Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2011, 07:07 AM  
Lonely HUMMER Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
I understand your point but happiness isn't the absence of stress. I won't argue that the lack of said stress isn't a heckuva good feeling.

Certainly the guy making 400K isn't stressed over his cable bill but he may still be unhappy. Making 45K 15 years ago left me with little free time but with lots of extra money. What I really needed was less money and a job that didn't finish at 11:30 PM.
The only social life at that time of night is drunks in bars.
Great point. I suppose if you are working 60 - 80 hours a week you probably are pretty unhappy with your life. Nobody wants to be working that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
I couldn't agree with you more. The past several posts, I agree with.

Also, I don't care if we get off topic ... But yes, I think it is a big problem with materialism that we have in this country especially. Everyone (so it seems) wants to "keep up" with everyone else.
(Again, straying a little) Materialism is the source of more than financial woes in this country. I will probably get fussed at but, I think that when a mother and father both have careers, the kids suffer. The kids suffer, and they become (possibly) less productive, and often poorly behaving adults. I said often, so for you folks who grew up with only one parent, or both parents working, I mean no offense. I know things happen. I am just referring to the picture as a whole in this country. Teachers are practically having to raise other peoples kids.... (I know, way off track....)
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
You won't get any "fussin" from me, as IMHO you speak the truth. When I grew up, my mom was home and if I was caught doing something bad, she would run to the old tree in the backyard and pull a "switch" and commence to whip me with it. These days, she be incarcerated for 20 years for placing a visible injury on my behind!
Yup agreed. My mom was a stay at home mom so I can relate. I'm also glad that my wife stays at home with my kids. However, she runs a daycare, so my children get to interact with plenty of kids, she stays home and makes money. For me, that's a win win.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:02 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
When I grew up, my mom was home and if I was caught doing something bad, she would run to the old tree in the backyard and pull a "switch" and commence to whip me with it. These days, she be incarcerated for 20 years for placing a visible injury on my behind!
What's up with that? I wasn't strapped often but when I was I'd earned it. No felonies, no crack, meth or IV drugs and I've worked since I was 9.

I should add that I see parents who would abuse that right. There's a disturbing trend of mothers killing their own kids, beaten infants and unsupervised children.
Something appears broken.

Old 03-26-2011, 11:20 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
What's up with that? I wasn't strapped often but when I was I'd earned it. No felonies, no crack, meth or IV drugs and I've worked since I was 9.

I can relate to this. When I was in elementary school the strap was still in play. If you misbehaved in class, you were send into the corridor to wait for "the bear" (the principal) to prowl the hallways looking for new victims.

The Bear didn't take kindly to brats like me, and he did his best with the strap, but I guess it was just never quite enough.

And my head is still all dented from the wooden spoon my mom used to wield.

But I am still misbehaved
Old 03-26-2011, 11:22 AM  

I myself wonder whether it is a trend itself, or has media these days brought it to light?
Old 03-26-2011, 11:26 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
As for a decent income, anything less than 10K more than I presently make is peanuts.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:28 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I myself wonder whether it is a trend itself, or has media these days brought it to light?
Not so much the media as the internet.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:32 AM  

Yeah, I shoulld have mentioned the Internet but included it when referring to the media.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:58 AM  
Mr. Happy

Montreal, Quebec
I knew I was going to get called on that the second I hit the send button
Old 03-26-2011, 05:08 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
But I am still misbehaved
It's the hair laddie.

God in his infinite wisdom banded the venomous of the earth and brightened up the firebrands so we could see them coming.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads