Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-17-2012, 08:50 AM  

Not attempting to derail, but when we made dope busts at someone's home, we would verify whether or not the occupants were receiving Section 8 (Government Assistance) housing money, and if so, they were cancelled immediately, and then their paperwork was placed at the bottom of their paper pile, where it takes a minimum of two years to once again become eligible.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:29 AM  

Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu
Not attempting to derail, but when we made dope busts at someone's home, we would verify whether or not the occupants were receiving Section 8 (Government Assistance) housing money, and if so, they were cancelled immediately, and then their paperwork was placed at the bottom of their paper pile, where it takes a minimum of two years to once again become eligible.
I completely agree with this. If a person can afford drugs they don't need public assistance.

Old 03-17-2012, 10:44 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
I just feel story for the kids that don't have food because their parent screwed up and smoked a joint and is now afraid to apply. Of course if they would decrimininalize MJ, many of these things wouldn't matter. Or to be fair, make all elected and appointed officials take mandatory drug tests, too. They are all on the public dole.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:55 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by samfloor View Post
I just feel story for the kids that don't have food because their parent screwed up and smoked a joint and is now afraid to apply. Of course if they would decrimininalize MJ, many of these things wouldn't matter. Or to be fair, make all elected and appointed officials take mandatory drug tests, too. They are all on the public dole.
Agreed, that is a concern that would have to be addressed. MJ should be treated different from other illicit substances.

The "Kids going hungry because mom/dad prefers crack to government assistance" argument is a problematic one in that nobody wants to get between kids and their basic needs. The way I see it, though, there are mechanisms to identify and care for abused and neglected kids. Is it preferable for these kids to live with a crack-addict mother who feeds her drug habit with government money, or for these kids to be placed in foster care until mom decides to seek help for her drug problem?

A smallish minority of people otherwise capable of working but refusing to make themselves employable is the general problem. If they want to make themselves employable, whether that means getting a GED, attending a vocational school, or even checking themselves in to rehab, I think we should support that.
Old 03-17-2012, 04:44 PM  
fustrated genius

Rather it is MJ, crack, BEER, SODA POP or wine, if the gov money is being spent on these things are not the children's basic needs being compromised anyways? This kids need to be taken care of and if their parents want to spend the money on dope then the kids should be handled differently or they too will do the same. Most kids either one or the other, total monkey see/monkey do or complete oposite. Usually not the latter.

I think ALL drugs should be legal but government assistance should not be used for them.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:02 PM  

Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood
Rather it is MJ, crack, BEER, SODA POP or wine, if the gov money is being spent on these things are not the children's basic needs being compromised anyways? This kids need to be taken care of and if their parents want to spend the money on dope then the kids should be handled differently or they too will do the same. Most kids either one or the other, total monkey see/monkey do or complete oposite. Usually not the latter.

I think ALL drugs should be legal but government assistance should not be used for them.
I agree with you about decriminalizing MJ and see your point but I just can't see legalizing ALL drugs. To me MJ is no worse than alcohol and should be treated the same way. Restricting sales to adults by licensed retailers i.e. liquor stores, taxed accordingly and treated the same by law enforcement for DUI's. But for someone who wants to spend an evening in their own home with MaryJane I have no problem there.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:53 PM  

Greenville, SC
Mandatory birth control to keep the checks coming..

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 03-18-2012, 04:35 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
That crosses a civil liberties line that shouldn't be crossed. Eugenics.

Providing birth control as an additional benefit to those who want it would be OK with me.
Old 03-18-2012, 05:22 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
That sounds like facism.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:24 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by samfloor View Post
That sounds like facism.
I'm not talking about requiring everyone to do it. Only as a condition of recieving a check. Oh, and like I said in my post I knew I would catch flack for it.
Let me ask you three questions:

1. If someone cannot support themselves can they support another?
2. Would birth control go a long way towards stopping a cycle such as this?
3. If there is a way to end the cycle, and it is not required of anyone, why not do it? (nobody is being forced to do anything. Folks have a CHOICE whether to apply for aid or not.)

I understand the "taboo" nature of such a solution. That doesn't reflect whether it solves the problem though...

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads