Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-10-2011, 09:41 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
Found this comment on glennbeck.com:
Regarding #4: The past 4 months of political posturing and volatility certainly haven't helped the recovery.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:23 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
Regarding #4: The past 4 months of political posturing and volatility certainly haven't helped the recovery.
True enough! Small businesses are afraid to do anything, some are holding back for 2012 to see if Obamacare can be squelched.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:58 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
After Day of Tumult, Dow Closes Up 430 Points
Old 08-10-2011, 11:36 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
After Day of Tumult, Dow Closes Up 430 Points
And right now the DOW is down 338 points. Kinda knocked out yesterday's rebound. When the market is going up and down by ~ 300-500 points a day, I think I will just sit back until the adjustment is made.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:59 AM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Yep the market is a bit volatile the last few days. Kind of like a roller coaster. If your staying in you better have your big boy pants on. As you can see the girley men are bailing out.

The only investments that I worry about is are the 529's college funds for the grand kids and my nieces and nephews. Total principal is around $200,000.00 They took their first hit in 2008 where they lost about 30% of their principal value. Prior to last Friday they were a few thousand $$$ ahead in interest. As of today they are a few thousand $$$ behind in principal value.

One niece has been accepted to Stanford University which she will start in Jan. 2012. I've locked her 529 fund yesterday to cash so as of yesterday value will not change. The other kids are several years away from the age to go to college so I've let those 529 funds ride.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:41 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
And right now the DOW is down 338 points. Kinda knocked out yesterday's rebound. When the market is going up and down by ~ 300-500 points a day, I think I will just sit back until the adjustment is made.
Yeah, it's probably not the right time to bet the farm... Personally, though, I'm betting everything that isn't already budgeted. If I lose it all, well, I'm still doing better than 99.99% of the idiots who play the lottery.

Lottery (n): A tax on people who are bad at math.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:22 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
True enough! Small businesses are afraid to do anything, some are holding back for 2012 to see if Obamacare can be squelched.
yeah... come on, that is tired. obamacare has nothing to do with the economy recovering from a recession, the problem is all the money is at the top and the top isn't spending, take that how you want but at the end of the day that is essentially the position we are in
Old 08-10-2011, 10:44 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
yeah... come on, that is tired. obamacare has nothing to do with the economy recovering from a recession, the problem is all the money is at the top and the top isn't spending, take that how you want but at the end of the day that is essentially the position we are in
Yeah but Obama care still has to go. Also, why would someone spend even one red cent if there wasn't going to be any or enough profit let alone a loss?
Old 08-11-2011, 02:30 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRB View Post
Yeah but Obama care still has to go. Also, why would someone spend even one red cent if there wasn't going to be any or enough profit let alone a loss?
Because what the government calls a profit and what someone calls a profit need not be the same thing. If at the end of the year, my business is more capable of earning money than it was at the beginning of the year, I've profited, even if I report a loss on my taxes. If at the end of the year, I employ 10 people, and at the beginning of the year, I employed 9, I've profited.

Higher taxes give me a greater incentive to spend on deductible expenses. They certainly don't hurt my ability to do business.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:21 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRB View Post
WHAT???? a government should not be interested in creating it's own "for-profit" health care system, it is not a business and is exactly why the government had to step in. Private industry left a huge hole and tons of hurdles to keep people from being insured and then can easily weasel out of them if the person costs too much. It is in the best interest of the united states to have a healthy populace and I would gladly pay for a health system that was actually reliable and dependable, which our system is not in any way, especially when compared to just about any developed country. ObamaCare is just one step in the direction we need to go, to be as much of a power as we are and still have this horrible excuse for a health care system is just pathetic. Imagine being able to do such things as leave a job and then have healthcare even with pre-existing conditions! in america you have to fully use cobra (which is insanely expensive) and even then companies will generally give you the run around as they don't want people signing up with pre-existings and even then can find some little insignificant clause to deny coverage, it's absurd.

obamacare is also FUNDED, something the republicans don't know anything about (they create stuff without funding it) and even play stupid (I hope they are playing stupid otherwise they truly are complete morons) as numerous times they have said "how can obamacare reduce the deficit if it costs us XXXbillion dollars" like they have no understanding of revenue

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads