Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2011, 05:15 AM  

Greenville, SC
I do appreciate the replies, and I tend to agree with both the idea of helmets being a choice, and the risk of inexperienced riders. I also believe that the people in cars are a big concern just as much as the inexperienced drivers (in accidents involving motorcycles.)

My main question wasn't as much whether the helmets should be law or not as much as it was a question as to whether the laws should be different for helmets vs. seatbelts.
I think it doesn't make much sense for one to be choice and one to be law. The end purpose of both is the same. Effectiveness I'm sure, varies.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:19 AM  

Shuswap, BC
I think it should be riders choice.
We have too many laws and rules in this society.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:25 AM  

Greenville, SC
I think both should be choice. The only problem with it is that as far as insurance companies and healthcare and such, we have built a society of "collective" responsibility. Which is unfortunate. That basically means, that if the insurance companies have to pay out more (due to extreme head injuries and such) the cost has to be absorbed by everyones premiums increasing. Also, if someone has no insurance, and has severe head trauma, and gets treated (to any extent) then who do you think pays for that?
I am certainly not saying we should have our right to chose taken away. I just think our system is set up in such a way that ones decisions end up effecting most everyone, even if it seems not to.
What do you guys think? Again, I think it should be choice along with seatbelts. Frankly I think collective responsibility has resulted in many rights lost for the reasons stated above.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:18 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Motorcyclist dies on ride protesting helmet law

HTML Code:
http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/world/52122565-68/contos-helmet-syracuse-troopers.html.csp
Quote:
First published 21 minutes ago
Updated 18 minutes ago
Onondaga, N.Y. ? Police say a motorcyclist participating in a protest ride against helmet laws in upstate New York died after he flipped over the bike?s handlebars and hit his head on the pavement.

The accident happened Saturday afternoon in the town of Onondaga, in central New York near Syracuse.

State troopers tell The Post-Standard of Syracuse that 55-year-old Philip A. Contos of Parish, N.Y., was driving a 1983 Harley Davidson with a group of bikers who were protesting helmet laws by not wearing helmets.

Troopers say Contos hit his brakes and the motorcycle fishtailed. The bike spun out of control, and Contos toppled over the handlebars. He was pronounced dead at a hospital.

Troopers say Contos would have likely survived if he had been wearing a helmet.
???

Information from: The Post-Standard, Syracuse NY Local News, Breaking News, Sports & Weather - syracuse.com
Old 07-03-2011, 01:57 PM  
fustrated genius

Kind of ironic ain't it ^
Old 07-03-2011, 05:32 PM  

I am a rider of many years and I dislike the helmet laws. One has only to ride a country lane with and without a helmet to see the difference. With a helmet one feels smothered and inhibited without the helmet one feels free and can actually better see and enjoy the scenery. Because of the NC laws I ride less than I used to. Harley ads used to suggest the freedom of riding.

Old 07-04-2011, 05:19 AM  

After some additional thought, maybe children should be 21 to ride a bicycle or climb a tree, seniors can't drive on rainy days, seniors have to take sponge baths instead of tub baths, crash helmets required for autos and . . . We could save even more lives.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:20 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
After some additional thought, maybe children should be 21 to ride a bicycle or climb a tree, seniors can't drive on rainy days, seniors have to take sponge baths instead of tub baths, crash helmets required for autos and . . . We could save even more lives.
Simple solution is the rider wears what he wants after proof of full insurance covering medical.

The odd thing I've noticed is bikers often hate helmets but kids wear them religiously probably because it's all they've known. Invent a comfortable less restrictive helmet and get rich.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:44 AM  
fustrated genius

I used to think seat belts were restrictive too. Until I started wearing them. I had an incident were I was convinced before seat belt laws went into effect that they do more good than harm. Now I feel uncomfortable without one and will even retrofit my Willys with them too.
Old 07-04-2011, 02:03 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Again, I think it should be choice along with seatbelts. Frankly I think collective responsibility has resulted in many rights lost for the reasons stated above.
I could pass on seatbelts but the 6 years I've worn them made their use automatic. I know the alternative is to get mashed by my steering wheel or tossed out a window neither of which guarantees you die (which I view as a pre-condition for doing dumb stuff).

In the end it comes down to who gets the bill for our actions.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.