Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 10-16-2011, 08:18 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurdoc34 View Post
Man this is one weird thread we went from the fed watching Facebook to see how people feel about them to top secret material to a ham sammich at some bar to an NSA station in the blue ridge mountains..

Many companies monitor social networking sites like facebook myspace google+ it is a huge customer base. I am sure every major comply out there has a couple of people or teams of people watching these sites to see what the trends are.

I can tell you this that all larger companies use Facebook and myspace as part of the hiring process anymore. They look you up and check you out on there. I know personally a few people that lost their job due to post on Facebook.
Absolutely true, but a bit weird that the fed needs to do it. The reason for all the rabbit trails is to entertain the secret NSA operative that jumped into this forum. Shhhhhhhh . . .

Old 10-16-2011, 04:23 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
Absolutely true, but a bit weird that the fed needs to do it.
The Fed does business just like any other organization. It behooves them to listen to the demands of their customers.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:44 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
The Fed does business just like any other organization. It behooves them to listen to the demands of their customers.
But aren't their primary customers member banks?
Old 10-17-2011, 07:55 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
But aren't their primary customers member banks?
Sure. In the same way that Coca Cola's primary customers are bottling plants and distributors.

The real customers are the end-users, the people who are using banking products that are affected by the Fed's policies.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:05 AM  

Quote:
Sure. In the same way that Coca Cola's primary customers are bottling plants and distributors.

The real customers are the end-users, the people who are using banking products that are affected by the Fed's policies.
Apple and oranges.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:24 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Apple and oranges.
I admit it's a loose analogy, but it is a fairly accurate one. Read the RFP again, but this time without the assumption that the Fed is working for the NSA. Don't worry, I won't ask you to take off your tinfoil helmet.

(I would point out, though, that the spinal column is the worrisome part. It acts just like the radiative element in an antenna array)
Old 10-17-2011, 11:10 AM  

Quote:
I admit it's a loose analogy, but it is a fairly accurate one. Read the RFP again, but this time without the assumption that the Fed is working for the NSA. Don't worry, I won't ask you to take off your tinfoil helmet.

(I would point out, though, that the spinal column is the worrisome part. It acts just like the radiative element in an antenna array)
Stand by for yet another take on the subject (maybe you should just invest in tinfoil futures rather than being paranoid about all those helmets out there). BTW an antenna array has a driven element and all the other elements are radiative:
Quote:
The Fed wants an app for monitoring public opinion | TG Daily
Posted on September 28, 2011 - 13:51 by David Gomez

The Federal Reserve is looking to hire some coders.
They want to commission an app that will allow them to monitor public opinion in real time and track how much influence their communications have on public opinion.

In other words, they want to spy on billions of people. The unnamed app, referred to as a "Sentiment Analysis and Social Media Monitoring Solution," would give them the ability to use information they?ve gained from spying to formulate a counter attack on the negative opinions the public has about them.

This news was first reported on ZeroHedge a few days ago and it has made the Federal Reserve even more unpopular. It could have something to do with some of the official wording in the Federal Reserve?s Request for Proposal. It?s disturbing, so disturbing that it?s being labeled as Orwellian.

It could be that people are upset because the Fed wants to "monitor billions of conversations" and "identify and reach out to key bloggers and influencers."

And how about this gem?

"There is need for the Communications Group to be timely and proactively aware of the reactions and opinions expressed by the general public as it relates to the Federal Reserve and its actions on a variety of subjects."

They also want an "alerting mechanism" that sends out notices via a "predefined trigger."

This will allow the Fed to instantly know when people are talking about anything related to the privately owned central bank?s misdeeds.

A system like this would probably be expensive and it?s definitely creepy when you consider the fact that it will be designed to distinguish between "influencers versus followers." This will allow the organization to figure out who their biggest intellectual rivals are.

They know that their biggest enemy in government is Congressman Ron Paul, and it appears they might want this tool to pick out members of the public who are also spreading negative (but true) things about them.

And when they say in the RFP that they want to reach out to key anti-Federal Reserve bloggers and opinion sharers, what does that mean exactly? I ask that question because in espionage and clandestine operations, once you identify the target, you only watch them for a limited time before they are neutralized in some way.

How would the Federal Reserve counter its intellectual opponents on social media and blogs? Will they have trolls bombard the comments sections with goofy statements that make everyone associated with an online community look like Jared Lee Loughner?

Would they get some code monkeys to craft malware that methodically attacks websites with anti-Federal Reserve articles?

We have no idea what they?ll really do yet. But you don?t really think they?d reach out to the bloggers and influencers by sending friendly emails with a point by point counter argument, do you? Remember, these are the same people who secretly bailout foreign banks with taxpayer money.

When the groups that control the money supply and purchasing power starts seeking out a tool which will allow them to control how the public see their nefarious schemes, well, that?s when you really have to consider if you should really continue using their central bank system.

These people inflate the currency supply and destroy the value of the dollar, which kills our purchasing power and therefore our quality of life. For almost 100 years a small minority voice has been saying that the Federal Reserve is bad for economic prosperity - as they undermine liberty with their power to create money out of thin air.

It is now 2011 and people are starting to wake up and demand answers as to why so many jobs are being destroyed. Some answers point to the Federal Reserve, and that?s why they need an app that might be able to allow them to silence their critics.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:42 PM  

Today I accidentally bridged confidentiality and used it as an example to explain the problem of data mining to the group. While it is true that one should expect than anyone can see what is placed out there on social media it is the correlation of what more than one person is saying that may result in too much information. What happened today was that I had information from another source that identified who a nurse was talking about, even though she did not reveal it. When I told her what the NSA used to do using 85' dish antennas near us she exclaimed "that is illegal!". When I told her how long the government had been searching for "key words and phrases" she was astounded and quite concerned that the fed now has intentions of entering the game.
Old 10-26-2011, 08:06 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Today I accidentally bridged confidentiality and used it as an example to explain the problem of data mining to the group. While it is true that one should expect than anyone can see what is placed out there on social media it is the correlation of what more than one person is saying that may result in too much information. What happened today was that I had information from another source that identified who a nurse was talking about, even though she did not reveal it. When I told her what the NSA used to do using 85' dish antennas near us she exclaimed "that is illegal!". When I told her how long the government had been searching for "key words and phrases" she was astounded and quite concerned that the fed now has intentions of entering the game.
Well of course she was astounded and concerned. You painted the picture with your paranoia brush. I'll bet you neglected to show her all the organizations that already do this, didn't you? Coca Cola, for example? Every major corporation on the planet? Every market research group on the planet? Facebook themselves? Did you happen to explain to her that Google's entire business model relies on "data maning" as you call it? Ever hear of SEO? It's an entire industry designed to exploit "data miners", make sure that their data is pushed to the top of the stack wherever and whenever possible.

You don't seem to be that upset that the FBI monitors the internet, and much more closely than the Fed. You don't seem upset that Coca Cola monitors the internet, and much more closely than the Fed. You don't seem upset that Google monitors the internet, and much more closely than just about anyone. What is with your paranoid obsession with the Fed getting involved in social media?
Old 11-03-2011, 09:04 AM  

The Federal Reserve doesn't deal in money, it deals in illusion and its product (the dollar) is but an illusion of wealth. Now with the speed of the internet the fed is worried about how its illusion and manipulation techniques are being understood by too many people. IOW the fed is now iteself being perceived as an illusion. It may be data mining in hopes of finding a means of plugging the dike. It wants to “Identify and reach out to key bloggers and influencers.” But if that fails, as it will, how then might that data be used . . .

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!