Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2011, 12:02 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
The word is "Paranoid".

The fed reviewing social media and blogs in 2011 is akin to the fed reading the newspaper in 1960.
The newspaper wouldn't have my name and a link to my address in it.

Old 10-07-2011, 04:46 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
The newspaper wouldn't have my name and a link to my address in it.
Really? Every article I read in the newspaper had a byline. Every letter to the editor I've read has been signed with a name and a city.

The first step to digging yourself out of a hole is to stop digging. The first post could have been chalked up to a simple misunderstanding of the RFP, but at this point, you're just making yourself look silly. Let it go, my friend.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:25 AM  

Quote:
Really? Every article I read in the newspaper had a byline. Every letter to the editor I've read has been signed with a name and a city.

The first step to digging yourself out of a hole is to stop digging. The first post could have been chalked up to a simple misunderstanding of the RFP, but at this point, you're just making yourself look silly. Let it go, my friend.
No misunderstanding here. OBL was caught by assembly of bits and pieces of information. I have on multiple occasions unintentionally ended up with classified information by merely correlating bits of unclassified information from different venues. So the fed or the government can invade privacy by collecting and computer sorting bits and pieces of our lives. One of my unintentional discoveries was how a certain organization without listening to actual conversations does a computer search for key words and phrases and prints them out along with a source identifier.

Many think the patriot act is OK because they don't understand shadow-land ops.
Old 10-11-2011, 12:27 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
No misunderstanding here. OBL was caught by assembly of bits and pieces of information. I have on multiple occasions unintentionally ended up with classified information by merely correlating bits of unclassified information from different venues. So the fed or the government can invade privacy by collecting and computer sorting bits and pieces of our lives. One of my unintentional discoveries was how a certain organization without listening to actual conversations does a computer search for key words and phrases and prints them out along with a source identifier.

Many think the patriot act is OK because they don't understand shadow-land ops.
The PATRIOT ACT doesn't apply to this situation. The Fed is looking only at information released TO the public at large, BY the public at large. What you seem to be suggesting is that the Fed should have *no* access to *any* information unless it is specifically mailed to them. You seem to think that people are entitled to privacy from the government reading works they publish to the general public. THAT'S NOT HOW IT WORKS. When you post a comment publicly, ANYONE can read it, whether your neighbor, the FBI, MI6, or 國家安全部 (Ministry of State Security, People's Republic of China). The Fed doesn't need any special authority to read what the public has to say about it.

Before you get too impressed with yourself, you should know that you're trying to impress a former NSA intelligence analyst with your "unintentional discoveries" and understanding of "shadow-land ops".
Old 10-11-2011, 03:55 PM  

Quote:
Before you get too impressed with yourself, you should know that you're trying to impress a former NSA intelligence analyst with your "unintentional discoveries" and understanding of "shadow-land ops".
I doubt that, we are told not to flaunt our connections. BTW it was a "community" guy that I accidentally located in one of my unintentionals. I only mention the patriot act in that it can result in such collections of information, but you know that.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:54 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
I doubt that, we are told not to flaunt our connections. BTW it was a "community" guy that I accidentally located in one of my unintentionals. I only mention the patriot act in that it can result in such collections of information, but you know that.
Doubt it all you want, but while you're doubting it, go look at a Google satellite view of NSA or the intelligence or law enforcement agency of your choice. Specifically, the parking lots. Count the cars, and you'll get an idea of how many people were working at that particular time. Remember that number. Now, before you roleplay Agent Double-Oh-Wingnut again, recall that number and ask yourself what percentage of those people would think you were full of ****.
Old 10-11-2011, 05:38 PM  

Quote:
Doubt it all you want, but while you're doubting it, go look at a Google satellite view of NSA or the intelligence or law enforcement agency of your choice. Specifically, the parking lots. Count the cars, and you'll get an idea of how many people were working at that particular time. Remember that number. Now, before you roleplay Agent Double-Oh-Wingnut again, recall that number and ask yourself what percentage of those people would think you were full of ****.
Actually I got along quite well with the Ft. Meade guys. Some of the unintentionals involved them. We used the same food and watering holes, Hinkles and the Six Oh Duce. Wow, how I remember the Hinkles ham sandwich, it was a monster. Another fun incident involved a peddler who used my phone to call a spook at the NRL campus. He used only a first name, but I had just interviewed the guy a week or so earlier about a job there. I dropped the guy's full name and asked how he was doing and the color left his face as he thought he had said more than he really had. Bits and pieces can be correlated.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:22 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Actually I got along quite well with the Ft. Meade guys. Some of the unintentionals involved them. We used the same food and watering holes, Hinkles and the Six Oh Duce. Wow, how I remember the Hinkles ham sandwich, it was a monster. Another fun incident involved a peddler who used my phone to call a spook at the NRL campus. He used only a first name, but I had just interviewed the guy a week or so earlier about a job there. I dropped the guy's full name and asked how he was doing and the color left his face as he thought he had said more than he really had. Bits and pieces can be correlated.
And what does any of that have to do with the Fed's RFP?
Old 10-11-2011, 10:42 PM  

Quote:
And what does any of that have to do with the Fed's RFP?
. . . you were a a former NSA intelligence analyst and don't get it?
Old 10-12-2011, 12:00 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
. . . you were a a former NSA intelligence analyst and don't get it?
Apparently not.

You seem to be suggesting that the fed and/or the government should not have access to PUBLICLY AVAILABLE INFORMATION, because through the power of data mining, the government will invade the privacy of people.

The keyword here, though, is PUBLICLY AVAILABLE INFORMATION. THAT is the point you're missing. There is no expectation of privacy WHATSOEVER over publicly available information.

So no, if there is still an issue over the Fed establishing their own Facebook account, I don't get it. Nor do I "get" all the tangential paths you've led us down, attempting to equivocate public data mining with invasions of privacy.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.