Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2011, 11:31 AM  

The Obama Legacy

Old 06-10-2011, 11:52 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
Spend on, maybe someday we can spend our way out of debt.

What has this nation become that its citizens whine for benefits from a government that is spending 1.667 times its revenue?
there are more solutions to this

or maybe the wealthiest citizens could pay a little more in taxes by ending the bush/republican tax cuts....

we have reduced the tax income so much from the wealthy and wealth does already flow up towards those who are already rich so we are seriously limiting our tax revenue and paying for it with our debt.

so assuming you are an average citizen, are you willing to work an additional 2-4 years AND pay an extra $7000+ a year (on average) for healthcare once you do retire so that millionaires can pay 4% lower taxes? because that is where the republicans want to take us.

I agree this is class warfare and the republicans are going to battle against the middle and lower classes.....

Old 06-10-2011, 12:05 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
so assuming you are an average citizen, are you willing to work an additional 2-4 years AND pay an extra $7000+ a year (on average) for healthcare once you do retire so that millionaires can pay 4% lower taxes? because that is where the republicans want to take us.

I agree this is class warfare and the republicans are going to battle against the middle and lower classes.....
Yet the Right still panders to those very same average Joes trying to make ends meet with the LIE that tax cuts for the filthy rich will somehow trickle down to those same schmucks. When Bush began these cuts Exxon was earning 4.5 BILLION $$$ a quarter AFTER taxes. Detroit used their money to recover which was the intent and jobs were preserved. BIG OIL pockets the cash and sends Cheney a little something at Christmas.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:14 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Quote:
Our leaders are supposed to be working for working Americans, not just their multi-millionaire donors.

But Republicans in Congress are doing just the opposite by proposing to kill Medicare, cut education and destroy our social safety net, while at the same time extending tax cuts for millionaires and corporations - which do nothing to create jobs.1 It's not fair that the average millionaire gets over $100,000 a year in tax breaks while families struggle with a tattered economy and 9% unemployment.

This isn't about deficits, it's about who our government works for. Conservatives in Congress think they work for the corporations and the super-rich. We know different, and we're fighting to prove it:

Yesterday, USAction and our partners held protests, press conferences and rallies in 18 states to mark the 10th anniversary of George W. Bush's tax cuts for the super-rich and fight back against cuts in services for the rest of us.2

It's just the start of a major campaign we're planning to end the Bush tax cuts and make the US Budget work for working people again.
Wall Street Journal
HTML Code:
http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2009/01/09/bush-on-jobs-the-worst-track-record-on-record/
Bush On Jobs: The Worst Track Record On Record
Quote:
By WSJ Staff

President George W. Bush entered office in 2001 just as a recession was starting, and is preparing to leave in the middle of a long one. That?s almost 22 months of recession during his 96 months in office.

His job-creation record won?t look much better. The Bush administration created about three million jobs (net) over its eight years, a fraction of the 23 million jobs created under President Bill Clinton?s administration and only slightly better than President George H.W. Bush did in his four years in office.
HTML Code:
http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/24/the-ryan-budget-tipping-point/
HTML Code:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/02/obama-pledges-no-bush-tax-cut-extension_n_870680.html
Old 06-10-2011, 01:28 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Okay I don't know if this has been made clear yet. Anybody cam find news articles supporting their point - it doesn't prove a thing. There's news services around the world - it's pretty simple to find one that fits your point of view and copy paste post it.

What would be really amazing would be to listen to people argue their point without using copy paste post as a crutch.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 06-11-2011, 10:12 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
There's news services around the world - it's pretty simple to find one that fits your point of view and copy paste post it.
One can always find the Right's position praised by Fox but I doubt many folks regard Fox as "newsworthy". However I largely agree and try to find the best sources like the Wall Street Journal commenting on our economy.

You seem to prefer something to start an argument over things and that leads to things I have no wish to bring here. I've heard your opinions and I have no interest in changing them. I do however like to illustrate my own thoughts with facts and images. If that's too challenging for you don't read them.
Old 06-11-2011, 11:28 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Hah pressed a button there. I apologize.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 06-12-2011, 07:57 AM  

Detroit, michigan
Tax the wealthy?

Quote:
How does one tax a business without it just passing it on to the consumer or the stockholders? ...........
.........Do we really believe rich people owe us a living without us working for it? What have we become? Google "Beer Drinker's Parable".
>>>>>>>>I am a handyman. If I have to pay taxes, then I just have to raise my rates when I work for you.
No matter what, a business can only raise it's rates so much and then people will stop using that business. So, either the business (in this case Exxon's $10 billion dollar profit) pays it's taxes and is content with 10 $billion profit every quarter, or it pays less in dividends to it's shareholders, or it raises prices.
I have to be content with the measly pittance I can scare up, why is Exxon different?
This is directly relevant to your next question; Why are you afraid to tax these corporations if you are not dependent on them for your living wage?
They DON"T owe you a living, go out and make your own on the paved highways and safe bridges that the public AND corporation's tax dollars provide.>>>>>>>>>
Old 06-12-2011, 09:43 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by opheucus View Post
>>>>>>>>I am a handyman. If I have to pay taxes, then I just have to raise my rates when I work for you.
No matter what, a business can only raise it's rates so much and then people will stop using that business. So, either the business (in this case Exxon's $10 billion dollar profit) pays it's taxes and is content with 10 $billion profit every quarter, or it pays less in dividends to it's shareholders, or it raises prices.
I have to be content with the measly pittance I can scare up, why is Exxon different?
This is directly relevant to your next question; Why are you afraid to tax these corporations if you are not dependent on them for your living wage?
They DON"T owe you a living, go out and make your own on the paved highways and safe bridges that the public AND corporation's tax dollars provide.>>>>>>>>>
yeah but keep in mind corporations don't pay income taxes as we do, they basically pay profit taxes, so yes it may seem high but If corporation *were* people and people did the same thing we would pay taxes and deduct ALL living expenses before calculating what to pay taxes on.

so in essence taxing corporations doesn't affect the end price as much, since they only get taxed on profit, heck a couple year high tax on profits may actually spur new job growth just based on what is economically best for the company, if the choice is invest in new research and design or facilities or give the money to the government what do you think companies are going to do?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!