Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-27-2011, 01:36 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
Why not? If people want to get a little high, who are you to say they shouldn't? Far more importantly, why should the government say they can't when it's so harmless?
Yeahhhh I'm gonna have to call you out on that. Weed is far from harmless. I'll even leave out the actual smoking part - but just being under the influence of it severely impairs your judgment. I know, I may or may not have used to smoke.

I don't care if people do it in their own homes - if they want to waste their lives away, more power to 'em. But it's when they start driving, coming into work, and just generally moving society backward, that's when I start caring. Just do what you do at home.

If they legalized it, taxed it, and made jailtime mandatory for anyone caught driving under the influence, made it legal for companies to fire someone for coming in under the influence, made being high in public the same as being belligerently drunk in public, I think I'd be alright.

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 01-27-2011, 05:50 AM  
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɯnɹoɟ

VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
I wish I could show you some of the pictures of the fatal accidents I investigated where pot was involved. One girl died with the joint still in her mouth after she ran head on into a car containing two 16 year old kids. The kid's car flipped over, and as I rolled up, both kids were on fire and became known in our profession as "crispy critters." Try telling their parents as I had to that pot is a harmless drug. I have many more but won't bore you with details. Smoke away!

Sorry guys, you have your opinion and I have mine. We will agree to disagree on this topic.
I agree with you there - however...

People are going to make bad decisions whether they have anything in their systems or not. I think this girl was on the fast track to death whether she was smoking weed or not. I dont think weed was entirely to blame here. Was it a contributing factor? Im sure... But her questionable decision making processes were the first factor (IMO) and there is no cure for stupidity.

Also, was alcohol involved in this equation? Or was this just a strictly cannabis related death?

*EDIT* And from a logical POV standpoint - You said you saw 'pictures' of these accidents. (That for one has me a bit skeptical) and then
Quote:
One girl died with the joint still in her mouth after she ran head on into a car containing two 16 year old kids. The kid's car flipped over
Seriously? When I smoked weed, I couldnt so much as cough or sneeze without the joint going flying from my mouth. Much less get into a head on collision flip my car (with a joint in my mouth)

Old 01-27-2011, 06:00 AM  
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɯnɹoɟ

VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
Yeahhhh I'm gonna have to call you out on that. Weed is far from harmless. I'll even leave out the actual smoking part - but just being under the influence of it severely impairs your judgment. I know, I may or may not have used to smoke.

I agree with you on your last two points, however - Severely impairs my judgement?

Not being on my doctor prescribed anti-depressants, anti-anxiety, and anti-ocd, anti-adhd mecications severely impairs my judgement as well. Not getting a decents night sleep without my 'Lunesta' or other prescribed medications affects my judgement. And ALL of these I run the very real risk of overdose - accidental or not. I would be WAY more worried if my kid ingested ANY of these. WAY more than if they found a cookie or brownie.

I think the most that my judgement is going to be impaired is due to a LACK of cognizance. (Which is OKAY as you stated - if its in my home.) That I agree with. Most of these issues with people doing dumb things is because they didnt respect WHY or WHAT they should have been doing (or not doing) before they partook. Regardless - I have ALWAYS been in touch with my grip on reality (just a little funny sometimes). I wouldnt do something that I normally dont do when I am stoned (i.e. fight, get all bold and show off etc)

Last thing - IMO cannabis was put here for a reason. We as human beings have an ENDOCANNABANOID(sp) system. We produce cannabinoids naturally to control everything from blood pressure to hunger triggers. Sure 98% use cannabis for recreational/pleasure purposes, but dont a staggering number of people also use sex for the same reasons? (And its main purpose is procreation?)
Old 01-27-2011, 06:06 AM  

Rochester, New York
Quote:

I don't care if people do it in their own homes - if they want to waste their lives away, more power to 'em. But it's when they start driving, coming into work, and just generally moving society backward, that's when I start caring. Just do what you do at home.

If they legalized it, taxed it, and made jailtime mandatory for anyone caught driving under the influence, made it legal for companies to fire someone for coming in under the influence, made being high in public the same as being belligerently drunk in public, I think I'd be alright.
100%. Treat it like we do alcohol.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:33 AM  

As I stated, I investigated that crime scene. My opinion is the joint stuck to her lip, she pulled the cherry off of it, causing her to look down and swerve over the center divider, colliding head on into the kids. Since all three died, the case was closed.
Old 01-27-2011, 10:11 AM  

Austin
Quote:
Hah they should go to jail. They're breaking the law. If a bunch of people do it, then it's okay, right? That's the most common argument I hear.

So if a bunch of people start doing cocaine, too - we should legalize that next, right?

Unfortunately, I agree. I don't think our country is ready to do anything serious about the problem at all. I wish they'd at least address it - at least have a vote, although I don't think anything would pass that would even close to legalize it. I'd still like to hear the politicians' view on it.
Yes, because that's how a democracy and hence our republic works. The state, and policy, is contingent upon a population, it's also what dictates morality.

Quote:
I apologize for my upcoming comment if you get offended....

But what is the attraction to mind altering drugs? Is the world we live in so bad that we have to mask the reality of it? It just seems that these days...Get a backache? Smoke a joint. Had a bad day? Smoke a joint. Tummy hurt? Smoke a joint? Stressed? Smoke a joint.

Yeah, I'm old fashioned but what is the truth? Ok, you have cancer and need to gain weight, I will support you 100% in your need to smoke a joint. Anything else is bunk IMHO!

And before you use alcohol as your defense, I feel the same way, so let's keep the topic directed towards pot.
You don't drink? What about coffee? Nicotine? Prozac?

The attraction is the same as it has been since the beginning of time (earliest known writing is a beer recipe), it's fun.

I'm old fashioned, I think my Government ought to leave me alone, and not tell me what to do, especially in issues that don't involve them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy View Post
Why not? If people want to get a little high, who are you to say they shouldn't? Far more importantly, why should the government say they can't when it's so harmless?
It's not harmless, but it's still my decision. My Government does not have the right to legislate what I do if it doesn't harm anyone else.

Quote:
I wish I could show you some of the pictures of the fatal accidents I investigated where pot was involved. One girl died with the joint still in her mouth after she ran head on into a car containing two 16 year old kids. The kid's car flipped over, and as I rolled up, both kids were on fire and became known in our profession as "crispy critters." Try telling their parents as I had to that pot is a harmless drug. I have many more but won't bore you with details. Smoke away!

Sorry guys, you have your opinion and I have mine. We will agree to disagree on this topic.
That's pot related in the same way it's oxygen related. If it had been a cigarette would it have been one of the billions of Tobacco related deaths? No. It was an error in judgment. The imbibing of marijuana was second to the initial crime of neglecting to pay attention to the road.

Quote:
As I stated, I investigated that crime scene. My opinion is the joint stuck to her lip, she pulled the cherry off of it, causing her to look down and swerve over the center divider, colliding head on into the kids. Since all three died, the case was closed.
^^
Old 01-27-2011, 11:37 AM  

You bring up some good points. Did the cherry popping off the joint cause her to be distracted, or was her judgement altered by the pot, causing her to not be able to focus on grabbing the joint correctly. It really doesn't matter now, she is dead. So are those two boys.

As said previously, do what you want in your own home, but stay away from cars.
Old 01-27-2011, 11:38 AM  
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɯnɹoɟ

VA
Quote:
Sorry bout that, I misread.

And I WILL agree that imbibing in any substance (even prescription) before getting behind the wheel is a bad idea. Hell, smoking a cigarette and talking on your cell phone will help get you killed.

With that said, I wouldnt blame it entirely on the weed

Also was a toxicology report done to see if she had any other substances in her system? (Curiousity)
Old 01-27-2011, 11:55 AM  

Final tox measured high THC but nothing else notable.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:38 PM  

Austin
Quote:
You bring up some good points. Did the cherry popping off the joint cause her to be distracted, or was her judgement altered by the pot, causing her to not be able to focus on grabbing the joint correctly. It really doesn't matter now, she is dead. So are those two boys.

As said previously, do what you want in your own home, but stay away from cars.

Agreed. I think most people should stay away from cars period. People are stupid.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.