Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-16-2011, 12:14 PM  

Greenville, SC
Helmet laws for motorcycle riders

I really wasn't sure where to put this topic.... Before I ask, let me say:

1. I do not ride motorcycles, but have nothing against them.
2. I always wear a seatbelt.
3. I ride ATV's in the woods and do not wear a helmet.

That being said, I was just thinking about this.

In my state (South Carolina) it is against the law to drive a car without your seatbelt on. It is also NOT against the law to ride a motorcycle without a helmet.
So, this makes very little sense to me. Seems to me that it should be one of 2 ways:
1. You don't have to wear a seatbelt or a helmet.
2. It is required to wear a seatbelt in a car, and a helmet on a motorcycle.

Am I crazy or does this make no sense for one to be legal and the other not??

(this is sort of a "what I'm thinking this moment" type of thread...Just curious to know what others think.)

Old 03-23-2011, 06:39 AM  
Traveler

You must like 'laws'?

Do you enjoy controling others in your off time too?

Old 03-23-2011, 06:51 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambo View Post
You must like 'laws'?

Do you enjoy controling others in your off time too?
I most certainly do not like more laws. I do not know why you would think that. I just think it is silly to have no law for one, and a law for the other. Either they need to have laws for both or laws for neither. I do not see how this can be interpreted into me "liking" more laws.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:10 AM  
Traveler

If you don't ride then this should be of no concern to you. So because you don't ride you want to control others who do through law?

I don't ride 4wheelers and I think they should be banned by law. Maybe the EPA can ban then through regulation as they destroy mother earth and are a nuisance. I'll get started on that lobby right away.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:23 AM  

Greenville, SC
Bambo, it is fairly clear to me that by your limited posts, lack of profile, and the content of your posts that you are not on here to contribute anything useful. I do believe you are on here only to cause trouble by posting nonsense.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:25 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
Bambo, it is fairly clear to me that by your limited posts, lack of profile, and the content of your posts that you are not on here to contribute anything useful. I do believe you are on here only to cause trouble by posting nonsense.
I'm getting the same impression. Please tone it down a little Bambo.
Old 03-23-2011, 08:00 AM  

Greenville, SC
Well, that didn't take long did it?!
Old 03-23-2011, 08:00 AM  
fustrated genius

Helmets are none effective at high speeds. They only help at slower speeds and I wouldn't get on a street bike without one, well, actually, I wouldn't get on a street bike at all. I feel they are unsafe and those who ride them know the risks. With all that said, I feel that those who ride them need to evaluate the pros & cons and make up their own minds. Like cigarette smoking, as long as they are not interfering with others well being and safety, let them make the choice. It only took one climps of a pile of gunk with a tennis shoe attached that was once a pedestrian on a southern California freeway to convense me to stay OFF motorcycles and IN a truck/car with seat belts clicked tightly. I believe that helmets should be worn but by choice, not by law.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:32 AM  

Greenville, SC
I agree with this^^^^
Old 04-14-2011, 09:29 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I've been riding for about 8 years, most of that being on sport bikes. Right now, I ride a Ducati Monster 696.

I'm sort of stuck in the middle. On one hand, I think it should be by choice because I believe in overall smallness of government/laws, as well as natural selection - if someone wants to go out there and ride a bike without a helmet, or say, in shorts, sandals, or whatever else they want to wear, then they deserve whatever injuries they incur when they do get into an accident. On the other hand, I'm also for people being safe and, ultimately, staying alive - so that part of me would be for making it a law.

I just have to ask myself, if I were the leader of a given state, would I make it a law to wear a helmet while riding a motorcycle? The answer would definitely be yes, at least for your first two to three years of riding. The first thing I think of is the young, impressionable rider. He sees other, more experienced riders riding around with just sunglasses on and thinks they're so cool, so he wants to be like them. Little does he know, most of the time, these are experienced guys who have confidence in their riding styles and are comfortable with their bikes - and they've accepted the risk of riding without safety gear.

I've never put a bike down, so I don't have any big dramatic stories about helmets saving my life or anything. However, anytime I ride, I wear boots, jeans, long sleeves (at night I wear something reflective, because my bike's flat black), a helmet, and gloves. I've got two kids, and I just can't justify the risk.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.