Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-10-2011, 03:03 PM  

Grinch Tax Held Back for This Year

Less than a day after the Obama administration announced a 15-cent tax on fresh Christmas trees to help ?improve the image and marketing,? it is pulled back due to ridicule. It seems that the tax was to be used to promote live trees. Does this make sense, taxing those who already buy live trees in order to promote live trees? That's a bit like taxing cell phone users to pay for obamaphones. Obama's academicians may be smart but they are far from wise.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:15 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
Less than a day after the Obama administration announced a 15-cent tax on fresh Christmas trees to help “improve the image and marketing,” it is pulled back due to ridicule. It seems that the tax was to be used to promote live trees. Does this make sense, taxing those who already buy live trees in order to promote live trees? That's a bit like taxing cell phone users to pay for obamaphones. Obama's academicians may be smart but they are far from wise.
he didn't have any part of it, so trying to associate it with obama is kind of lame, the people who grow christmas trees WANTED it to up their sales, so this is really a non-issue, most of the major food industries do this as well....

but now that we are at it we should tax them, destroying trees for such a short term purpose and then EXPECTING cities to pick up the tab for it, why should I subsidize someone else's religious beliefs?

Old 11-12-2011, 08:45 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
he didn't have any part of it, so trying to associate it with obama is kind of lame, the people who grow christmas trees WANTED it to up their sales, so this is really a non-issue, most of the major food industries do this as well....
The last time I checked the USDA is a part of the Obama administration. Is it OK because the food industry may pull the same shenanigans? Give me a break.
Quote:
but now that we are at it we should tax them, destroying trees for such a short term purpose and then EXPECTING cities to pick up the tab for it, why should I subsidize someone else's religious beliefs?
How about beer drinkers, we have to pay to recycle or dispose of their bottles?
Quote:
you sure none of these people pay any local sales tax/property tax? really? forget the value of our ability to protest and that our government was founded on it, if it costs the government money then it has to go.....
Maybe if we said Christmas trees were merely a protest of atheism you would approve . . .
Old 11-12-2011, 11:24 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
The last time I checked the USDA is a part of the Obama administration.
true but the right taking this as a tax on christmas lead by Obama is completely absurd, would you agree?
Quote:

Is it OK because the food industry may pull the same shenanigans? Give me a break.
I don't see the right complaining about that...... at all.
Quote:

How about beer drinkers, we have to pay to recycle or dispose of their bottles?
don't forget cigerettes, those two items seem to be the most littered item, so they should have a clean up tax associated with them, oh yeah and gum, anybody who puts gum on the sidewalk should have a minimum 1 night stay in jail :-)
Quote:
Maybe if we said Christmas trees were merely a protest of atheism you would approve . . .
I see your sarcasm detector is broken, here borrow mine (beep beep-bloop **sarcasm detected** beep-beep)
:-)

maybe just a tax on "christmas" trees since they are religious but no tax on "holiday" trees? :-) will that work?

what did jesus want with such a mass killing of trees every winter anyway? (yes I know it's a stolen holiday tradition that really has nothing to do with christianity, was just given the name and placed in time to take over winter solstice celebrations, but that's another thread/debate that already happened here I think)
Old 11-12-2011, 11:41 AM  

Wow! I find myself agreeing with some of RedJeepXJ's comments. But Obama still has to take the blame for the grinch tax since he is potus. BTW I am not a Christmas tree person.
Old 11-12-2011, 12:54 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR

Quote:
But Obama still has to take the blame for the grinch tax since he is potus. BTW I am not a Christmas tree person.
You must have a very provincial idea of the scope of the federal government to think any president gives a crap about little **** like this. Oregon produces a monster sized slice of the nations Christmas trees and we're looking for any edge we can find. Darn Dixie is killing off our supply of Mexican pickers for other crops. Both WA & OR produce these trees as a major crop. Oregon's Christmas tree growers harvest over 7.3 million trees annually.

In Oregon it's perfectly legal to go find & cut your own tree in the forests.

Perry is too stupid tom recall the 3 agencies he would destroy but you expect micro management from others?
Grinch Tax Held Back for This Year-christmas-tree-farm-oregonj.jpg 

Grinch Tax Held Back for This Year-3346189314_27d61beaca.jpg 

Grinch Tax Held Back for This Year-oregon-christmas-trees.jpg 

Grinch Tax Held Back for This Year-oregon_wholesale_christmas_trees2.jpg 

Grinch Tax Held Back for This Year-air.jpg 

Grinch Tax Held Back for This Year-bilde.jpg 

Grinch Tax Held Back for This Year-grower-christmas-tree-oregon.jpg 

Grinch Tax Held Back for This Year-plant_annrep05_lic_chri_tree.jpg 

Grinch Tax Held Back for This Year-hdr2.jpg 

Grinch Tax Held Back for This Year-xmastressonconveyerbelt.jpg 

Old 11-12-2011, 02:48 PM  

Sammamish, WA
Our tax dollars at work again.

If you want to increase sales of natural trees, you tax the artificial ones!

Still, why should the government care what kind of trees people buy? None of their business interfering. That would be like taxing single family homes so people would by condos, or taxing red wine so people will buy white.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:28 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
Our tax dollars at work again.

If you want to increase sales of natural trees, you tax the artificial ones!

Still, why should the government care what kind of trees people buy? None of their business interfering. That would be like taxing single family homes so people would by condos, or taxing red wine so people will buy white.
or pork,dairy, beef or any of the other groups that have been doing the exact same thing for years......
Old 11-13-2011, 12:10 PM  

Quote:
or pork,dairy, beef or any of the other groups that have been doing the exact same thing for years......
I wasn't aware of a special tax on pork or beef, I may have missed something, please elaborate.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:28 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
google "pork checkoff" producers pay a tax on the value that is used for lobbying efforts among other things....

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.