Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2010, 03:30 PM  

Austin
Gentrification

Gentrification, is your city experiencing it? Is it hostile? I'm in Austin and things haven't been as smooth as everyone wanted. People are getting ricks through the window. It sucks.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:47 AM  

Austin
Yeah all's not well in the ATX.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:45 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
People are getting bricks thrown through their windows in Austin due to Gentrification? Where is this happening at? Haven't read anything in the Statesmen about that.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:02 AM  
Not at the table Carlos!

Frederick, MD, Maryland
I can see how this could be a problem in a city but why get violent about it? It sucks but dang... Just move to a more rural area or wherever you can find work...
Old 08-26-2010, 06:56 AM  

Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Militaryman4455 View Post
I can see how this could be a problem in a city but why get violent about it? It sucks but damn... Just move to a more rural area or wherever you can find work...
The problem is the poor can't move, and when you build a nice McMansion right next door to a shack, it raises the property value of the shack, which also raises taxes, further pushing out the poor that have lived in those neighborhoods for decades. Losing your home is not a good reason for throwing a brick through a window. Not the McMansion's window anyhow, but maybe the IRS's?
Old 09-14-2010, 11:23 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
I'm not seeing the issue, renting a moving van for a day is not too pricey and if they had bought the shack then they would be able to sell it for more, renters will always get the short end of the stick but if are renting with no thought of possibly moving in the future then you shouldn't be renting anyways, you should be buying
Old 09-14-2010, 04:57 PM  
Vrrooomm

Quincy, Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
I'm not seeing the issue, renting a moving van for a day is not too pricey and if they had bought the shack then they would be able to sell it for more, renters will always get the short end of the stick but if are renting with no thought of possibly moving in the future then you shouldn't be renting anyways, you should be buying
Hey, Red
Old 09-16-2010, 03:53 PM  

Austin
Quote:
It's to pricey if you are poor, and having a hard time even eating. Selling it for more only works if you have some where to go. These homes are multigenerational, you are saying they have no right to them because yuppies moved in and raised the amount they have to pay?
Old 01-08-2011, 10:12 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funetical View Post
It's to pricey if you are poor, and having a hard time even eating. Selling it for more only works if you have some where to go. These homes are multigenerational, you are saying they have no right to them because yuppies moved in and raised the amount they have to pay?
well, no

If they are renting and rent goes up that is their problem, they rented instead of buying

If they bought and the home value skyrocketed and now the property taxes are killing them then it is still tough luck, they can sell the house and move to an area that is closer to the conditions they bought the house in and has that same quality of a neighborhood compared to when they originally bought. These people will make out though on the property difference though.

are you suggesting that we let them keep the houses and pay taxes as if the home was worth a lot less therefore shifting the tax burdern to other people while giving them a reduced cost?
Old 01-11-2011, 01:28 PM  

Austin
Quote:
well, no

If they are renting and rent goes up that is their problem, they rented instead of buying

If they bought and the home value skyrocketed and now the property taxes are killing them then it is still tough luck, they can sell the house and move to an area that is closer to the conditions they bought the house in and has that same quality of a neighborhood compared to when they originally bought. These people will make out though on the property difference though.

are you suggesting that we let them keep the houses and pay taxes as if the home was worth a lot less therefore shifting the tax burdern to other people while giving them a reduced cost?

Not necessarily. I think imparting taxes that leave people homeless is not the option though.

Part of the issue, is property of similar value, more often than not, is out of town, so in order to maintain their work, they would have to use private transportation, pay insurance, further forcing them into debt.

Rent isn't an issue, can't pay, move. I'm talking about long term residence, whose rates are not locked, having to pay elevated taxes for the property they have been paying on, because someone move din and affected the property value.

Tax burden only exist because of the poor system we currently employ. Why should I pay taxes on something I own for the rest of my life? That's dumb, it's never mine then, and then we are not free. No one is a property owner if you have to continue to make payments a and can have it seized by the state.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

» Recent Threads