Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2011, 12:17 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funetical View Post
As in the flat earth theory was controversial?
still is;

The Flat Earth Society

Old 02-18-2011, 02:20 PM  

Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
Actually, I think that the "flat earth" you speak of was accepted as "fact". What was controversial at that time was that the earth was round (turned out to be true).... So good point.. Thanks.
Controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Right or wrong, something can still be controversial.

Old 02-19-2011, 01:32 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Controversy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Right or wrong, something can still be controversial.
Okay, we are straying just a tad.... But yes I agree with you on that.

(Oh my gosh.... there are really people out there that think the earth is flat?)

Oh well, I think you all know where I stand.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:59 AM  

Greenville, SC
Back on topic.....

(Quoting Walter Williams)

"Double standards in the military understandably fosters resentment between men and women. Men see female soldiers, who are incapable of performing tasks men are required to perform, get the same rank and pay as they do. They see their lives unnecessarily threatened in combat. Imagine your ship is hit by a torpedo and your shipmate can't heft and control a fire hose or, if you're injured, carry you to safety, or worst yet is pregnant and completely out of action. I'm not at all surprised by resentment that often manifests itself as "sexual harassment." In fact, a Government Accounting Office (GAO) report says that male complaints about double standards are the first or second most common form of verbal sexual harassment. Sex double standards in the military, like race double standards on college campuses, produce resentment. "

I agree with this....
Old 03-01-2011, 03:12 PM  

Austin
Double standards like being separated because you have interlocking naughty bits?

You defeated your own argument.

If you cant live up to the standards, they don't let you in combat. It's not like they are giving a special pass for women who want to be shot at.
Old 03-09-2011, 05:24 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Double standards like being separated because you have interlocking naughty bits?

You defeated your own argument.

If you cant live up to the standards, they don't let you in combat. It's not like they are giving a special pass for women who want to be shot at.
I apologize, but I don't quite understand your reply.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:41 AM  

Austin
Really? You say double standards equal resentment, so in order to off set that you are going to implement another double standard?

What about the ladies having resentment?
Old 03-09-2011, 10:20 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Really? You say double standards equal resentment, so in order to off set that you are going to implement another double standard?

What about the ladies having resentment?
I guess that the Walter Williams quote is only partially pertaining to this issue.
I do presume that the resentment (from women toward men) that existed prior to the integration would return perhaps. My initial point however, is only that I believe there are inherent difficulties currently that simply did not exist IN the military before women were integrated. I don't necessarily believe we could go back. Possibly we could ensure that all standards are equal, to dispell the concerns of Mr. Walter Willliams... Would not necessarily address the sexual assault,,

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.