Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2011, 07:42 AM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
Government ?Improvement? Makes Things Exponentially Worse-CFL light bulbs

Received this in an e-mail.....listen to this video about florence, "Light Bulbs"....
you, like I, was probably not aware this was going on

QUOTE:

Once Again, a Government ‘Improvement’ Makes Things Exponentially Worse

Here’s an excellent summation by a Congressman from Texas of all the wonderful things we
have to look forward to once we are forced by the Federal government to use only the new
environmentally-“friendly” CFL light bulbs by 2014.

Once Again, a Government ‘Improvement’ Makes Things
Exponentially Worse ? LewRockwell.com Blog

Here's a couple more videos on this subject........

7 Myths about energy-saving bulbs

CF light bulbs are dangerous when broken CFL

DANGER! The (Compact Fluorescent Bulb) and (mercury) at home

Old 03-05-2011, 09:40 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
you do realize your 7 myths video is pro-cfl bulb use right? as in dispelling the myths that cfl bulbs are bad.

also there are l.e.d. bulbs on the horizon, no mercury and even better in most ways, so one could just stock up on the regular bulbs now and switch to those which ultimaly are an ideal solution but are still quite pricey (about $50 a bulb), even at that you will save money energy wise from the bulb and not have to replace it (they last 10 times longer, about 50,000 hours, about 6 years of non-stop use and use about 1/9th the amount of power and again have non of the environmental risks)

but yeah, most people will go cfl because they are cheaper, but they are not the best alternative to incandescent lights

Old 03-06-2011, 03:57 PM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
there are l.e.d. bulbs on the horizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
you do realize your 7 myths video is pro-cfl bulb use right? as in dispelling the myths that cfl bulbs are bad.

also there are l.e.d. bulbs on the horizon, no mercury and even better in most ways, so one could just stock up on the regular bulbs now and switch to those which ultimaly are an ideal solution but are still quite pricey (about $50 a bulb), even at that you will save money energy wise from the bulb and not have to replace it (they last 10 times longer, about 50,000 hours, about 6 years of non-stop use and use about 1/9th the amount of power and again have non of the environmental risks)

but yeah, most people will go cfl because they are cheaper, but they are not the best alternative to incandescent lights
The L.E.D. lighting is closer than you think.......check this out......

17 DC LED Lights
Old 03-07-2011, 09:59 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
also there are l.e.d. bulbs on the horizon, no mercury and even better in most ways

cfl bulbs are like Edison's first phone. The lightbulb displays are changing almost monthly. I've replaced all but two or three bulbs with cfl and I've learned to adjust for the lag time.
In one case no cfl fit the fixture. In another I kept a 75 watt incandescent in my reading light. I think LED's will replace the few remaining incandescents and my electric bill shows good results.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:34 AM  

Greenville, SC
The Associated Press: SC lawmakers take a dim view of new light bulbs

I like my state...
Old 03-29-2011, 04:53 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
wonder if that single light bulb manufacturer in that state had any interest in this......

and bravo for keeping south carolina a power hungry state and increasing our dependence on fossil fuels and imported oil
Old 03-30-2011, 05:11 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
wonder if that single light bulb manufacturer in that state had any interest in this......

and bravo for keeping south carolina a power hungry state and increasing our dependence on fossil fuels and imported oil
Perhaps the light bulb manufacturer did, I don't know..... I know I'm not a fan of those new bulbs. If they were appealing enough, and more competitive then the feds wouldn't have to legislate us into using them.

Power hungry? Hey, I'm all about states "power" (rights)!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:11 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Perhaps the light bulb manufacturer did, I don't know..... I know I'm not a fan of those new bulbs. If they were appealing enough, and more competitive then the feds wouldn't have to legislate us into using them.

Power hungry? Hey, I'm all about states "power" (rights)!
you place a lot more faith into humanity then I do, and probably more then you should.

People will in general choose the cheaper option to them at that point in time, people in general are horrible at calculating long term costs. yes an old style light bulb is far cheaper upfront but you pay in the long term, just like people have no understanding that their "$99" smart phone actually costs them over $1500 once compared to what the service actually costs in countries that you buy the phone and then buy the service (no bundling)
Old 03-31-2011, 10:21 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
you place a lot more faith into humanity then I do, and probably more then you should.

People will in general choose the cheaper option to them at that point in time, people in general are horrible at calculating long term costs. yes an old style light bulb is far cheaper upfront but you pay in the long term, just like people have no understanding that their "$99" smart phone actually costs them over $1500 once compared to what the service actually costs in countries that you buy the phone and then buy the service (no bundling)
Okay, so if people are likely going to make the "wrong" choice then we should take away the right to choose? I think I see what your line of thinking is.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:34 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Okay, so if people are likely going to make the "wrong" choice then we should take away the right to choose? I think I see what your line of thinking is.
so you are against all drug/gambling/prostitution laws then?

pollution and energy dependence hurts us all.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!