Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2011, 04:00 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
So is this "Report an Attack" a way to censor the American public? Let me guess, "he" decided to change the First Amendment of the Constitution in order to intimidate people?
At least this one is paid for by the democrat party. The last one he had was paid by the taxpayer. I reported his own broken promises on it.

Old 09-25-2011, 11:19 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR

Quote:
So is this "Report an Attack" a way to censor the American public? Let me guess, "he" decided to change the First Amendment of the Constitution in order to intimidate people?
No one is censor anyone when they identify a falsehood and make the lie public. Does Snopes "censor" bull**** rumors?

The Right has lived by the BIG LIE since Ray-Gun's Southern Strategy.

I am enjoying the chance to watch 9 stooges throe pies at eachother.

Old 09-29-2011, 05:06 AM  
Supporting Member

Aylett (Richmond Area), VA
Just received in an e-mail and thought was pretty good.............
Quote:
Thomas Jefferson

This is amazing. There are two parts. Be sure to read the 2nd part (in RED).

Thomas Jefferson was a very remarkable man who started learning very early in life and never stopped.

At 5, began studying under his cousin's tutor.

At 9, studied Latin, Greek and French.

At 14, studied classical literature and additional languages.

At 16, entered the College of William and Mary.

At 19, studied Law for 5 years starting under George Wythe.

At 23, started his own law practice.

At 25, was elected to the Virginia House of Burgesses.

At 31, wrote the widely circulated "Summary View of the Rights of British America and retired from his law practice.

At 32, was a Delegate to the Second Continental Congress.

At 33, wrote the Declaration of Independence .

At 33, took three years to revise Virginia 's legal code and wrote a Public Education bill and a statute for Religious Freedom.

At 36, was elected the second Governor of Virginia , succeeding Patrick Henry.

At 40, served in Congress for two years.

At 41, was the American minister to France , and negotiated commercial treaties with European nations along with Ben Franklin and John Adams.

At 46, served as the first Secretary of State under George Washington.

At 53, served as Vice President and was elected president of the American Philosophical Society.

At 55, drafted the Kentucky Resolutions, and became the active head of Republican Party.

At 57, was elected the third president of the United States .

At 60, obtained the Louisiana Purchase , doubling the nation's size.

At 61, was elected to a second term as President.

At 65, retired to Monticello .

At 80, helped President Monroe shape the Monroe Doctrine.

At 81, almost single-handedly created the University of Virginia , and served as its first president.

At 83, died on the 50th anniversary of the Signing of the Declaration of Independence, along with John Adams

Thomas Jefferson knew because he himself studied the previous failed attempts at government. He understood actual history, the nature of God, his laws and the nature of man. That happens to be way more than what most understand today. Jefferson really knew his stuff. A voice from the past to lead us in the future:

John F. Kennedy held a dinner in the white House for a group of the brightest minds in the nation at that time. He made this statement: "This is perhaps the assembly of the most intelligence ever to gather at one time in the White House with the exception of when Thomas Jefferson dined alone."

"When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe ." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."-- Thomas Jefferson

"It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world."-- Thomas Jefferson

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." -- Thomas Jefferson

"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government." -- Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."-- Thomas Jefferson

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson said in 1802:

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies.
If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property - until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."

Old 09-29-2011, 06:17 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by teaberryeagle View Post
That IS good..... He was no dummy!

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 09-29-2011, 06:35 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaberryeagle View Post
Just a note...Many forwarded e-mails are currently being circulated that are full of half truths and complete lies. I only checked out the last quote and confirmed through Snopes.com that this statement is false.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:00 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Just a note...Many forwarded e-mails are currently being circulated that are full of half truths and complete lies. I only checked out the last quote and confirmed through Snopes.com that this statement is false.
I don't care if Mickey Mouse said it. Sounds pretty accurate.

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 09-29-2011, 08:07 AM  

I agree completely and could only wish Thomas Jefferson had said it.
Old 09-29-2011, 08:23 AM  

According to this source Jefferson said it just not in one letter, Talk:Private Banks (Quotation) - Thomas Jefferson Encyclopedia
Quote:
More details

The quote with "inflation, then by deflation" is clearly spurious, but the rest of the quote seems to be distorted and jumbled-together portions of Jefferson's letters.

The earliest I've found this combination is 1895, from an article "Bimetallism and Currency" by Joshua Douglass in American Magazine of Civics (7:256). On page 265:

I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. Already they have raised up a money aristocracy that has set the government at defiance. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the government and the people, to whom it belongs. Let the banks exist, but let them bank on treasury notes.

The first sentence, as you say, is from Jefferson's letter to John Taylor, 28 May 1816:

And I sincerely believe, with you, that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies; and that the principle of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale.

The second sentence is from his letter to Dr. Josephus B. Stuart, 10 May 1817:

The bank mania is one of the most threatening of these imitations. It is raising up a moneyed aristocracy in our country which has already set the government at defiance, and although forced at length to yield a little on this first essay of heir strength, their principles are unyielded and unyielding.

The third and fourth ?quite distorted? are from his letter to John W. Eppes, 11 September 1813:

The question will be asked and ought to be looked at, what is to be the resource if loans cannot be obtained? There is but one, ?Carthago delenda est.? Bank paper must be suppressed, and the circulating medium must be restored to the nation to whom it belongs. It is the only fund on which they can rely for loans; it is the only resource which can never fail them, and it is an abundant one for every necessary purpose. Treasury bills, bottomed on taxes, bearing or not bearing interest, as may be found necessary, thrown into circulation will take the place of so much gold and silver, which last, when crowded, will find an efflux into other countries, and thus keep the quantum of medium at its salutary level. Let banks continue if they please, but let them discount for cash alone or for treasury notes.
Old 09-29-2011, 12:17 PM  
Supporting Member

Thomas Jefferson

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thomas Jefferson - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

THOMAS JEFFERSON'S QUOTES:

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_jefferson.html
Old 09-29-2011, 12:21 PM  
Supporting Member

QUOTES BY "BARACK OBAMA".......

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/b/barack_obama.html

Be sure to check the quotes of these other "authors"....lower right on the above link..

Your Favorite Authors
Abraham Lincoln
Albert Einstein
Benjamin Franklin
Buddha
C. S. Lewis
Dalai Lama
John F. Kennedy
Mark Twain
Martin Luther King, Jr.
Maya Angelou
Mohandas Gandhi
Mother Teresa
Muhammad Ali
Ronald Reagan
Thomas Jefferson
William Shakespeare
Winston Churchill

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!