Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Reply
Old 12-15-2012, 10:24 AM  
Senior Member

Kent, Ohio
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,237 | Kudos: +67
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadarrows View Post
I have been driving a 300 dollar GEO into the ground for 7 years now. I figured I would kill it then get something else. I have never even changed the oil. New tires and it needed a new relay once. It just won't die. I use it to do all my errands and put about 40 k a year on it. I use my trucks for work only. Just saying.
Well, when you only put 40 kilometers on a vehicle per year, they'll last quite awhile. And that must be what you meant, because if you would tell us that you've driven a Geo 280,000 miles in 7 years and have replaced nothing but tires and a relay, you would be a liar and a troll.
__________________

__________________
We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:45 AM  
Senior Member

Kent, Ohio
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,237 | Kudos: +67
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmurdoc34 View Post
So you use your truck for work correct?

Then you should be using a newer truck for that. It all depends on what you want to do with said car. For my running around I drive a paid for Toyota Matrix with 150k on it it needs some work and I am slowly performing that work myself because I am too darn cheap to pay some guy to do what I know I can do.

I bought my wife a nice safe car for her commute that has options like bluetooth sat radio and AWD. She is a nurse and when she needs to go to work she needs to do to work. There is no calling in saying too much snow for her. She gets the new car with a warranty and road side assistance. I get the older car because I live 5 miles from my job and I don't put the miles on my car like she does.

You complain about a bad rep. Guess what you are the one that made poor choices. Don't blame it on my way of thinking. You knew you needed a reliable truck to perform your trade you neglicted that NEED and did what you WANTED.

Just becase some of us can get away with a HOOPTIE doesn't mean everyone can. Car's are by far a horriable investment. You never get any of the money you put into it. But, if you are using it for a business you devalue the assesst at a specific rate and when it is used up you either A buy a new assesst or B keep using it and banking the money for your business. That is basic and simple Accounting 101.

That is like saying you are a mechanic so there for I need to buy a $15k set of tools to work on my car and not the cheap tools I have because you had a Walmart wrench break on you costing you time and money.
Exactly! If I was only commuting locally, I certainly couldn't justify purchasing a new vehicle. The need for an extremely reliable vehicle is one of many costs of doing my business.

More of my costs of doing business are a wireless data package, a $150 smartphone every two years or so, a $500 laptop every 4 years or so, a $300 camera every 2-3 years... If my work dramatically drops off today and I can't find other work, I'll be on public assistance within 9 months. I could sell off all my "toys" above, but I'd have to replace them in order to do the work I'm most capable of performing. But in the meantime, I'd be the guy buying groceries with food stamps and carrying not just a cell phone, but a fancy smartphone.

Fortunately, I've got plenty of options if business slows down.
__________________

__________________
We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart
Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 11:58 PM  
American
 
leadarrows's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 251 | Kudos: +61
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
Well, when you only put 40 kilometers on a vehicle per year, they'll last quite awhile. And that must be what you meant, because if you would tell us that you've driven a Geo 280,000 miles in 7 years and have replaced nothing but tires and a relay, you would be a liar and a troll.
I speak English...K stands for one thousand not kilometers. I do not lie. I am driving it with 2 broken shocks...it needs new exhaust a headlight...the door handles are broken on the outside in front you have to open a rear door and reach to the inside front door handles to get in. I never said it hasn't broken or needed repair....it still goes with out them so why put money in a 300 dollar car?

You know if your opinion meant anything I would be ticked off you calling me a lier...lol good for me you don't mean zhit to me huh?

I can take pictures of the poor old thing if you want.

I put every dime into owning my property. That investment has tripled in the last 7 years. So I think I am spending my money on the right stuff.

I have been a licensed mechanic for 39 years. I have around forty grand in tools...a tire changer...above ground lift...and my farm shop is 36' by 60'. Working on my stuff is not a problem for me. The GEO I just let go...I have expected it to die for a few years and just don't spend money on it.

On the other hand I have over the years done a lot of work on the dump truck. It has had new brakes once, 3 clutch replacements. 2 rear drive axle and ring and pinions. Lots of oil changes, new exhaust twice, new rear gear two speed splinter motors, new better seats, new carburetor ....that's all I remember for now but it still all cost me far less than a new truck and it starts right up and does it's job with out fail....I do get a flat from time to time...new trucks probable don't get those huh?

If i had to make 400 a month payments on a new truck I would not get one more dime of work doing what I do...and last year when work was slow...I would have lost it. My truck has been paid off for 10 years. I just bought another one almost just like my first one for $2500.00. Needs new front tires and an alignment. Cambers too positive and the toe in is too much toe in. That causes fast tire wear.


Well I am tired of this....goodnight girls.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 01:43 AM  
Senior Member

Kent, Ohio
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,237 | Kudos: +67
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadarrows View Post
I speak English...K stands for one thousand not kilometers. I do not lie. I am driving it with 2 broken shocks...it needs new exhaust a headlight...the door handles are broken on the outside in front you have to open a rear door and reach to the inside front door handles to get in. I never said it hasn't broken or needed repair....it still goes with out them so why put money in a 300 dollar car?

You know if your opinion meant anything I would be ticked off you calling me a lier...lol good for me you don't mean zhit to me huh?

I can take pictures of the poor old thing if you want.

I put every dime into owning my property. That investment has tripled in the last 7 years. So I think I am spending my money on the right stuff.

I have been a licensed mechanic for 39 years. I have around forty grand in tools...a tire changer...above ground lift...and my farm shop is 36' by 60'. Working on my stuff is not a problem for me. The GEO I just let go...I have expected it to die for a few years and just don't spend money on it.

On the other hand I have over the years done a lot of work on the dump truck. It has had new brakes once, 3 clutch replacements. 2 rear drive axle and ring and pinions. Lots of oil changes, new exhaust twice, new rear gear two speed splinter motors, new better seats, new carburetor ....that's all I remember for now but it still all cost me far less than a new truck and it starts right up and does it's job with out fail....I do get a flat from time to time...new trucks probable don't get those huh?

If i had to make 400 a month payments on a new truck I would not get one more dime of work doing what I do...and last year when work was slow...I would have lost it. My truck has been paid off for 10 years. I just bought another one almost just like my first one for $2500.00. Needs new front tires and an alignment. Cambers too positive and the toe in is too much toe in. That causes fast tire wear.


Well I am tired of this....goodnight girls.
You are a liar. I don't know what you think you gain from this lie, but you are lying when you claim to have driven 280,000 miles in 7 years (to run "errands") without performing any maintenance save tire changes and a relay.
__________________
We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:52 AM  
American
 
leadarrows's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 251 | Kudos: +61
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
You are a liar. I don't know what you think you gain from this lie, but you are lying when you claim to have driven 280,000 miles in 7 years (to run "errands") without performing any maintenance save tire changes and a relay.
I checked my records and I did forget I put brake pads on 3 times...a new distributor, wiper blades, a battery and several tires since 2008. I keep pretty good records and that is all that's on them for that car.
Forgetting a few small change items...the distributor being the most expensive does not change the facts.
We were debating the cost of driving old versus new. I know it has worked out best for me. I suppose I should have looked at my records before I posted what I have done to that car but I don't see a huge difference really. Heck the distributor was not even bad, it was actually the relay.
Well I have nothing to gain so why would I lie? I know I have been lucky with this car....I never expected it to last this long either so I suppose I can understand your skepticism. I don't give a rats azz but I see where your coming from. Lucky me....I don't care.

You want to throw your money away buying new cars and trucks be my guest.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:35 AM  
Senior Member

Kent, Ohio
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,237 | Kudos: +67
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadarrows View Post
I checked my records and I did forget I put brake pads on 3 times...a new distributor, wiper blades, a battery and several tires since 2008. I keep pretty good records and that is all that's on them for that car.
Forgetting a few small change items...the distributor being the most expensive does not change the facts.
We were debating the cost of driving old versus new. I know it has worked out best for me. I suppose I should have looked at my records before I posted what I have done to that car but I don't see a huge difference really. Heck the distributor was not even bad, it was actually the relay.
Well I have nothing to gain so why would I lie? I know I have been lucky with this car....I never expected it to last this long either so I suppose I can understand your skepticism. I don't give a rats azz but I see where your coming from. Lucky me....I don't care.

You want to throw your money away buying new cars and trucks be my guest.
I'm waiting for the records on the major mechanicals, or the admission you haven't driven this vehicle 280,000 miles in 7 years, because those two claims are incompatible.

"40,000 miles a year" and "for errands" don't add up. Your further claim that you have other vehicles for work puts this even more in doubt. That's about 2-3 hours of freeway driving; or 4-6 hours of local driving, each and every day of the year. I know that because that's similar to my driving profile. I *have* clocked 40,000 miles/year in POS cars. I *know* how many repairs that driving profile requires and how expensive just the parts are. I know this because I found myself spending, on average, hundreds of dollars a month keeping these POS vehicles operational for this amount of driving, and found that a car payment was cheaper.

I think that you're trying to say that it's cheaper to buy a POS car and maintain it than it is to buy a new car. If one can perform their own maintenance and repairs, and tolerate the unreliability of a POS car, and their driving profile is light enough that repairs aren't regularly needed, this is very true. The car of a little old lady who drives to church once a week will last decades without a major mechanical problem. But when she gives it to her grandson who turns it into a taxi and works 8 hours a day, it won't last 6 months without a major mechanical problem.

But your claim appears to be trying to suggest that cars don't need maintenance; that they'll keep running for years and hundreds of thousands of miles without significant maintenance and repair. Your claim appears to be suggesting that maintenance is optional, that the only things that break down are either non-essential to the vehicle, or easily and cheaply repairable issues. This is completely, absurdly, and demonstrably false.

You are a liar.
__________________
We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:03 AM  
American
 
leadarrows's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 251 | Kudos: +61
I'm waiting for the records on the major mechanicals, or the admission you haven't driven this vehicle 280,000 miles in 7 years, because those two claims are incompatible.

"40,000 miles a year" and "for errands" don't add up. Your further claim that you have other vehicles for work puts this even more in doubt. That's about 2-3 hours of freeway driving; or 4-6 hours of local driving, each and every day of the year. I know that because that's similar to my driving profile. I *have* clocked 40,000 miles/year in POS cars. I *know* how many repairs that driving profile requires and how expensive just the parts are. I know this because I found myself spending, on average, hundreds of dollars a month keeping these POS vehicles operational for this amount of driving, and found that a car payment was cheaper.

I think that you're trying to say that it's cheaper to buy a POS car and maintain it than it is to buy a new car. If one can perform their own maintenance and repairs, and tolerate the unreliability of a POS car, and their driving profile is light enough that repairs aren't regularly needed, this is very true. The car of a little old lady who drives to church once a week will last decades without a major mechanical problem. But when she gives it to her grandson who turns it into a taxi and works 8 hours a day, it won't last 6 months without a major mechanical problem.

But your claim appears to be trying to suggest that cars don't need maintenance; that they'll keep running for years and hundreds of thousands of miles without significant maintenance and repair. Your claim appears to be suggesting that maintenance is optional, that the only things that break down are either non-essential to the vehicle, or easily and cheaply repairable issues. This is completely, absurdly, and demonstrably false.

You are a liar.[/quote]
And you are an idiot. So now what?

115 miles a day average on a car I use to go 100 miles one way many of the times I use it is not that hard to do. It's 25 miles one way to just about every where I go. I live 45 miles from Indy and go their 2 or 3 times a week, 15 miles one way to dads house, he is 87 and I go over their 4 or 5 times a week sometimes 2 or 3 times a day depending on his needs. Seems like I never get anything else done but work and driving some where.
You have a lot of nerve calling someone a liar when you have no idea of what their life calls on them to do.

My last post on this subject....I have more important things to do then convince some moron I drive a lot. Your a real piece of work ant you....


OK so I just went and looked...I bought the car from my daughter with 26 thousand on it in 2008. Her husband had a mini van and they never used this car much so I bought it after our son blew the motor in the Park Avenue my wifes step mother gave us. . It now has 287210 miles so that's 261210 miles not 300 k I should have looked. I guessed the millage. Shoot me.
"How not to be poor"-121216_0001.jpg 

"How not to be poor"-121216_0004.jpg 

Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:57 AM  
Senior Member
 
havasu's Avatar

California
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 5,747 | Kudos: +238
Images: 17
My brother has a 2006 Toyota Tacoma with 290,000 miles on it. Other than changing his oil with synthetic oil every 7500 miles, three set of brakes, and one set of wiper blades, he has not touched it. As a matter of fact, he is thinking of selling it and have asked him to allow me to place an offer on it.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:57 AM  
Senior Member

Kent, Ohio
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,237 | Kudos: +67
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadarrows View Post
And you are an idiot. So now what?

115 miles a day average on a car I use to go 100 miles one way many of the times I use it is not that hard to do. It's 25 miles one way to just about every where I go. I live 45 miles from Indy and go their 2 or 3 times a week, 15 miles one way to dads house, he is 87 and I go over their 4 or 5 times a week sometimes 2 or 3 times a day depending on his needs. Seems like I never get anything else done but work and driving some where.
You have a lot of nerve calling someone a liar when you have no idea of what their life calls on them to do.

My last post on this subject....I have more important things to do then convince some moron I drive a lot. Your a real piece of work ant you....
If you continue to claim that you have driven 40,000 miles a year, 280,000 miles in 7 year, and performed only the maintenance you've thus far claimed, I will continue to call you a liar, because you are one.

Do you want to know why? A lot of folks like to exaggerate their accomplishments. When a young person decides to head out on their own, they need to immediately start making the very important life decisions that can drive them to either poverty or success. And, lacking their own experience, they will be making those decisions based on the experiences others have relayed to them.

When you, and others like you, make asinine, impossible claims about their own expenses, young people use those claims to make their decisions. "Oh wow, a $300 car will last 280,000 miles with no need for major repairs, not even an oil change? That's what I'll budget for."

This is just one reason why I will call out a liar when I see one. Because the mistakes that land people in poverty, the mistakes that are the very subject of this thread, are rooted in the lies and exaggerations like yours. Liars like you, coupled with the inexperience of youth preventing them from realizing that they are liars, are a part of the problem.
__________________
We work together every damn day. --Jon Stewart
Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:07 PM  
American
 
leadarrows's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 251 | Kudos: +61
Well I do not lie. I have shown you the car and mileage. I have all my receipts but that would take more time then this is worth to post them. Besides you just want to call someone you don't know names with no proof to back you up. You would just say I didn't post them all so there is no way to prove I am telling the truth. Your explanation of why is full of holes just like your brain. Would my claims to have just gotten lucky and my mechanical experience all be assumed by your imaginary example? Some kid will think he can put brakes on his car because I can? All I have claimed is my 300 dollar car has worked out well for me and it's the truth. Your the one trying to make some big deal out of this.

Are you a new car salesman by chance? Is that what this is about?
__________________

Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Suggested Threads

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.