Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2011, 11:00 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporLung View Post
I agree, this is one of the things that burns me up about when I send my daughter to school for the new year. Cause I know good and G*d damned well that those supplies are to help cover those students whos parents 'cant afford' these basic necessities.

Ironically, these same children are some of the best dressed... My wife teaches them when they make it to the HS.
And when they get to HS they are probably the ones with the fancy ($$) cellphones texting and all that garbage.....

Old 07-27-2011, 11:13 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
A few things here....

Excellent post!

Old 07-27-2011, 11:15 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
Excellent post!
Thanks! Don't thank me, thank the FACTS.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:49 AM  

Greenville, SC
Where did everybody go?
Old 07-28-2011, 06:44 AM  
AZ Resident

Surprise, Arizona
Quote:
Where did everybody go?
Did you post some stats again?
Old 07-28-2011, 08:30 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
They still don't differentiate between regular spending and special needs spending which has exploded during that time span and has been something the DOE has made a lot of grants regarding.

special needs costs are incredible and probably alone count for much or at least a significant portion of the increase at both the DOE and local schools
Old 07-28-2011, 09:55 AM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
They still don't differentiate between regular spending and special needs spending which has exploded during that time span and has been something the DOE has made a lot of grants regarding.

special needs costs are incredible and probably alone count for much or at least a significant portion of the increase at both the DOE and local schools
What are special needs? Do you mean special need students?
Old 07-28-2011, 10:21 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRB View Post
What are special needs? Do you mean special need students?
More specifically, I believe RedJeep is referring to the Americans with Disabilities Act enacted around 1990 which did increase the expenses for pretty much everyone (including schools) to accomodate the needs of those with disabilities.
(Not saying it is a bad thing...)
Old 07-28-2011, 11:04 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
More specifically, I believe RedJeep is referring to the Americans with Disabilities Act enacted around 1990 which did increase the expenses for pretty much everyone (including schools) to accomodate the needs of those with disabilities.
(Not saying it is a bad thing...)
well beyond simple facilities needs, if for example a deaf student is attending classes you cannot send them to a single school in the area, each school must then hire someone to perform sign language.

Same for mentally handicapped students, they are moved through the grades even though mentally they may still be at a elementary school level but each locations still needs all the special needs teachers/equipment etc which can get quite expensive to have student teacher ratios of 6 to 1 or often even lower for those students.

not bashing the special education system or those that need it, just saying if you look at numbers over the past ~30 years and do not account for those additional needs then your comparison is pointless as throwing money into a few students for special needs is not going to improve the overall scores for the school system
Old 07-28-2011, 11:36 AM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
So were talking about 42" wide doors and isles, ramps, grab bars, toilets with enough space for wheel chair use, etc.. Also extra specially trained teachers and programs for said special need students.

If so...... How did it work out prior to 1970 where one of the graphs here starts?

Are their more special need students per capita now than there was prior to 1970?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.