Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-23-2011, 10:26 AM  

Nashville, TN
When you ask for attention, don't be surprised when someone obliges.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:34 AM  

Greenville, SC
Some of these "protesters" seem to see being arrested for civil disobedience as a sort of "badge of courage" or something, so when the pepper spray comes out instead some folks get all bent out of shape!

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 11-23-2011, 10:44 AM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Civil disobedience is the name of their game. Negative attention is more potent that positive attention. They should be trying to get arrested or pepper sprayed to gather attention to their cause. It is what they are supposed to do. The media helps alot when it comes to civil disobedience. If they didn't have air time or were not written about, when they get pepper sprayed or go to jail, they wouldn't be noticed so much.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:27 PM  

Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRB View Post
Civil disobedience is the name of their game. Negative attention is more potent that positive attention. They should be trying to get arrested or pepper sprayed to gather attention to their cause. It is what they are supposed to do. The media helps alot when it comes to civil disobedience. If they didn't have air time or were not written about, when they get pepper sprayed or go to jail, they wouldn't be noticed so much.
Absolutely, could not agree more. After all look what happened as a result of the civil disobedience during the Viet Nam War (for those old enough to remember). It got us out of Viet Nam. So on that basis I guess I need to look at this in a different light. A light of more police violence, more mace, bring in the water cannons and shotguns. he more violence by police the better (for the media). More violence=more media coverage.
Old 11-23-2011, 12:42 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR

Quote:
If they didn't have air time or were not written about, when they get pepper sprayed or go to jail, they wouldn't be noticed so much.
Good point, I hope the AARP figured that out.
Lt. John Pike-pepper-spray-dorli-rainey_50.jpg 

Lt. John Pike-nazi.jpg.jpg 

Lt. John Pike-pepperspraycopnapalmgirl.jpg 

Lt. John Pike-jfk.jpg 

Old 11-23-2011, 01:11 PM  

Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRB View Post
Are you suggesting that the media be controlled? While that may not be your intent that would certainly be the result.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:24 PM  
fustrated genius

Costs came from overtime by police, other services, report says

BY The Associated Press
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Wednesday, November 23 2011, 12:48 PM

Craig F. Walker/AP
Police raise weapons while making an arrest during the Occupy Denver protest.

James Keivom/New York Daily News
Occupy Wall Street protestors marched from Zuccotti Park to Union Square.

During the first two months of the nationwide Occupy protests, the movement that is demanding more out of the wealthiest Americans cost local taxpayers at least $13 million in police overtime and other municipal services, according to a survey by The Associated Press.

The heaviest financial burden has fallen upon law enforcement agencies tasked with monitoring marches and evicting protesters from outdoor camps. And the steepest costs by far piled up in New York City and Oakland, Calif., where police clashed with protesters on several occasions.

SEE IT: THE 99% OCCUPIES AMERICA

The AP gathered figures from government agencies in 18 cities with active protests and focused on costs through Nov. 15, the day protesters were evicted from New York City's Zuccotti Park, where the protests began Sept. 17 before spreading nationwide. The survey did not attempt to tally the price of all protests but provides a glimpse of costs to cities large and small.

Broken down city by city, the numbers are more or less in line with the cost of policing major public events and emergencies. In Los Angeles, for example, the Michael Jackson memorial concert cost the city $1.4 million. And Atlanta spent several million dollars after a major snow and ice storm this year.

But the price of the protests is rising by the day — along with taxpayer ire in some places.

"What is their real agenda?" asked Rodger Mawhinney as he watched police remove an encampment outside his apartment complex in downtown Oakland. "I've gone up and asked them, 'What are you truly trying to accomplish?' I'm still waiting for an answer."

The Occupy movement has intentionally never clarified its policy objectives, relying instead on a broad message opposing corporate excess and income inequality. Aside from policing, cleaning and repairing property at dozens of 24-hour encampments, cities have had to monitor frequent rallies and protests.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:32 PM  
fustrated genius

Now, the only ones who'll have any money are the 1% and the cops from all their OT checks.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:34 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Absolutely, could not agree more. After all look what happened as a result of the civil disobedience during the Viet Nam War (for those old enough to remember). It got us out of Viet Nam. So on that basis I guess I need to look at this in a different light. A light of more police violence, more mace, bring in the water cannons and shotguns. he more violence by police the better (for the media). More violence=more media coverage.
Exactly. And I don't consider getting pepper sprayed violent. Actually it's kind of funny. Had it done to me to see what it was like. Shaty but doable. The modern day media will grab anything and make it seem more intense or terriable than it really is. Having your "blunt skull" caved in with a night stick, being beaten by someones bare hands, being knifed, or being shot is somewhat more violent. The protesters in the 1960's had alot of more head knocking,water cannons, rough handling in general going on, and some even died being shot at Kent State. I too was raised in the 1960's and knew folks that protested the war, LBJ, and Nixon. Todays protesters are lightweight compaired back to then.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:47 PM  
MRB

Sacramento, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Are you suggesting that the media be controlled? While that may not be your intent that would certainly be the result.
No... I'm not suggesting that the media be controlled. What I'm saying is that the organizers of these protests as well as some of the protesters go out of their way for photo oportunities that attract wide spread attention to thier cause. It's what they are supposed to do. If it means pushing so hard at the immediate time that they get sprayed with pepper spray in the face or to possibly seceretly pay the cop to do so at just the right place and time then so be it. The media just does what it does. The media does report but somewhat gets used.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.