Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2013, 05:50 PM  

Faulty Bridges

As the lamestream media reported on the bridge collapse I confess I was ready to blame Obama. I thought how did he miss repairing this one with the stimulus? Then I tried to find a list of bridges repaired by the stimulus to no avail. I remember RA pointing out how it was better to repair and create infra-structure even with borrowed money, but I can't find any evidence. Anyone have a link to a list of crumbling bridges repaired by Obama.?

Old 05-29-2013, 08:22 PM  

Stafford, Virginia
How could he repair bridges when he can't even get rid of his wifes crabs?

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/20...ds_and_bridges

In my area they are building new HOT Lanes (High Occupancy Toll) but we have a bridge that has had rebar exposed since i moved here in 2001. they just recently put concrete patch over all the rusted rebar. the bad thing is they didn't remove the rusted sections they just concreted over them. So they will continue to rust and decay until it falls into the river.

Shoot the mixing bowl project has been going on for over 12 years and is still not done. We are lucky they got the wilson bridge done in a reasonable amount of time.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:40 AM  

Kent, Ohio
That's funny. Forward-looking, liberal-leaning legislators in my area approved the demolition and reconstruction of three bridges, the creation of a new one, and the rehabilitation of several others. One of the new ones was not a quarter mile from my house.

Regarding the bridges you're talking about: Sounds like the legislators responsible for having them maintained decided that we had a spending problem, not a revenue problem.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:25 AM  

I guess some jobs were just not shovel ready.
Old 05-30-2013, 10:44 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Every dilapidated bridge in the nation is as "shovel ready" as the bridge projects that went through in my town. What's lacking is the political will to spend money on them. Why repair them now if they'll probably last a couple more years without repairs?

Why is that, Eddie? Why is it that there is a lack of political will to fix these infrastructure problems? Why are we deferring maintenance on these projects, hastening their inevitable demise? Why are we leaving these problems for our kids to sort out?

I am happy to see you recognize some of the problems caused by the austerity measures you love to promote.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:26 AM  

I think most states spent the money on keeping public sector union jobs. I guess I'll just have to be happy with our new "turn out" lane.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.