Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 10-12-2011, 07:52 AM  

One never knows how such a vast database might be used and the government could gain access to it without a subpoena. BTW an RFP is not needed for a Facebook account, this is a bit deeper.

Old 10-12-2011, 09:59 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
One never knows how such a vast database might be used and the government could gain access to it without a subpoena.
Completely irrelevant, given that such a database would consist of PUBLICLY AVAILABLE INFORMATION.

I'll bet you're just thrilled that the Federal Government operates the Library of Congress.

Quote:
BTW an RFP is not needed for a Facebook account, this is a bit deeper.
Yes. This is a call to put together a team of people to monitor a wide variety of social media. Just as every major corporation has done at some point in the past decade. The question here is why it's taken the Fed so long to climb aboard.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:56 AM  

Security can be breached by merely correlating data from a couple of unrelated sources, as I have done unintentionally. Fortunately this is being debated at higher levels than this forum.

I broke anonymity for an individual on a forum by a correlation with an unrelated forwarded email by a third party. Since I wanted to be friends with the individual I approached it with caution through the third party.

I worked on a classified assignment where a magazine article contained more info than we could discuss in public. We were cautioned not to even discuss the content of the article because of the correlation factor (and that was before super computers). It's just hard to forget psy ops and intelligence procedures.

Remember Richard Jewell whose life was ruined because of false correlations?
Old 10-12-2011, 03:08 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Security can be breached by merely correlating data from a couple of unrelated sources,
Yes, one can acquire sensitive data by correlating unclassified information from multiple sources. The solution to this is proper INFOSEC, which basically means "If it can hurt you if a particular entity has access to it, DON'T PUBLISH IT IN PUBLIC."

The answer is not, and can never be, restricting an entity from observing your published works, whether those are books, blog entries, or comments on a forum.
Quote:
as I have done unintentionally. Fortunately this is being debated at higher levels than this forum.

I broke anonymity for an individual on a forum by a correlation with an unrelated forwarded email by a third party. Since I wanted to be friends with the individual I approached it with caution through the third party.

I worked on a classified assignment where a magazine article contained more info than we could discuss in public. We were cautioned not to even discuss the content of the article because of the correlation factor (and that was before super computers). It's just hard to forget psy ops and intelligence procedures.
You misunderstand the purpose of classification.

Suppose the information in question is "Tyrant Dictator visits Terrorist Training Camp".

The fact that the tyrant dictator visited the camp is NOT classified. It's known to a lot of people outside the intelligence community.

Now, we might get that information from imagery from a top secret satellite. We might get that information from a spy we have embedded in that camp. We might get that information from intercepting the radio chatter of his body guards.

On the other hand, someone within that camp or that dictator's staff might send that information direct to a dozen news organizations, complete with his own photos, documentation, and various other evidence.

The IMINT is classified; the HUMINT from the spy is classified; the SIGINT is classified. Release of any of those pieces of information can reveal sources and methods. Any sort of confirmation of the information to the news agencies, from an IMINT, HUMINT, or SIGINT source also reveals those sources and methods. THAT is what the classification system protects, the information under our control, the sources and methods under our control.

Compiling the public statements from a dozen different people to discover that the dictator visited the camp does NOT reveal classified information. Someone "in the know" confirming (or denying) that information *may* reveal classified information.

Unintentionally connecting the dots is always a danger, but the answer isn't to prohibit an entity from observing publicly available data. The answer is to control your own release of information, because that's all we can control.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:30 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
You misunderstand the purpose of classification.
I don't think I have any misunderstanding at all. You got this whole thing on a tangent by touting your credentials as an intelligence expert (most say little or nothing about such) . Please re-read my original post:
Quote:
The Federal Reserve wants to develop a highly sophisticated system that will gather everything we say about it on the internet "supposedly" to analyze what our feelings about it are. Of course accolades would be no problem, but why would it want to gather information on everyone that views it negatively? I am sure it won't base its policies on public opinion. They don't say how they actually plan to use this information but it clearly seems like a "big brother" is watching scenario.
Now, considering the ownership of the Fed and the fact that it is a bank, what business does it have in collecting and cataloging data on private citizens that speak their mind with regard to the Fed? No one said the Fed is breaking any law, but again is it stepping out of its charter to mine data on private citizens? Just what is the underlying purpose?
Old 10-14-2011, 10:09 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
I don't think I have any misunderstanding at all. You got this whole thing on a tangent by touting your credentials as an intelligence expert (most say little or nothing about such) . Please re-read my original post:
Now, considering the ownership of the Fed and the fact that it is a bank, what business does it have in collecting and cataloging data on private citizens that speak their mind with regard to the Fed? No one said the Fed is breaking any law, but again is it stepping out of its charter to mine data on private citizens? Just what is the underlying purpose?
Public information, therefore your question is irrelevant. Everyone - and I do mean EVERYONE - is not just allowed to, but is ENTITLED to collect any and all publicly available information they want, regardless of their intentions.

It seems that you would rather that the Fed cut off all of their information sources, and dictate policies completely blindly. Oh, that's not what you said? Then what would you allow them to have? Newspapers OK? TV? But not blogs? Can they read news articles at CNN.com? Do they have to ask for permission from the publisher to view any particular resource?

You. Are. Paranoid.

I say it's about damn time they joined the 21st century; they've wasted almost 12% of it.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:02 AM  

What's scary is that I am not alone!
Quote:
Federal Reserve Seeks Real-Time Monitoring of Social Networks to Identify Key Bloggers and ?Influencers?
Posted on Sep 27, 2011 in Federal Reserve & Bankers, Social Networking
Kevin Hayden ? TruthisTreason.net

Source: SHTF Plan

If you believe Ben Bernanke and his merry band of money printers don?t care about what you think, then consider the latest product development proposal from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. According to RFP (Request for Proposal) 6994, the Fed intends to build a real-time monitoring solution capable of mining and aggregating data across social networks like Facebook and Twitter, alternative news web sites and blogs, video sharing web sites, and mainstream media outlets.

Not only do they care about what you think, they want to know exactly who you are, what language you speak, who you?re talking to, where you?re getting your information, who you are sharing it with, and what your sentiment and emotional state is in reference to that specific moment.
Hayden?s Note:

I never, in my wildest dreams, thought that I would be tagging an article under both Social Networking and Federal Reserve categories in the same post. Interesting.

According to portions of the RFP, the Fed intends to collect, aggregate and analyze data, as well as to us this information to direct their own actions and responses. By identifying ?crisis? points with the new listening platform, the Fed will be able to specifically target information being put out by news web sites and even individual users (in forums or comments) and then respond to that information in kind by either contacting ?key bloggers? and ?influencers,? or simply ramping up their public relations machine to either discredit the message, or simply rewrite the message through the spread of news releases to major internet distribution channels and heavily trafficked social networks.

The Federal Reserve?s Criteria for its Sentiment Analysis And Social Media Monitoring Solution are described, in part, below:

Description: Federal Reserve Bank of New York (?FRBNY?) is extending to suppliers an invitation to participate in anSentiment Analysis And Social Media Monitoring Solution RFP bid process. The intent is to establish a fair andequitable partnership with a market leader who will who gather data from various social media outlets and news sources and provide applicable reporting to FRBNY. This Request for Proposal (?RFP?) was created in an effort tosupport FRBNY?s Social Media Listening Platforms initiative.

?

I. Introduction

Social media platforms are changing the way organizations are communicating to the public Conversations are happening all the time and everywhere.

There is need for the Communications Group to be timely and proactively aware of the reactions and opinions expressed by the general public as it relates to the Federal Reserve and its actions on a variety of subjects.

II. Social Listening Platforms

Social media listening platforms are solutions that gather data from various social media outlets and news sources. They monitor billions of conversations and generate text analytics based on predefined criteria. They can also determine the sentiment of a speaker or writer with respect to some topic or document.

The information gathered can guide the organizations public relations group in assessing the effectiveness of communication strategies.

Here are some of the services it can offer:

Track reach and spread of your messages and press releases
Handle crisis situations
Continuously monitor conversations
Identify and reach out to key bloggers and influencers
Spot emerging trends, discussions themes and topics

A. Geographic scope of social media sites

The solution must support content coming from different countries and geographical regions. It should also support multiple languages.

B. Content and Data Types

The solution must be able to gather data from the primary social media platforms ?Facebook, Twitter, Blogs, Forums and YouTube. It should also be able to aggregate data from various media outlets such as: CNN, WSJ, Factiva etc.

C. Reports and Metrics

The solution must provide real-time monitoring of relevant conversations. It should provide sentiment analysis (positive, negative or neutral) around key conversational topics.

It must be able to provide summaries or high level overviews of a specific set of topics. It should have a configurable dashboard that can easily be accessed by internal analysts or management. The dashboard must support customization by user or group access.

The solution should provide an alerting mechanism that automatically sends out reports or notifications based a predefined trigger.

D. FRBNY Technology Integration

The solution must be able to integrate with existing FRBNY technologies such as: Google Search appliance, Lotus notes suite and web trends.It must have support for single sign on or windows integrated authentication.

Sourced Via Zero Hedge and Scribd

What?s important to note is that the Federal Reserve Bank of New York does not intend to build a completely new platform. Their intention is to establish a relationship with an existing market leader ? likely one of the information mining and gathering platforms already in existence, such as a large search engine ? with whom they can then integrate their systems.
Maybe the NSA could help the fed, sounds a bit like NSAs "word and phrase" searches and triggers. An NSA antenna inherited from NASA via the GSA and since passed to PARI.

Old 10-15-2011, 09:10 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
What's scary is that I am not alone!
I agree fully. The scary part is that your opinions are shared by some other people.
Old 10-15-2011, 10:41 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
I agree fully. The scary part is that your opinions are shared by some other people.
Note that this is dated long before the patriot act. People just need to be aware of what the government and now the fed is doing, otherwise ignorance is bliss. This from: Shadow Research, Inc* -Secret Base Reports 2-
Quote:
Rosman Research Station
Rosman, NC

The Rosman Research Station is located in the Pisgah National Forest of North Carolina's Smoky Mountains, near Balsam Grove, NC, off Route 215 approximately 11 kilometers north of Route 64. The station, which closed in 1994, was operated by approximately 250 NSA, Bendix Field Engineering and TRW employees.

The National Aeronautics and Space Administration began operations at the Rosman Spaceflight Tracking Station in 1963, and ceased activities there in January 1981. During NASA's tenure the station supported a number of space projects, including the Apollo and Apollo-Soyuz missions. The station at Rosman was turned over to the General Services Administration by NASA on 1 February 1981. The facility was converted by the Department of Defense for use as a Communications Research Station, a process which was completed in early July 1981. Initially there were approximately 35 contract personnel living in the area, but when the project became operational in July, this number increased to approximately 75 employees. The NSA role at Rosman apparently began almost immediately thereafter. By 1985 this number was reported to have grown to 250 employees, with annual payroll at $5 million, an average of $20,000 a year [The Asheville Citizen 20 June 1985]. For FY85 NSA requested $500,000 for construction of an electric substation to provide additional electric transformer capacity that is required to support station operations. It is difficult to ascertain the total number of satellite receiving antenna at the facility. These at least include two very large dishes, approximately 27.5 feet in diameter (the size of the biggest dish left by NASA), and a smaller 6.2 meter radome.

The Rosman Station was used to intercept telephone and other communications traffic carried by commercial and other communications satellites in geostationary orbit over the Western hemisphere. Potential targets of interest could include Latin American military, diplomatic and commercial traffic as well as domestic US traffic and drug traffickers in the Caribbean.

Source: National Security Agency
Updated on Monday, December 23, 1996 - 7:06:21 AM
Created by John Pike
Maintained by Steven Aftergood
The dish size is in error, both are 85 feet in diameter.
Old 10-16-2011, 07:35 AM  

Stafford, Virginia
Man this is one weird thread we went from the fed watching Facebook to see how people feel about them to top secret material to a ham sammich at some bar to an NSA station in the blue ridge mountains..

Many companies monitor social networking sites like facebook myspace google+ it is a huge customer base. I am sure every major comply out there has a couple of people or teams of people watching these sites to see what the trends are.

I can tell you this that all larger companies use Facebook and myspace as part of the hiring process anymore. They look you up and check you out on there. I know personally a few people that lost their job due to post on Facebook.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!