Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-12-2011, 07:59 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Hands Off Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid!

Quote:
The contentious congressional talks on a debt reduction deal continue to drag on. Conservatives have doubled and tripled down on their determination to cut spending as much as possible while doing absolutely nothing to raise government revenues. They are particularly licking their chops about cutting the so-called entitlement programs?Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid. They want to cut benefits, reduce eligibility, and increase costs to recipients. What does the public think about this particular conservative crusade?

Not much. Not much at all. A just-released Pew poll documents the extent of public opposition. The poll asked respondents what is more important, reducing the budget deficit or keeping Medicare and Social Security benefits as they are. By an overwhelming 60-32 margin the public prefers to keep Medicare and Social Security as they are.
The Snapshot: Hands Off Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid! — The Century Foundation
Hands Off Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid!-pew-poll.jpg 

Old 07-12-2011, 08:07 AM  

Isn't that the problem that befell America, too many people love a handout.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:02 AM  
Traveler

I just wonder how the people on the left (red) sleep at night. Those same people are for giving corporate jet owners another tax break and for unfettered funding of our military.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:27 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
Isn't that the problem that befell America, too many people love a handout.
No Eddie, in 1961 (50 years ago) I began paying MY MONEY into Social Security. Now I'm 66 and I'm withdrawing MY MONEY.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:08 AM  
Traveler

cut handouts to our military, and corporate jet owners not to seniors, handicapped and retirees with no retirement I say!
Old 07-12-2011, 11:29 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Hands Off Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicinabottle View Post
cut handouts to our military, and corporate jet owners not to seniors, handicapped and retirees with no retirement I say!
Hands Off Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid!-music-prez.jpg 

Old 07-12-2011, 11:48 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
No Eddie, in 1961 (50 years ago) I began paying MY MONEY into Social Security. Now I'm 66 and I'm withdrawing MY MONEY.
I could be mistaken, but I think the money you put in over the past 50 years has long since been spent. Of course, it is no fault of yours or mine. It is that great ponzi scheme in washington.

Also, if they were giving out dollar for dollar what folks had been puting in, it would be an even worse investment due to inflation. The whole thing has been flawed. It would likely be very different if the value of the dollar had maintained one value over the course of 50 years.

(I do however see your point to "eddie" about it not being a handout exactly..)
Old 07-13-2011, 08:30 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
(I do however see your point to "eddie" about it not being a handout exactly..)
Like your pop I paid cash for cars, never ran up a credit debt larger than I could almost immediately pay off and I played by the only rules that existed. When others borrowed against money set aside for senior's retirement they screwed up.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:42 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
Like your pop I paid cash for cars, never ran up a credit debt larger than I could almost immediately pay off and I played by the only rules that existed. When others borrowed against money set aside for senior's retirement they screwed up.
. . . and just where did you think that money was set aside? Could it even earn interest if set aside? If it earned any interest would not the taxpayer be paying it? What about Ponzi Scheme (or Entitlement if you prefer) don't you understand?
Old 07-14-2011, 09:56 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
What about Ponzi Scheme (or Entitlement if you prefer) don't you understand?
It's modeled after European pensions and common in Western nations. It worked fine until they sucked the cash out of it by allowing it to be borrowed against. The concept works but it must be managed correctly.
Bush should have put Clinton's surplus back into Social Security instead of OIL WELFARE.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads