Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2014, 02:30 PM  

Few Pastors Preach What They Believe

I picked this up from http://secondcomingherald.com/2014/0...dressed-bible/. I suspect the people they might gain by preaching the truth would be worth more than the pew fillers they might lose, but not financially.
Quote:
Most pastors believe that the Bible addresses the current issues of the day, but few speak about them from behind the pulpit, according to a recent study from a prominent research organization.

George Barna was a guest on the American Family Radio program “Today’s Issues” on Thursday, where he explained a research project that he has been working on for the past two years. In his study, Barna’s organization asked pastors across the country about their beliefs regarding the relevancy of Scripture to societal, moral and political issues, and the content of their sermons in light of their beliefs.

“‘What we’re finding is that when we ask them about all the key issues of the day, [90 percent of them are] telling us, ‘Yes, the Bible speaks to every one of these issues,” he explained. “Then we ask them: ‘Well, are you teaching your people what the Bible says about those issues?’ and the numbers drop…to less than 10 percent of pastors who say they will speak to it.”

Barna’s group also polled pastors about what factors they use to gauge whether or not a church is successful.

“There are five factors that the vast majority of pastors turn to,” he outlined. “Attendance, giving, number of programs, number of staff, and square footage.”

“What I’m suggesting is [those pastors] won’t probably get involved in politics because it’s very controversial. Controversy keeps people from being in the seats, controversy keeps people from giving money, from attending programs,” Barna said.

SOURCE: Heather Clark
Christian News Network

Old 08-30-2014, 09:32 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
It has been my experience that most pastors don't even know what is in the Bible.

Old 08-31-2014, 08:26 AM  

Nevada
One of the reasons I do not consider myself a member of any organized religious group is exactly this.

Once upon a time, churches were places for communities to gather and support one another.

Now, if a church complex doesn't have a day care center or nursery or snack bar or anything similar, nobody attends.

To be perfectly honest, the only preacher I've heard who speaks to the mores and values of today is the priest in a local Roman Catholic church during Spanish Masses.
Old 08-31-2014, 09:33 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
One of the mega-churches not far from here, buys their pastor a new Mercedes every year. That's just wrong to me.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:21 AM  

Nevada
Huckabee had a segment last night with a preacher on this very subject.

The problem is that, when preachers do speak out about current things and their relationship with religious beliefs, they get attacked. Not only by atheists, but the IRS! They spend two years fighting the allegations and threats to remove their tax status - and win.

In the meantime, the intimidation is often too much for many pastors to deal with.

It's all a matter of the First Amendment and whether people are willing to fight to keep that right.
Old 09-01-2014, 09:05 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
Why should pastors and churches be tax exempt?
Old 09-01-2014, 09:56 AM  

What I believe is worse are the colleges who claim to be an extension of a church in order to avoid paying taxes. We have one near us that has everyone fooled, including the IRS, to avoid paying the taxes. In reality, they are land barons and buying up all the land at pennies on the dollar, but avoid paying any taxes for services necessary to run the school.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!