Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2011, 11:08 AM  

Greenville, SC
The gun owner was at a self-service car wash in northeast Colorado Springs when he was approached by a man with a knife. According to the Colorado Springs Gazette, the knife-wielding robber got the surprise of his life when his would-be victim pulled out a gun instead of his wallet. Surprised, the bad guy turned and ran, and the gun owner called police to report the attempted robbery.

Old 09-06-2011, 11:25 AM  

Greenville, SC
August 18, 2011
Restaurant Carry and Crime Reduction
Last year, Virginia become one of the many states to put on the books a law that allows Right-to-Carry holders to possess their firearms in establishments that where alcohol is served. Throughout the months that the NRA was fighting in Richmond for the bill's passage, the media was serving up a steady diet of insults and lies, proclaiming that if the restaurant-carry bill became law, Virginia would become a more dangerous place.

A year later, crime in establishments that serve alcohol has dropped, according to the Richmond Times-Dispatch. But even cold, hard facts aren't enough to get some people to admit they were wrong. The newspaper quotes State Senator Donald McEachin, who opposed the legislation from the beginning. He said, "I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to figure out that just like drinking and driving doesn't mix, guns and drinking don't mix."

Of course, Senator McEachin didn't mention the fact that those legally carrying concealed cannot drink. And if McEachin really believes that comparison is valid, why on earth hasn't he proposed legislation banning cars from parking outside of places that serve alcohol?

Old 09-06-2011, 01:59 PM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
An event in Manchester last month caused the usual suspects to man their battle stations, but it also raised some important points for rational people to consider. When Peter Vaillancourt saw a man breaking into the Manchester Professional Fire Fighters Association hall across the street from his home, he grabbed his shotgun and flip flopped across the street. He advised the man to "sit down and wait for the police to come." The man complied, and the incident ended with him in custody.

Read About It: The Nashua Telegraph (Hudson, N.H.)
Gun owners gotta be EXTREMELY careful with situations like that, for a few reasons.

First, on a personal level: There ARE people who are required to break into buildings as part of their legal, routine business. I'm one of them. It's also why I wear an ID card around my neck and carry openly. DON'T make assumptions. If there is any doubt, call the police. If someone walks up to me with a gun while I'm going about my business, tensions are going to be high, and that person will be an armed trespassing on private property under my armed control and authority. If there is any doubt to be had about the subsequent interaction, it will be to MY benefit, no matter how honorable your intentions. And someone less-honorable than me will have you charged for your efforts. (Me, I'll just explain myself to you and to the police if you call them, no harm no foul. Unless you're a jerk. )

Second, Menacing. I think he was acquitted, but there was a case where a guy caught someone breaking into a neighbor's house and was charged with menacing for holding a gun on the perpetrator.

Third, the penalty for breaking and entering is greater than for simple vandalism. Throwing a rock through a window is a lesser crime than throwing a rock through a window, then reaching in that window to grab something. If you're going to catch them, catch them red-handed.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:24 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
....Second, Menacing. I think he was acquitted, but there was a case where a guy caught someone breaking into a neighbor's house and was charged with menacing for holding a gun on the perpetrator.
"Menacing". I have never heard of that. (I'm sure I could look it up). To me that is a ridiculous charge.

Also, I agree with you. There are definitely situations that may be misunderstood and great care should be taken anytime firearms are involved.
I believe that it is very important to notify authorities if possible FIRST then try to understand clearly what is going on before taking action.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:50 AM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
"Menacing". I have never heard of that. (I'm sure I could look it up). To me that is a ridiculous charge.
Very common charge that addresses an equally common problem. Wouldn't "look it up" a lack of familiarity that could change your views?

I can visit any gun forum to read NRA scare stories.

List of countries by firearm-related death rate
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a historical list of countries by firearm-related death-rate per 100,000 population in one year.

List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mainstream media usually doesn't tell you...-gun-related.jpg 

Old 09-07-2011, 08:04 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
I never said it wasn't ridiculous. In the particular instance I'm thinking of, that is... I'm pretty sure that either the charges were dropped, or he was acquitted. Still, better safe than sorry. Never know what anti-gun nut will be on the jury.

Quote:

Also, I agree with you. There are definitely situations that may be misunderstood and great care should be taken anytime firearms are involved.
I believe that it is very important to notify authorities if possible FIRST then try to understand clearly what is going on before taking action.
Yep. I'm not suggesting "don't respond with a gun". I'm just saying, when I discover the back door to one of my properties kicked in, I'm not sure what meth-head may or may not be in this house, and you, the neighbor, walk onto my property holding a shotgun, trying to defend your neighborhood from the hooligans who broke into that vacant house last night... Any significant miscommunication or misjudgment at the moment we meet can rapidly escalate to friendly fire. I don't want to kill a good guy, I don't want to be killed by a good guy, and I certainly don't want a good guy going to prison for armed criminal trespassing and/or manslaughter over a stupid mistake.

Similar problems when you see me taking possession of a house. I very rarely receive a key; I usually have to break off a door knob to gain entrance. Approach me if you must, but figure out the situation before you pull a gun on me. As suspicious as my actions may seem, it's my doorknob to break off, and the armed intruder in the scenario is actually you.

Take a defensive position, watch the situation develop, record it if you can, and if you think there is a problem, call in the uniforms.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:26 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucher View Post
Very common charge that addresses an equally common problem. Wouldn't "look it up" a lack of familiarity that could change your views?

I can visit any gun forum to read NRA scare stories.

List of countries by firearm-related death rate
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is a historical list of countries by firearm-related death-rate per 100,000 population in one year.

List of countries by firearm-related death rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Point of clarification - crime rates in 1993, the year reported for the US in that chart, had reached record highs. By 2000, the year reported for many other countries, US violent crime rates had dropped roughly 25%.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:44 AM  

Greenville, SC
Okay. I looked it up. I still find that the charge for "menacing" is ridiculous in that situation.

Also, what is the point of your chart exactly?? It doesn't show population, density, gun laws or any of the other things key to those numbers.

Also, if you look at List of countries by gun ownership - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia It shows little corrolation between the two.
Old 09-07-2011, 06:57 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
horror of Nevada shooting

911 calls capture horror of Nevada shooting

911 calls capture horror of Nevada shooting - CNN.com

Quote:
(CNN) -- Dozens of 911 calls released Wednesday by the Carson City, Nevada, Sheriff's Office capture the horror of a mass shooting at an IHOP restaurant.
In one call, a woman sobs as she tries to give the location of the shooter who fatally shot four others before he killed himself in the parking lot.
Others seemed to be left almost speechless by the trauma as they give descriptions and accounts.

"Hurry send ambulances," one woman pleads. "There are people dead."
A total of 11 people were shot Tuesday, Carson City Sheriff Ken Furlong said. They included five uniformed Army National Guard members and six civilians.
Three Guard members, a civilian woman and suspect Eduardo Sencion, 32, were killed.
Authorities were investigating the motive Wednesday. Family members told authorities that Sencion had a history of mental problems dating back to age 16, a law enforcement official said.
Sencion was carrying an assault rifle and a pistol when he went into the IHOP Tuesday morning, Furlong said.
Ralph Swagler, owner of the nearby Locals Barbecue, told 911 that the shooter, who wore a red shirt and black pants, was carrying automatic weapons.
"Now he is coming back outside with a gun," Swagler said. "He is shooting people in the parking lot!"
At that point, the businessman yells for his son to get out of the way. A burst of gunfire is then heard outside the IHOP.
"He is shooting at us now," said Swagler, who declined to speak Wednesday with CNN about the incident. "Automatic weapons. He is shooting at everybody."
A second assault rifle was found in Sencion's vehicle, according to authorities. Only the assault rifle he carried was fired, the sheriff said.
An IHOP customer talked with 911 operators as he looked inside the restaurant's window after the rampage.
"Oh my God, we've got (expletive) people down."
Sencion, who had no prior criminal history, continued firing in the restaurant's parking lot after shooting the IHOP patrons. Four nearby businesses were hit by gunfire, Furlong said.
Emergency operators remained poised during the barrage of 911 calls. "We've got help on the way," they assured eyewitnesses.
"It was crazy," said one witness calling from IHOP. "It was like a nightmare."
Furlong said he was the second person to arrive on the scene Tuesday morning. He held a woman shot in the head.
"The scene was horrific. It's something that I've never experienced before," the sheriff said. "It looked like a bloodbath, wall-to-wall carnage."
Investigators are trying to determine whether Sencion obtained the AK-47 used in the shooting lawfully.
The released calls include conversations between law enforcement personnel, who are told they need to be on the lookout for possible additional shooters. Sencion acted alone, authorities learned.
In one call, an officer is asked if more assistance is needed.
"At this point we have the scene under control," was the reply.
Mainstream media usually doesn't tell you...-rmcn34l.jpg 

Old 09-07-2011, 07:51 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Quote:
Point of clarification - crime rates in 1993, the year reported for the US in that chart, had reached record highs. By 2000, the year reported for many other countries, US violent crime rates had dropped roughly 25%.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads