Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2011, 08:54 AM  

Greenville, SC
Females in the military (sexually) assaulted/brass turns a blind eye..

Did Pentagon turn blind eye to rape victims? - U.S. news - Life - Military - msnbc.com

I know that this is a touchy subject... I will likely have a very unpopular view on this. I will try to tread lightly.....

This problem with sexual assault in the military.... I wonder how previlent this was in WWII...Hmm... (this ought to be fun...maybe)

Old 02-15-2011, 10:36 AM  
Traveler

I would say in light of the fellow who was kicked out recently for the making of that contriverial film, that the military is certainly attempting to clean up its act.

Old 02-15-2011, 10:48 AM  

Greenville, SC
Yeah, I think they can try to clean it up. I do not think the problem will ever go away. There will always be problems with the co-ed setup. I think it is very unfortunate because I do honor greatly those that defend our freedoms both men and women.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:39 AM  

Austin
So then what's your point? Controversial I'm assuming means you support or condone rape. It wouldn't be controversial other wise.

Am I correct?

As for the WW2 point, are you saying rape didn't occur? Or are you saying soldiers didn't rape other soldiers?
Old 02-16-2011, 12:02 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funetical View Post
So then what's your point? Controversial I'm assuming means you support or condone rape. It wouldn't be controversial other wise.

Am I correct?

As for the WW2 point, are you saying rape didn't occur? Or are you saying soldiers didn't rape other soldiers?
I most certainly do not condone rape.
As for the WW2 point. I just think that before we had men and women spending so much time together in combat roles and in barracks and such we likely did not have as much of an issue with sexual assault. I could be very mistaken.
The controversial part is that if it was not a co-ed situation we wouldn't have this problem being as prevelant.

I am not sexist. I just don't think it is a good idea.
Old 02-16-2011, 01:00 PM  

Austin
So then where would we get all those soldiers that ladies comprise?

Finding an issue, then refusing to find a way to adapt it, although we are clearly a socially progressive society, is backwards.

If there's a problem with rape in a city, is the solution to remove woman?

Why would it be any different? We teach soldiers how to kill, you'd think we could teach them not to rape. It speaks poorly of our service men and woman to think the solution is to segregate (which has never worked, ever).
Old 02-16-2011, 01:30 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funetical View Post
So then where would we get all those soldiers that ladies comprise?

Finding an issue, then refusing to find a way to adapt it, although we are clearly a socially progressive society, is backwards.

If there's a problem with rape in a city, is the solution to remove woman?

Why would it be any different? We teach soldiers how to kill, you'd think we could teach them not to rape. It speaks poorly of our service men and woman to think the solution is to segregate (which has never worked, ever).
I have the utmost of respect for all of our servicemembers (they are still people). I just believe that either you are going to have the sexual assaults or you are going to have women using the threat of an accusation as a way to get further or get away with more themselves. You cannot prevent it from being a he said she said situation. As far as where to get the servicemembers to replace them, I do not kow. That would likely be a problem in itself also.
All I am saying is that once it was fully integrated, you absolutely cannot avoid the complications associated with it.

It's almost like taking a summer camp and mixing the boys and girls in the cabins. Do you think there wouldn't be any problems?
(I know you may say something like "oh, you are comparing our servicemen to children!"... Well, I know there are likely some in there who could behave like children. Definitely would not think it to be most of them though. It is almost always the few who ruin it for everyone else...)
Oh yeah, "segregation" never works.... Guess that's why public restrooms aren't seperate.... Oh, wait.....
Old 02-16-2011, 02:15 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
Yeah, I think they can try to clean it up. I do not think the problem will ever go away. There will always be problems with the co-ed setup. I think it is very unfortunate because I do honor greatly those that defend our freedoms both men and women.

I do too. Just saw a piece on a woman chopper pilot and I'm glad we have her skills taking care of our air cover. I also agree it's probably a social problem since it's hardly confined to the military.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:07 PM  

Austin
Quote:
I have the utmost of respect for all of our servicemembers (they are still people). I just believe that either you are going to have the sexual assaults or you are going to have women using the threat of an accusation as a way to get further or get away with more themselves. You cannot prevent it from being a he said she said situation. As far as where to get the servicemembers to replace them, I do not kow. That would likely be a problem in itself also.
All I am saying is that once it was fully integrated, you absolutely cannot avoid the complications associated with it.
You just described crime. That's what crime is, that's why we have courts.

The best policy, it seems, had been the one that works for ages, don't dip your pen in the company ink.

Quote:
It's almost like taking a summer camp and mixing the boys and girls in the cabins. Do you think there wouldn't be any problems?
(I know you may say something like "oh, you are comparing our servicemen to children!"... Well, I know there are likely some in there who could behave like children. Definitely would not think it to be most of them though. It is almost always the few who ruin it for everyone else...)
Oh yeah, "segregation" never works.... Guess that's why public restrooms aren't seperate.... Oh, wait.....
A lot of them aren't. Your analogy is not apt.

Are you seriously comparing public restrooms to segregating men and women based on rape?
Old 02-17-2011, 05:20 AM  

Greenville, SC
Are you saying that the problem was just as prevelant before it was a co-ed situation?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!