Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-13-2011, 07:23 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
Opinion?

I know one tried doobies while the other snorted coke. I've never heard of either doing other drugs. I think by 25 that's true for 75% of Americans but I'm guessing it takes a complete creep to cheat on a wife with cancer.

I said;

I did NOT say;

In the last couple years I've noticed taking a post and adding one's own implications is a popular new debate strategy. It is not, it would be laughed out of any debate on even a High School level. Deal with what is actually said, not your own idea of what I could have been implying please.

Actually, flaja and I were having a discussion. Easy there, killer. Good rant, though.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 05-13-2011, 07:36 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
No rant intended, just prefer being accountable for my own words rather than having others put words in my mouth.

Old 05-13-2011, 10:20 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Noted. Next time, if you and I are having a discussion, I'll keep that in mind.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 05-13-2011, 10:32 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
It's appreciated Sir.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:32 AM  
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɯnɹoɟ

VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaja View Post
I seriously doubt these stats. I am 43. I've never used illegal drugs of any kind (I won't even take the legal drugs that have been prescribed for me to stay alive). I've never used tobacco and the closest I come to using alcohol is keeping a bottle of cooking wine and a bottle of vodka that I use to make vanilla extract.

My mother is abot to turn 60. She's never used tobacco, alcohol or ileegal drugs either.
This is commendable I must say. And I guess a congratulations is in order.

I must ask, HOW did you get to this point? Was it the educational programs alloted to you regarding these substances? Or was it the criminal prohibition aspect of locking people up? OR was it the guidance and oversight of your parents?

I ask this because 1 out of the 3 of these are HUGE expendatures of our government, and honestly with the amount of $$$ put into it, Im not seeing many others in your category.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:32 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporLung View Post
This is commendable I must say. And I guess a congratulations is in order.

I must ask, HOW did you get to this point? Was it the educational programs alloted to you regarding these substances?
It likely started upon seeing my grandparents cough their lungs out because they all smoked like chimneys. Since I was born 10 weeks premature I had constant lung trouble until I was about 16. So second-hand smoke has always been particularly bothersome to me.

I doubt that educational programs had much to do with me not using drugs. Neither of my parents ever bothered to warn me away from drugs. A lot of reason I have never used drugs is common sense. I never socialized outside of the normal school day, so I was never in a situation where anyone could have offered me drugs or alcohol. I never even saw a schoolmate use so much as a cigarette. My mother says I was never offered anything because bad kids knew I wasn't worth their time and effort. But I would say it was due more to the fact that the school I went to for grades 7-12 was a college prep magnet- the school had the best students in the county and I think most of them came from intact homes. Unlike me, as far as I ever knew none of the classmates I associated with on a daily basis had divorced parents.

Quote:
Or was it the criminal prohibition aspect of locking people up?
Respect for the law is always a deterrence for people that are willing to respect the law. People who are likely to be drunks or addicts don't naturally respect the law because they are self-centered and self-serving and this makes it easy for them to be drunks and addicts.

Quote:
I ask this because 1 out of the 3 of these are HUGE expendatures of our government, and honestly with the amount of $$$ put into it, Im not seeing many others in your category.
Alcohol is a legal drug. But it is also this nation's most-abused drug. So legalization of drugs can do nothing but increase the number of addicts. We do not have anti-drug laws to reduce the number of addicts; we have such laws to make it more difficult for people that are or want to be addicts to harm the rest of us.

Izzy and Moe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When this movie was shown on TV for the first time it ended with a note saying that Americans consumed less alcohol during Prohibition than they ever had before or have had since (at least up to the time the movie was made). So it is a false argument that anti-drug laws don?t work- as long as people respect the law. Libertarians, by nature, have no respect for the law- any law.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.