Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 11-06-2011, 07:48 PM  
Traveler

Jobs for the soldiers/Iraq?

I never hear anything about this, but has any thought been given to how the returning troops will find employment?

IIRC, today it sounded like the troops in Afghanistan will be returning next year.

I would like to know what The Plan is.

Old 11-06-2011, 08:29 PM  

Sammamish, WA
First, the returning troops are still in the military, and most will simply be located at local bases in the U.S., just no longer overseas.

For those in the reserve or national guard, that went active, their old jobs will be waiting for them.

Any that choose not to re-enlist when their time is up can take advantage of some programs to help them such as Hire a Hero and Hire Heroes USA where employers have committed to give priority to vets.

Old 11-07-2011, 02:25 AM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
First, the returning troops are still in the military, and most will simply be located at local bases in the U.S., just no longer overseas.

For those in the reserve or national guard, that went active, their old jobs will be waiting for them.

Any that choose not to re-enlist when their time is up can take advantage of some programs to help them such as Hire a Hero and Hire Heroes USA where employers have committed to give priority to vets.
ok--I also hear that there will be radical cuts to Defense--smaller military force which leads me to conclude that many who have served will no longer be needed. This concerns me. Greatly.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:36 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe

I appreciate your optimism. First off, re-enlistment is getting much much harder, given the looming defense cuts. I'm active duty Marine Corps, and am not going to re-enlist in 2013, due to dwindling training budgets, tuition assistance being axes for fiscal purposes, and a few other things. The next five years is going to see a drastic cut in the military. The Corps' goal is to cut down to at least 180,000 from our current force of 202,000.

As far as the returning to work programs, they're well-intentioned but poorly organized and executed. The veteran jobless rate is still considerably higher than that of normal citizens. I consider that a travesty, and disgusting.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!