayin'.
wasn't meant in that way, but I would bet not a lot of history majors end up with jobs that can pay off huge amount of student loan debt, If someone wants to study it then fine, but we need to quit subsidizing degrees that are not in great demand.
Old 10-28-2011, 06:57 PM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I think we need to stop subsidizing degrees that are in demand.

Every time we do, we end up with a job market flooded by incompetent people without any passion for what they have studied.

I think killingart is totally right in saying that students of history are a very valuable resource. They may even prove to be our salvation one day.

We should not discount something we know little about.
Old 10-29-2011, 02:53 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
If you can't find a job after college. I think you need to stay in college because you are still too stupid to learn how to use a simple computer.

I had a job in less that 2 weeks when I graduated with a AS degree.

Same as now if you can't find a job your just being lazy and sucking the government teet.

There are plenty of jobs out there.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!