Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-22-2013, 02:53 PM  

Durable Medical Equipment Cost

I recently experienced a compression fracture of vertebrate T-10. I was prescribed a C.A.S.H. brace which cost my insurance around $450. I couldn't use the brace but was told that it couldn't be returned after being custom fitted. The custom fitting consisted of adjustable padded arms and a removable strap that was cut to length. The brace looked more like a $20 item and it got me thinking.

At freewheelchairmission.org you can see wheelchairs that cost less than $75 but can't be distributed in the US because as the designing engineer says, "There are several reasons why wheelchairs are not given away in the United States. Distribution in North America and in the European Union are restricted because of both insurance and ISO certification restraints; the same design elements necessary to properly and efficiently navigate the rugged rural and urban terrain of developing countries move the FWM unit outside the parameters of stateside wheelchair standards." So it seems that the good ole US has regulated itself into high medical care costs. We once ordered a wheelchair to be used by a nursing home patient and the bill was over $450 and that was more than twenty years ago.

I wonder if the wheel chairs from the web site were sold to good Samaritans as chair wagons the gov regs could be circumvented? Some hearing aids are sold as amplifiers to accomplish the same result.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:06 AM  

Greenville, SC
I say blame the lawyers.

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 04-23-2013, 06:42 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
I say blame the lawyers.
Amen.

I think it's a violation of the separation of powers for professional lawyers (agents of the judicial branch) to serve in either the executive or legislative branches. A license to practice law should disqualify one from writing or executing law.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:05 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
Amen.

I think it's a violation of the separation of powers for professional lawyers (agents of the judicial branch) to serve in either the executive or legislative branches. A license to practice law should disqualify one from writing or executing law.
Yeah, I think they are bad for government... But what I was talking about was lawsuits that result in dumb laws and such to protect one from getting sued over something stupid. Such as things like someone drinking bleach getting sick then suing... So now, bleach has written on it "do not drink" or "not for consumption" (DUH!)... Don't know if that is a true example but you get the idea.... Basically laws to prevent stupid people (or career "victims") from cashing in for stupid stuff.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:29 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Why do you think they are able to file and win these frivolous lawsuits? Because the lawmakers have't put a stop to it. Assess all costs to the loser. Create a bigger risk for the plaintiff bringing the suit.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:59 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Why do you think they are able to file and win these frivolous lawsuits? Because the lawmakers have't put a stop to it. Assess all costs to the loser. Create a bigger risk for the plaintiff bringing the suit.
I definitely agree. I have many opinions concernng lawyers.

Somewhat related but:
I think that if a lawyer keeps someone out of prison and they go and commit the same crime, then the lawyer or judge or someone needs to have some skin in the game.. Not sure how but I'm sick and tired of hearing about repeat offenders. Especially when you talk about child molestors or rapists. It is just crazy. I feel like there are lawyers who knowingly defend someone who is guilty. How can these people sleep at night????

Old 04-24-2013, 10:16 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
Everyone is entitled to representation. What bothers me is that people with money get better representation than poor people.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:13 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by samfloor View Post
Everyone is entitled to representation. What bothers me is that people with money get better representation than poor people.
I guess everyone deserves representation I just cannot understand how someone could have a concience and try to get a criminal off the hook. Its a tough one, but I just get tired of people being let off and then they go and committ some heinus crime....

I don't know, seems that there is the same theme with several folks on here. Whatever they are against, it seems to tie into who has money or what company is more profitable. It's like if a company is big and successful it HAS to be bad... Or if someone is wealthy they HAD to have gotten it unfairly.... What is that all about??

Old 04-24-2013, 08:28 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
I guess everyone deserves representation I just cannot understand how someone could have a concience and try to get a criminal off the hook. Its a tough one, but I just get tired of people being let off and then they go and committ some heinus crime....

I don't know, seems that there is the same theme with several folks on here. Whatever they are against, it seems to tie into who has money or what company is more profitable. It's like if a company is big and successful it HAS to be bad... Or if someone is wealthy they HAD to have gotten it unfairly.... What is that all about??
"Criminals" don't deserve anyone trying to get them off the hook, but, in order to protect each and every one of us from a miscarriage of justice, the "accused" deserves a vigorous defense. He deserves such a defense the same way that we, falsely accused of his crime, would deserve such a defense.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:14 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
"Criminals" don't deserve anyone trying to get them off the hook, but, in order to protect each and every one of us from a miscarriage of justice, the "accused" deserves a vigorous defense. He deserves such a defense the same way that we, falsely accused of his crime, would deserve such a defense.
Yeah, the principle of what you say is accurate and I "agree" but.... What do you call it when a guilty party has such a "good" defense that he gets off the hook for his crime? And if he goes and commits a repeat of what he was (ahem) "wrongly"... accused for? Where was the failure in that situation? And what is to be done to keep it from happening? (By the way, I don't really have a solution for it, it just REALLY bugs me... )

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.