Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2011, 01:11 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Yes, you can have your taxes deposited into an Impound Account, along with your home owner's insurance and possibly mortgage insurance, but it all adds up!
Oh, I know. Escrow is part of my mortgage payment. Also, it is possible that the escrow didn't accrue enough to cover the tax and you may have to pay a small lump sum to make up the difference the next year.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:24 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
I don't think that "getting by" necessarily means you can afford "extras" such as the newest fancy phone, or satellite TV, a new car payment or even Internet at your house.... I guess those are the types of things I was trying to get a feel for with this topic...
My internet costs me $9.95 and my phone (land line) is plugged into my computer. I don't have "the newest fancy phone, or satellite TV, a new car payment or even Internet at your house" because they are luxuries.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:11 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
.....I don't have "the newest fancy phone, or satellite TV, a new car payment or even Internet at your house" because they are luxuries.
So, are you saying you don't have those things at all, or you don't have them because they are luxuries but for some other reason?
I guess it doesn't really matter, just didn't really understand.

Aside from all of that, I think we are losing the point of my question, because unless YOUR lives are subsidized by tax dollars, then what you do or don't have doesn't hold any validity to the question.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:23 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
So, are you saying you don't have those things at all, or you don't have them because they are luxuries but for some other reason?
I guess it doesn't really matter, just didn't really understand.
I have a land line phone as a computer modem accessory, very basic cable (under $20), no cell and a 17 year old Dodge Caravan. Living on 12K a year makes most things luxuries. My income is only SS and my heath "coverage" (covers little) is Medicare.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:52 PM  

Shuswap, BC
What I don't understand is people that have a massive income, not ever saving some of it for a rainy day.
If your barely scraping by its hard to save i understand.
But the folks making 400,000 a year, that get into debt trouble astonish me.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:08 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
But the folks making 400,000 a year, that get into debt trouble astonish me.
but but ....Charlie Sheen is BROKE!?!?

Seriously, people as a rule are terrible at handling money. Money seems to carry more confusion and false values than the average Joe can manage.

When you read about people with maxed out credit cards and a 3rd mortgage it feels like the story of a retarded child trying to read Finnegan's Wake.

A guy wins 300 million $$$ and loses half off the top by taking it as a lump sum. (buy bonds fool!) and then blows the rest on stuff to impress his neighbors.

Money is an exchange/barter tool. Once it was seashells. It will never buy happiness, respect or make you a better human being. It can pay your utilities if you you invest it wisely.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:16 PM  
Lonely HUMMER Guy

Quote:
It will never buy happiness,
Now were getting off course a bit but I gotta add...

Yeah uh... I have to COMPLETELY disagree with you here. See this smile? Ear to ear baby. I don't make over 100k a year but I NEVER stress about what payment I'm not going to make each month or if I'm gonna have enough money in my account to feed my kids, buy them new clothes and toys or pay my mortgage and buy as much gas as I want for my HUMMER.

That right there makes me pretty damn happy.

When I was younger and not making much money, even before wife and kids, I was unhappy because I didn't have money to do anything.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:29 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
I understand your point but happiness isn't the absence of stress. I won't argue that the lack of said stress isn't a heckuva good feeling.

Certainly the guy making 400K isn't stressed over his cable bill but he may still be unhappy. Making 45K 15 years ago left me with little free time but with lots of extra money. What I really needed was less money and a job that didn't finish at 11:30 PM.
The only social life at that time of night is drunks in bars.
Old 03-25-2011, 05:08 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
I understand your point but happiness isn't the absence of stress. I won't argue that the lack of said stress isn't a heckuva good feeling.
I couldn't agree with you more. The past several posts, I agree with.

Also, I don't care if we get off topic ... But yes, I think it is a big problem with materialism that we have in this country especially. Everyone (so it seems) wants to "keep up" with everyone else.
(Again, straying a little) Materialism is the source of more than financial woes in this country. I will probably get fussed at but, I think that when a mother and father both have careers, the kids suffer. The kids suffer, and they become (possibly) less productive, and often poorly behaving adults. I said often, so for you folks who grew up with only one parent, or both parents working, I mean no offense. I know things happen. I am just referring to the picture as a whole in this country. Teachers are practically having to raise other peoples kids.... (I know, way off track....)
Old 03-25-2011, 06:49 AM  

You won't get any "fussin" from me, as IMHO you speak the truth. When I grew up, my mom was home and if I was caught doing something bad, she would run to the old tree in the backyard and pull a "switch" and commence to whip me with it. These days, she would be incarcerated for 20 years for placing a visible injury on my behind!

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!