Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2012, 10:19 AM  

Government Spends Where IT Wills

I saw a PBS program about the razorback sucker, a desert fish that is not holding its own. It seems that several scientists are making a career of trying to get it re-established. Here's a short excerpt from http://www.hcn.org/issues/42.10/one-...er/print_view:
Quote:
An alphabet soup of conservation and recovery plans has been created to protect the razorback sucker. In the Lower Basin, the fish is part of a federal conservation plan, a $626 million, 50-year, 43-species effort launched in 2005. In the Upper Basin, more than $120 million in federal funds has already been spent on razorback sucker recovery efforts. According to some estimates, an additional $84 million could be spent by 2023.
The government has decided that these razor back suckers are worthy of keeping even though their efforts and our dollars are the only thing keeping it going. Now I know that is small potatoes from the overall deficit/debt problem but it is symptomatic of the greater problem. The larger the government the more it spends with little oversight. My own experience as a section head was that I could buy a lot of goodies or take a lot of trips (at the top the prez can take AF-1 and a few C-130s full of black SUVs anywhere he wishes at a cost of over a million per pop, lesser officials may spend less on junkets, but spend they do) that fell under the radar.

Old 09-17-2012, 10:57 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
.....razorback sucker...
I feel like the American people are the real suckers!

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 09-18-2012, 11:08 AM  

The Obama administration has a habit of giving federal funds to alternative energy projects that are owned by his political donors. Large scale commercial wind projects depend upon federal subsidies and state renewable energy mandates to create a demand for their electricity. CJ writes that,

?Whether an alternative/renewable is acceptable is a highly technical matter that should be decided on the basis of a comprehensive, independent, objective and transparent evaluation of three key conditions: its technical performance, the economics of the power produced, and its full environmental impact,? he told CJ. ?All independent evidence to date indicates that industrial wind power fails on all three of these critical counts.?http://www.carolinajournal.com/exclu...e.html?id=9456

Both environmentalists and the military have concern about an NC coastal wind energy project the ownership of which is apparently a subsidiary of a Chicago based company owned by an Obama campaign contributor according to the article.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!