Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2011, 07:31 AM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
That said, as a former Air Force NCO, I would consider the religious tone a slap in the face to myself and any non-Christian serviceman, and any Christian serviceman who believes strongly that government should not be involved in religion.
It would be for the family, if they don't request it it doesn't happen. Do you want Taps? It has a religious phrase in the most common version. There are wordings that are different but this is the one I play;

Day is done
Gone the sun
From the lakes
From the hills
From the sky
Rest in peace
Soldier brave
God is nigh

Old 06-29-2011, 10:11 AM  
fustrated genius

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivalarrival View Post
The Air Force was first created in 1947. The Air Force Academy was created in 1954. There's a bit of a problem attributing it to both the founding fathers and a USAF chaplain. Even if we go back to the US Army Air Corp, that only takes us back to 1907.
Thanks for the history lesson, but yeah you're right, I already knew and simply copied and pasted the statements, which I was under the impression was in favor of redjeepxj's response. Not opposed.

BTW, I have a deceased family member who was in the Army Air Corps., WWII and am well aware their history.

may GOD bless America

Old 06-30-2011, 01:10 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
It would be for the family, if they don't request it it doesn't happen. Do you want Taps? It has a religious phrase in the most common version. There are wordings that are different but this is the one I play;

Day is done
Gone the sun
From the lakes
From the hills
From the sky
Rest in peace
Soldier brave
God is nigh

I've never actually heard Taps sung, although I heard it played at the (fortunately) few military funerals I attended, and every night I was on base. Every night at 2200, I stood at attention, as did everyone else outdoors within earshot, listening to those 24 notes and reminded myself of all those who served before me and with me.

During the sounding of Retreat at 1700 (IIRC), similar respects were supposed to be rendered. Frequently, I'd see servicemen duck into buildings, or quietly grumble that they had to stand around and "salute a telephone pole" (We were to face the flag, or if we could not see it, the nearest PA speaker, which were mounted on telephone poles around base).

I never saw anyone grumble about standing around for Taps. That alone tells me that the emotional meaning of those 24 notes is far deeper than most servicemen will admit.

Almost Invariably, there was some rowdiness going on somewhere on base after hours. Second shift didn't wind down until well after midnight. But, for a few minutes after 2200, there was a brief calm, as everyone took a few moments to let those sobering notes wash over them before getting back to "play time'.

More than once, I saw people furtively wipe an eye on their sleeve before going about their evening recreation.

The phrase "Good Bye" has religious meaning if one traces it far enough back. The commandment "Love thy neighbor" is no less a good moral imperative because it is strongly associated with Christianity. To me, Taps is a deeply honored and revered military tradition, irrespective of its lyrics.

Yes, I think my family would appreciate Taps being played at my funeral. I fully agree that if a family wants to recognize a religious meaning in a flag ceremony, the honor guard should assist them. Please don't mistake my own opinion that religion is a slap in the face to the non-religious to mean that honor guards should refrain from ever conducting a religious ceremony. I'm saying the exact opposite - if the family wants it, do it. My family doesn't want that.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:12 AM  

Kent, Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHood View Post
Thanks for the history lesson, but yeah you're right, I already knew and simply copied and pasted the statements, which I was under the impression was in favor of redjeepxj's response. Not opposed.

BTW, I have a deceased family member who was in the Army Air Corps., WWII and am well aware their history.

may GOD bless America
Sorry, I was in INTERNET RAGE mode. Your comment is quite obvious in hindsight, and my response was inappropriate. Mea culpa.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:46 AM  

BTW I use just use the words for Taps in my mind so I phrase the notes properly. I used to pass them to the family on a printed card after the service but no longer do so.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:45 PM  

Slightly off-topic, but this is a neat show of remembrance and patriotism. My pharmacist ran the marathon and was touched by the Wear Blue: Run to Remember runners and the patriotism shown along the route.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads