Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-11-2010, 08:03 PM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
Besides from biased opinions (which I also have, of course!), do you guys think it'll realistically ever get passed federally?

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 12-12-2010, 09:12 AM  
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɯnɹoɟ

VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake7 View Post
Besides from biased opinions (which I also have, of course!), do you guys think it'll realistically ever get passed federally?
Maybe decriminalized but passed, highly doubtful. I would like to see it reclassified for starters - Schedule I? Are you kidding me? Thats just being stubborn to be stubborn.

I honestly think one of the greatest 'conspiracy' theories I heard went something along the lines of - Cannabis is a PLANT. Which means that you cannot patent it. No patent, no real 'rights' for big pharma (its medicine right?), which means no money.

Dont misunderstand when I say no money. There is LOTS and LOTS of money passing hands right now because of cannabis. THOSE are the folks that dont want to see it become legal. and they will do whatever it takes to keep it that way.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:18 AM  

If marijuana is decriminalized and growing it is allowed because of its medical benefits, how long will it take for the same argument to come up regarding the Opium plant?
Old 12-12-2010, 09:58 AM  
Poison Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
If marijuana is decriminalized and growing it is allowed because of its medical benefits, how long will it take for the same argument to come up regarding the Opium plant?
There's already plenty of prescription opiates on the market.

Morphine, codeine, hydrocodone, oxycodone, methadone, fentanyl, merperidine, ect.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:23 AM  

Exactly. Why should the government meddle in our own self medication? Shouldn't I have the right to grow my own Opium?

Obvious I personally do not feel this way, but couldn't this be the next step after marijuana? I encourage a healthy discussion on the topic.
Old 12-12-2010, 01:32 PM  
ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ ɯnɹoɟ

VA
I would have to disagree with you there only because the LD50 for opiates are on a WAY different scale than cannabis.

Thats apples and mufflers there.
Old 12-13-2010, 02:23 AM  

Honolulu, Hawaii
I can see where he's going, though. If this is legalized, then where do we draw the line?

https://luckylucy.scentsy.us/Scentsy/Buy
Old 12-13-2010, 07:58 AM  
facepalm

Minot, ND
thats what they said about alcohol too
Old 12-13-2010, 08:23 AM  

Yes, the Opium question was for discussion purposes only. I also guess you could add alcohol into the equation. Where do we draw the line? Marijuana is OK, but Opium is not.
Then what about mushrooms, or peyote? They all have medical benefits, and as a matter of fact, some are legal for American Indians to possess for their native rituals.

I personally believe the opening of the doors to legalized marijuana is opening the doors to a big pandora's box.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:34 AM  
Moderator Emeritus

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by havasu View Post
Opium is highly addictive, not even in the same boat. Like I've said, they are categorized together out of misunderstanding.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads