Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-05-2011, 03:25 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
The Federal Reserve wants to develop a highly sophisticated system that will gather everything we say about it on the internet "supposedly" to analyze what our feelings about it are. Of course accolades would be no problem, but why would it want to gather information on everyone that views it negatively? I am sure it won't base its policies on public opinion. They don't say how they actually plan to use this information but it clearly seems like a "big brother" is watching scenario.
Just an observation, but now does the NSA have someone to monitor on the internet?

Old 11-05-2011, 03:49 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Just an observation, but now does the NSA have someone to monitor on the internet?
It's a resource available to the general public, including every 2-bit dictator and terrorist on the planet. It would be pretty foolish to assume they are not.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:48 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
It's a resource available to the general public, including every 2-bit dictator and terrorist on the planet. It would be pretty foolish to assume they are not.
Maybe I wasn't clear enough, I meant your name has now risen above the radar.

BTW most legitimate businesses are content with demographics and trends, they would never go to the detail of the fed in finding your mailbox and all of your conversations about them. ("Handle crisis situations, Continuously monitor conversations, and Identify and reach out to key bloggers and influencers.")

Of course this could all be a ruse just to test the waters and see how people respond to data mining. Zero Hedge seems to be the origin I can't find the rfp listed for the FRBNY.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:03 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Maybe I wasn't clear enough, I meant your name has now risen above the radar.
This nation fails when people are too afraid to talk. This nation fails when our government of the people isn't able to hear the people, whether that's because it refuses to listen, or because the people refuse to speak.

If I was concerned about my name being "above the radar", I wouldn't have spoken. I would not have applied for a job that required a security clearance. I do not fear "the government" - I *AM* the government; I live in a democracy.

You live in a dictatorship. You fear that anyone will hear your voice and be able to identify you. Consequently, your voice is unrepresented in government. You are a subject; I am a citizen.
Quote:

BTW most legitimate businesses are content with demographics and trends, they would never go to the detail of the fed in finding your mailbox and all of your conversations about them. ("Handle crisis situations, Continuously monitor conversations, and Identify and reach out to key bloggers and influencers.")
Where in the RFP does it say anything about going into my mailbox? We are having a conversation (about the Fed no less) in a public forum. Privacy is not one of the inherent attributes of a conversation. The Fed would not be intruding on our privacy in the slightest by monitoring this conversation.

What do you mean, "content with demographics and trends"? Most legitimate businesses use social media not just for data mining, but also for advertisement, customer service, and customer relations. Twitter is filled with examples of someone making a complaint about a company and that company seeking out and resolving that complaint.

I made a complaint in a public forum about a fairly serious problem with Lens.com's billing procedures. (They billed my card, and when the shipment was returned by their carrier, they rebilled my card before they refunded the first charges). Lens.com found that complaint and within 2 hours of posting, they called me up, verified and acknowledged the problem, and committed to solving my issue as well as the systemic problem with their billing. That's a bit more than monitoring "demographics and trends"
Old 11-08-2011, 01:33 PM  

How will the fed reach out to key bloggers? Maybe offer a special deal on T-Bills?

Don't call me a subject, I am not the one defending Obama and his minions (in fact I like to taunt them). I just offered a comment about the fed's extreme measures of data mining then you jumped to its defense with some apples and oranges.

But seriously do you think the NSA likes former analysts commenting in public forum? I have experienced a military NSA assignee that wished I wouldn't discuss the key word and phrase venture in public.
Old 11-08-2011, 05:58 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
How will the fed reach out to key bloggers? Maybe offer a special deal on T-Bills?
Perhaps by explaining the Fed's position to them as I have explained it to you; Perhaps by taking the blogger's concerns back to Fed management.
Quote:

Don't call me a subject,
Stop acting like a subject and I'll stop referring to you as one. Stop acting like the government is a monarchy to be feared and start acting like it's a democracy to be participated in. Start acting like an upstanding citizen in charge of his government, instead of a subject cowering to his government, and I'll stop referring to you as a subject.
Quote:
I am not the one defending Obama and his minions (in fact I like to taunt them). I just offered a comment about the fed's extreme measures of data mining then you jumped to its defense with some apples and oranges.
You're criticizing ME about apples and oranges? YOU are the one who first insinuated that this RFP was a method for the government and the intelligence community to read personal e-mail accounts and conduct warrantless wiretapping. Your entire position here has been discredited. Every "sinister" aspect you attribute to the Fed's RFP is either constitutionally prohibited or already being done by individuals, and corporate, government, and non-government organizations. (Or both prohibited and conducted; in which case I expect to see court cases)

Quote:
But seriously do you think the NSA likes former analysts commenting in public forum? I have experienced a military NSA assignee that wished I wouldn't discuss the key word and phrase venture in public.
I can't speak for NSA; I can only speak for myself.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:17 PM  

Since the fed's product is the dollar which is but an illusion of wealth how might it improve its product by the intrusions outlined in the RFP (gold may also be an illusion of wealth but the fed can't print gold)? My bank sends me a letter every year explaining what information it gathers about me and how it uses it though it be quite a bit less than what the fed proposes to gather. If a private entity proposed to gather the same info that the fed proposes there would be congressional outcry and hearings. My guess is that the fed is more concerned about people waking up to what it really is, how it came into being, that it is not a government office or agency and that it is partially foreign owned.

Again I am just informing others, I will have fun with it if it comes to pass. It's amazing what the public doesn't know. Back to the NSA, people within walking distance of those 85" dishes didn't even know what sigint was (the sign on the roadway merely called it a research station). Once during a visit to the (then) Comsat Earth terminal at Etam, WV a member of my group asked where the little man with the headset was, the reply was on the other side of the wall as there were no demodulators on the Comsat side (and that was many years before any public awareness or concern).
Old 11-09-2011, 01:22 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Since the fed's product is the dollar which is but an illusion of wealth how might it improve its product by the intrusions outlined in the RFP (gold may also be an illusion of wealth but the fed can't print gold)?
ALL currency - fiat or commodity based - is but an illusion of wealth. Even gold itself is valuable not because of its inherent scarcity but because a lot of people seem to want it.

What is Coca Cola's product? If you answered soda, you're wrong. Coca Cola's product is the "illusion of soda" - the brand name. Their social media efforts aren't to improve coca cola, but to improve the public's perception of Coca Cola. The Fed's product isn't the dollar, as you stated, but the perception of the dollar.
Quote:
My bank sends me a letter every year explaining what information it gathers about me and how it uses it though it be quite a bit less than what the fed proposes to gather.
I don't even know what bank you're using, but I'd bet $5 that they have a social media program.
https://twitter.com/#!/BofA_News
https://twitter.com/#!/FifthThird
https://twitter.com/#!/CharterOne
https://twitter.com/#!/Citibank
https://twitter.com/#!/WellsFargo
https://twitter.com/#!/TFCU

How well they are implementing that program I don't know. What are the privacy policies of their public relations and social media divisions? Are they forbidden from reading this conversation because they didn't disclose to you that they might read it? No. Of course not. They can read anything they want to online without telling anyone anything BECAUSE YOU HAVE NO EXPECTATION OF PRIVACY IN A PUBLIC FORUM.

Quote:

If a private entity proposed to gather the same info that the fed proposes there would be congressional outcry and hearings.
Google? Pretty sure they gather a hell of a lot more info than the fed could ever hope to tap into. Oh, that's not personal enough? How about pipl.com?

Quote:
My guess is that the fed is more concerned about people waking up to what it really is, how it came into being, that it is not a government office or agency and that it is partially foreign owned. Again I am just informing others,
No, you're passing off your own half-baked paranoid delusions as fact. That's called "lying to people", not "informing others". The Fed puts out an RFP to set up a program to read blogs and watch social media, and you're painting it as something unusual and nefarious, while neglecting to mention that practically every other organization on the planet, public and private, does exactly the same kinds of things that the Fed is looking to do. Instead of chastising the Fed for taking this long to join the internet era, you're condemning them for trying to catch up.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:06 AM  

A good and proper example of connecting the dots was the bin Laden capture. It began with a code name for a possible courier which with maybe years of sigint and comint led to a real name, and finally to the assassination of bin Laden. I was merely pointing out that dots can be connected from public media that when assembled in one place can yield TMI (and possibly profiling). Mr. NSA then jumped in with his superior experience and knowledge and the rabbit trails began. Bottom line, the fed doesn't need such data and Coca Cola is not spending that amount of money to track anyone no matter what Mr. NSA claims.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:56 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
A good and proper example of connecting the dots was the bin Laden capture. It began with a code name for a possible courier which with maybe years of sigint and comint led to a real name, and finally to the assassination of bin Laden. I was merely pointing out that dots can be connected from public media that when assembled in one place can yield TMI (and possibly profiling). Mr. NSA then jumped in with his superior experience and knowledge and the rabbit trails began. Bottom line, the fed doesn't need such data and Coca Cola is not spending that amount of money to track anyone no matter what Mr. NSA claims.
That's right, backpedal. You tried to turn "The Fed is going to start participating in social media" into "The Fed is going to read your email", and you failed.

In the OP, you suggested this was a "Big Brother" program.
In #4 you started talking about carrier-retained text messages, and destroyed any credibility you may have had about the Fed's RFP.
In #7 you started talking about tracking via SSN
In #13, you started talking about how adept you were at gathering classified information from unclassified sources. I called you out on the stupidity of that idea.
In #25, you suggest that organizations shouldn't be allowed to use the internet.
In #27, you suggest the RFP to monitor social networks is akin to NSA's mission
My personal favorite, in #53, you started talking about the Fed reading personal e-mail accounts!

NONE of this has a thing to do with the Fed's request. The Fed is getting involved in social media, nothing more. It's about time.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads