Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2011, 09:46 AM  

Department of Education

In ?An Inside Peek? I suggested that government agencies try to grow or at least maintain their status-quo and/or justify their existence. The Department of Education is just one of such, the Department of Energy another and the list goes on.

Consider that when the Department of Education was established in 1979 its budget was $14 billion and it employed 450 people (never you mind that we had built the greatest nation on the planet without needing it). By 2001 the department?s budget had grown to $43 billion and the workforce to 48,000 all without educating a single child. As a side, the departments chief beneficiary is the NEA which just happens to fund the democrat party with its contributions.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:00 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
so do you feel the military does the same? and you do realize the same happens in the corporate world as well, and what proof do you have that there has been absolutely no benefit?

DETAILS, DETAILS, DETAILS, where are they? facts and figures please!! not just your opinions, back them up with something meaningful.

Old 07-25-2011, 01:41 PM  

Greenville, SC
A few things here....

Old 07-25-2011, 08:54 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
and is this adjusted for the ADA act that began around the same time that likely puts far a LOT of strain on the system?

(don't get me wrong, I kind of agree with you here, but need to look at the data as narrowly as possible
Old 07-26-2011, 05:12 AM  

Greenville, SC
It appears that the Americans with Disabilities act was put into place in 1990. From looking at the charts, there was very little change in the accelleration of expenses "around" 1990. So, it appears that ADA could have made some difference. But, if ADA had never taken place, the charts would not be much different.
Old 07-26-2011, 06:05 AM  

Sammamish, WA
This is a pet peeve of mine, education should go back to being left up to the states. federal funds for education always come with rules, enabling the DOE to control what schools do, and the states eventually become dependent upon that money. Local control enables a state to adjust their educational programs to the needs and wishes of their voters and the local employers. Federal law such as ADA can still be implemented locally with local funds. If the federal taxes collected for operating the DOE were eliminated, and the states replaced it with their own taxes, much more of that money could be spent actually helping the schools instead of on a large federal bureaucracy.
Old 07-26-2011, 10:10 PM  

Chicago, Illinois
the charts and diagrams speak for themselves.
Old 07-27-2011, 05:30 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by iidesu View Post
the charts and diagrams speak for themselves.
Well, RedJeep asked for "facts and figures".... There they are.

Oh, and that third chart is why parents have to send all that stuff to school with their kids! (Here anyway) They send a list.. From what I understand, it isn't just notebooks and pencils anymore. It is toilet paper, hand sanitizer, chalk, paper towels... And YOUR KID DOESN'T KEEP THEM!!! They go into the classroom supplies to be used for everyone!
Old 07-27-2011, 10:48 AM  

Greenville, SC
Funny, every time I throw some good stats up on a thread the thread instantly dies.....
Wonder why??
Old 07-27-2011, 10:57 AM  
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɯnɹoɟ

VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
Well, RedJeep asked for "facts and figures".... There they are.

Oh, and that third chart is why parents have to send all that stuff to school with their kids! (Here anyway) They send a list.. From what I understand, it isn't just notebooks and pencils anymore. It is toilet paper, hand sanitizer, chalk, paper towels... And YOUR KID DOESN'T KEEP THEM!!! They go into the classroom supplies to be used for everyone!
I agree, this is one of the things that burns me up about when I send my daughter to school for the new year. Cause I know good and G*d damned well that those supplies are to help cover those students whos parents 'cant afford' these basic necessities.

Ironically, these same children are some of the best dressed... My wife teaches them when they make it to the HS.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads