Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-19-2012, 06:58 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Another question that could be asked: money or morals? That answer is self evident.
I agree. Morally it is wrong to steal, which is essentially what someone is doing when they refuse to pay for a service then expect others to pay for it when they need it.

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 01-19-2012, 07:51 AM  

Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
I agree. Morally it is wrong to steal, which is essentially what someone is doing when they refuse to pay for a service then expect others to pay for it when they need it.
Morally it's wrong to watch someones house burn when you're charged with preserving and protecting lives AND property. Wouldn't a more proper course of action to be save the house/ property, charge the property owner for the service and if they refuse/ can't pay take the property through court action? Seems like that would be the moral course of action.
Hypothetical: What if someone had been trapped inside the house? By your own reasoning that person would have died.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:18 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Morally it's wrong to watch someones house burn when you're charged with preserving and protecting lives AND property. Wouldn't a more proper course of action to be save the house/ property, charge the property owner for the service and if they refuse/ can't pay take the property through court action? Seems like that would be the moral course of action.
Hypothetical: What if someone had been trapped inside the house? By your own reasoning that person would have died.
I just think that if they put out the fire of someone who didn't pay, then why on earth would anyone pay???? And as far as the property and court action thing... I don't even know how that would work. What if the home is owned by a mortgage company? How would the FD get the property? Would they want a half burned out house anyway?? What if the homeowner goes to court and says "I didn't agree to give up my property..."? Too many variables.

As far as your hypothetical, I agree. That would be unfortunate, and I imagine there would be a lawsuit against the FD if they were actually present and knowingly allowed someone to die.

I don't know what the big deal is about not paying. Just pay the fee!! What is so hard about that????? And if you CHOSE NOT TO then how can you get upset with others instead of yourself????

What is this world coming to??!!!??

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.