Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 02-23-2011, 10:59 AM  
Traveler

Ahhhh, you guys just start these threads to stir up crap. I had a pretty good idea that something was up with your job. A factory worker would not have your views! Yellow, I've worked with many engineers over the years and I can effectivly tell you, and please don't take offense, but they are pretty arrogant people, who are pretty full of themselves, but that's not a crime either. I get from you the impression that a certain class of people are supposed to work for just enough money so that the company administrators can explode their business and be able to get all the perks due them on the backs of these minimum wage working idiots. I say idiots, because if someone is making minimum wage, they must surely be a tard. I suppose that in your rose colored glasses world, that if someone happens to be caught up in the high percentage of unemployed, that that's their own dam fault too? I find it amazing that you and Scott seem to think that it's okay for a CEO to get whatever, but you seem to think that minimum wage is too high? I guess I just don't get you guys I bet you guys are the sort that hires undocumented workers to clean your toilets, and wash your laundry too. I should put on here, some articles about places like a certain Colorado ski resort that was sooo expensive to live there, that the minimum wage workers couldn't afford to live there, and the next town was too far away. The wealthy snobs there at the resort were up in arms about who was going to clean the toilets, as if those @#%$%$% minimum wage workers were the cause of some sort of inconvenience for them.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:04 AM  
Traveler

For the record too, by the way, I have never had to live on minimum wage, but I feel for those who do.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:11 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicinabottle View Post
.............I had a pretty good idea that something was up with your job. A factory worker would not have your views! Yellow, I've worked with many engineers over the years and I can effectivly tell you, and please don't take offense, but they are pretty arrogant people, who are pretty full of themselves, but that's not a crime either.
Up with my job? FYI: I am not an "engineer."

Just a couple of years ago I was a "factory worker" here at this very facility.
After working here for a few years I just happened to be promoted into the engineering department. Not an engineer, just the lowest position in the department. I wouldn't consider myself arrogant.... I merely have a few years technical school under my belt... No university degree on my wall.
You just had it all wrong.... You know, before I worked here, I was making about $8.50 an hour. Not that long ago really......

And as far as "stirring things up", that is pretty much what these categories are for right?

How much fun would it be if we all agreed, right?

Oh yeah, I forgot... Those Damn CEO's!..

Old 02-23-2011, 11:17 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
For the record too, by the way, I have never had to live on minimum wage, but I feel for those who do.
Well, from one who hasn't to another..... While I was in Highschool, if I had been making enough to "live on", I very well may have chosen to do that (because you know, we are smartest while in HS), which would probably have resulted in me not getting any further in my education.
I can hear it now.....(from a teenager)... "why should I go to college, when I can make a living wage over here at Pizza Hut...."..... Great.... Now what is going to happen to our youth...
Old 02-23-2011, 11:27 AM  
Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
Up with my job? FYI: I am not an "engineer."

Just a couple of years ago I was a "factory worker" here at this very facility.
After working here for a few years I just happened to be promoted into the engineering department. Not an engineer, just the lowest position in the department. I wouldn't consider myself arrogant.... I merely have a few years technical school under my belt... No university degree on my wall.
You just had it all wrong.... You know, before I worked here, I was making about $8.50 an hour. Not that long ago really......

And as far as "stirring things up", that is pretty much what these categories are for right?

How much fun would it be if we all agreed, right?

Oh yeah, I forgot... Those Damn CEO's!..

"I'm in engineering" ..............What? You baited me? Shame on you. Well, opinions abound, this is for sure. I just happen to be for the working class, myself.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:36 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
"I'm in engineering" ..............What? You baited me? Shame on you. Well, opinions abound, this is for sure. I just happen to be for the working class, myself.
I'm in engineering indicates that I work in the Engineering department. There was no "baiting". I am a Technician in the Engineering department. What that means is that I do Enginnering work for NOT engineering pay. Oh, and what you said about engineers, I work with several (duh) and some are the way you described.
Oh, I just did a Wiki search for "working class" (I hate that term) and part of it said that typically it is referring to Hourly workers (among other things). I am hourly, so I guess I am working class....
I don't buy "working class", the wiki definition says that the unemployed are often included... (wtf??? That makes no sense... aren't they unemployed b/c they aren't working??).. The term is stupid.

To me, working class means those that work. Makes sense to me.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:38 AM  

Greenville, SC
Musicinabottle...That brings me to a quick question... Are you an hourly worker or salary? If you are salary, then I am likely more qualified to speak on behalf of the "working class" don't you think???? Just kidding... sort of..
Old 02-23-2011, 11:54 AM  
Traveler

Right now, I'm in good company........... I'm unemployed. When I do work, I make up to $42 an hour with fringe benifits. It's okay to have your opinion. I just have always been for the underdog. Just in my blood I suppose.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:04 PM  

Kent, Ohio
I don't know that minimum wage should be entirely abolished, but there is definitely a need for "less than living" wage. There are plenty of senior citizens, housewives, etc. who are looking for a 9-to-5 hobby. Go down to your local hardware store; every one I've ever visited has had some people who work not because they need to, but because they want something to do during the day. They enjoy it. They'd do it for half the pay, because money isn't their reason for working.

Now look at high-school kids - most have their needs already met by mommy and/or daddy; they can afford to work for little more than gas money.

Minimum wage can NEVER be a "living wage". There's no fixed "maximum charge" for even essential consumer products. These prices will ALWAYS climb out of reach of minimum-wage earning power.

I understood this when I worked minimum wage jobs. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon (Can you imagine the society where that would be a legitimate job title?) to comprehend the idea that when people have more money chasing the same products, the cost is going to go up. Of course I didn't make waves about it, for the same reason we don't complain about bank errors in our favor. And it's not going to change anytime soon, for the same reasons.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter. This is the way our economy works. Anyone can work the system. When the price of everything is going to rise inexorably, the prudent person gets rid of his money, converting it into things that will appreciate along with inflation. Things like gold, diamonds, real property, successful companies, etc.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:06 PM  

Greenville, SC
I am sorry to hear about your situation..... I will say though.. I am no where near your rate of pay when you are employed... Neither here nor there though....

You may think I am against the underdog. I am not, we just have differing views as to what works.

I know you may think that I am just trying to convince you of something by this, but I am going to recommend that you read some of Walter Williams' writing. He has some very compelling things to say about most of the issues we speak about (and disagree on) here. He is pretty brilliant.

Anyway, back to the discussion at hand..... I just think that often times we cushion the blow that personal choices result in. I think that doing that is a disservice to all of society. Our youth needs to see the results of decisions. It helps them learn. The way it is now, you can have a person who dropped out of highschool, had children out of wedlock, doing just as well as a person who completed highschool, made the right choices, and not doing a whole lot better. Not a good example I don't think...

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!