Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2012, 07:28 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
High gas price hypocrites

http://mediamatters.org/blog/201203050007

Following GOP strategy, Fox News is again blaming the Obama administration for rising gasoline prices -- a claim that has been repeatedly debunked by energy analysts. But back in the summer of 2008, when the average U.S. gasoline price hit a record high of $4.11, Fox said that "no President has the power to increase or to lower gas prices."

In 2008, Fox's coverage occasionally even mirrored the facts: expanding domestic oil drilling will not significantly lower prices, and the only way to reduce our vulnerability to gas price spikes is to use less oil. Perhaps there was more room for reality-based coverage at Fox when there wasn't an incumbent president to defeat?

Old 03-11-2012, 08:06 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
exactly, the daily show often covers these major changes in fox agenda between the presidencies, the same people often take very different positions on the same thing depending on who the president was or what the situation is. It's amazing people refer to them as news.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:03 PM  

Nevada
Another left wing diatribe to try to defend the Unqualified-in-Chief.

Gas prices reflect what investors think the industry will do in the future. As they have no faith in the current administration and its ridiculous pogrom against oil producers, the price will continue to rise. Failure to approve more drilling, shutting down natural gas production, vetoing the Keystone pipeline, continued reliance on the Mid East - all are effecting the prices as the fuel pumps.

I really did not think I'd find such tripe on a website like this1
Old 03-12-2012, 03:47 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvcabbie View Post

Gas prices reflect what investors think the industry will do in the future. As they have no faith in the current administration and its ridiculous pogrom against oil producers, the price will continue to rise. Failure to approve more drilling, shutting down natural gas production, vetoing the Keystone pipeline, continued reliance on the Mid East - all are effecting the prices as the fuel pumps.

I think you need to read up a bit more, natural gas is in excess right now and relatively cheap, oil is a worldwide commodity, any oil drilled is spread out across the globe, plus there is opec which can adjust it's production to keep gas prices where it wants them to be, you are believing in a fantasy if you think there was anything obama could have done to get any SIGNIFICANT reduction in oil prices (I don't completely agree with his policies on the pipeline/drilling etc btw...) I just think we need to be fair and rational in the discussion
Old 03-12-2012, 04:06 PM  

Nashville, TN
I have to agree with red, drilling new wells won't make much difference in the price at the pumps. Our problem is not supply, it's our refining capabilities, We are refining with 30-40- year old, at best, equipment. If we could build new, more modern refineries, drill our own oil, then we could say pi$$ up a rope OPEC. We have more reserves than the whole mid-east combined, but can't touch them.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:31 PM  
Administrator

Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvcabbie View Post

And so I guess you blame Bush because gas prices were even higher when he was in office than they are now. Speculators and the uncertainties in the middle east are the main reason for high gas prices. And I didn't care for Bush and don't care for Obama but I don't blame either one for the price spikes.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:29 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
oh yeah, let's not all forget the likely fallout from going to war with Iran, which all of the GOP nominees have been in strong support of (except ron paul). The fallout from that would absolutely make our current gas prices look like nothing
Old 03-13-2012, 11:20 AM  

Reno, Nevada
All I know is, $80 bucks to fill up my tank is freaking insanity.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:06 PM  

Houston, Texas
The best way to lower gas prices is don't buy any. Right now it's a sellers market because people demand it. If people don't buy it becomes a buyers market. But instead of walking or taking the bus or bicycling people keep right buying gas and complain about the cost. That's insanity.
Definition of insanity: continuing the same behavior and expecting a different outcome.
Old 03-13-2012, 05:38 PM  

Reno, Nevada
Well yes, people could start conserving and using alternative methods of transportation.

Gas corporations report record profits, so maybe they could allow some of that to trickle down.

I don't think it's simply a seller's market, the bigger picture, is well...bigger.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!