Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Reply
Old 05-26-2012, 11:36 PM  
Senior Member
 
Jake7's Avatar

Honolulu, Hawaii
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,294 | Kudos: +135
Images: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival

Not seeing your claim supported. Can you clarify?
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/obam...through-reagan

There's a good article on it. They're pretty abundant. This is just the first one that came up on Google. Oh, and he did it in just his first 19 months in office.
__________________

__________________
Discover Scentsy at Lucky Lucy Scentsy Products - an independent Scentsy consultant!


https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 11:37 PM  
Senior Member
 
Jake7's Avatar

Honolulu, Hawaii
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,294 | Kudos: +135
Images: 45
http://cnsnews.com/news/article/obam...ough-george-hw

Another one. This ones all presidents. One above this is just through reagan. My fault.
__________________

__________________
Discover Scentsy at Lucky Lucy Scentsy Products - an independent Scentsy consultant!


https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:10 AM  
Senior Member

Kent, Ohio
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,237 | Kudos: +67
"Adding debt" does not imply "increased spending". Reduced revenues, caused by a recession that occurred before we even voted him into office, are the major cause of the debt increase.

Furthermore, I saw nothing in either of those articles that addressed inflation, or the fact thag Reagan-era dollars were far more valuable than current dollars.
__________________
We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 12:59 PM  
Senior Member
 
Jake7's Avatar

Honolulu, Hawaii
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,294 | Kudos: +135
Images: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival
"Adding debt" does not imply "increased spending". Reduced revenues, caused by a recession that occurred before we even voted him into office, are the major cause of the debt increase.

Furthermore, I saw nothing in either of those articles that addressed inflation, or the fact thag Reagan-era dollars were far more valuable than current dollars.
Wow. More spending than all the presidents before him combined, and you're still blaming it on bush. I'm at a loss. You win.
__________________
Discover Scentsy at Lucky Lucy Scentsy Products - an independent Scentsy consultant!


https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 03:27 PM  
Administrator
 
samfloor's Avatar

Missouri
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,845 | Kudos: +114
Before Obama, 70% of the national debt was created during the terms of Reagan and the 2 Bushes. So they are all guilty. The only reduction in the national debt in the last 30 years came during the Clinton years.
__________________
AKA....Rusty, Floorist, etc.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:45 PM  
Senior Member

Kent, Ohio
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,237 | Kudos: +67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
Wow. More spending than all the presidents before him combined, and you're still blaming it on bush. I'm at a loss. You win.
Because it's *not* "more spending than all the presidents before him combined". Even your sources don't make that claim. They claim "Obama Has Now Increased Debt More than All Presidents"

Do you understand the difference? Do you understand that spending can remain at the levels G.W. left it at, but that due to lower revenue, the debt will increase?
__________________
We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart
Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:19 PM  
Senior Member

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,892 | Kudos: +92
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Federal spending under Obama has risen less than anytime in past 60 years.-usbudgetovertimefull-820x563.jpg 

__________________
I remember when power tools and small appliances had flexible cords.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:32 AM  
Senior Member

Kent, Ohio
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,237 | Kudos: +67
Thank you, Eddie. That chart clearly shows what happened in Bush's last year in office: spending jumped dramatically. If you fit trend lines or curves to that data, you will see that Bush's spending jumped well above, and obama's projected spending comes back down to approach, if not go below that line or curve. Now, I know it annoys you to no end that the trend lines aren't perfectly level, but the reality of the situation is that we as a nation are better off with the debt than we would be if we had failed to spend what we did.
__________________
We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart
Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:28 PM  
Senior Member

Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,892 | Kudos: +92
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
Thank you, Eddie. That chart clearly shows what happened in Bush's last year in office: spending jumped dramatically. If you fit trend lines or curves to that data, you will see that Bush's spending jumped well above, and obama's projected spending comes back down to approach, if not go below that line or curve. Now, I know it annoys you to no end that the trend lines aren't perfectly level, but the reality of the situation is that we as a nation are better off with the debt than we would be if we had failed to spend what we did.
And just why might it annoy me? My concern is a debt that cannot be repaid and no-one has even a hint of a plan to mitigate it. I am not better off, and don't know anyone that is. The spending didn't help as it was misspent. If confidence is not lost things finally turn around on their own but the curve just keeps going upward which is dangerous. I just read "Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse", I hope we don't go that far.
__________________
I remember when power tools and small appliances had flexible cords.
Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 12:37 AM  
Senior Member

Kent, Ohio
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,237 | Kudos: +67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
If confidence is not lost things finally turn around on their own
Ok, you seem to get it. A fiat currency's value is entirely determined by the confidence its users have in it.

My question to you is this: Why are you so hell-bent on shaking people's confidence?
__________________

__________________
We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Suggested Threads

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.