Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-24-2011, 12:26 PM  

Greenville, SC
My solution to organ transplant shortages....

I personally think it is a no brainer.... Now I am sure there are some details that would have to be worked out... children, etc... But I think that:

Non organ doners should NEVER be ahead of an organ doner on an organ waiting list.Sure, you would have to put stipulations (been a doner for at least 12 mo. prior to diagnosis...), or exceptions (children not old enough to be organ doners)... But I think that more people would become organ doners in the interest of themselves needing an organ down the road... After 5 years or so, I almost don't think there would be a waiting list... What do you folks think??

Old 01-24-2011, 12:32 PM  
Commodore

San Marcos, Texas
I've had this same thought. In order to get an organ donated to you, then you need to be an organ donor or be exemption for health or age issues only. I wouldn't even allow opt out for religious or other moral/ethic issues.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:35 PM  
Poison Idea

Agreed, but kids should get an exemption. They shouldn't be put back on the list because their parents won't make them doners.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:47 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
I wouldn't even allow opt out for religious or other moral/ethic issues.
I would think that if your religion prevented you from donating an organ, it would likely be against your religion to accept someone elses organ....

I just think it is a no brainer.

Oh, and of course there should be exceptions for children. I just think that if something like this was implemented then the problem of a "waiting list" would probably go away. Plenty of organs available I would think.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:55 PM  

Rochester, New York
I like this idea a lot. But it should be done by the consensus of hospitals or who ever harvests/distributes organs, not by government mandate.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:50 PM  

Greenville, SC
I am definitely against government intervention. I am not certain how it would work without it. I don't know if the Hospitals could legally put something into place like this.
Just wondering...... Brian, is it a new idea to you and you think it is great, or you have thought about it before? I know I have thought about it for a long time and it seems like a pretty obvious solution. There MUST be some reason this isn't the way it is done..
It also seems like it could cut costs alot. The organs would not have to be transported as far I would think.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:01 PM  

Rochester, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
I am definitely against government intervention. I am not certain how it would work without it. I don't know if the Hospitals could legally put something into place like this.
Just wondering...... Brian, is it a new idea to you and you think it is great, or you have thought about it before? I know I have thought about it for a long time and it seems like a pretty obvious solution. There MUST be some reason this isn't the way it is done..
It also seems like it could cut costs alot. The organs would not have to be transported as far I would think.
I haven't really given this a lot of thought, but the idea of incentivizing folks to commit to donating their organs (to their benefit or to their survivors) is a good thing.

Bottom line: once I croak and I'm done with my parts, y'all can knock yourselves out with whatever I have left over that still works.

If someone has deeply-held religious or other views that compel them to be burned or buried with 100% of everything they were born with, that's fine too. It's their property.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:10 AM  

Greenville, SC

I think it would be a legitimate solution.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:21 AM  

Bristol, Tennessee
We should be able to sell organs. It is kind of absurd, the hospital can sell human body parts, for example the foreskins amputated from newborns can be sold to skin care companies for a profit even without consent (I am serious about this) so why can't I as an indivdual decree my organs go to the highest bidder? who gets harmed? my family gets the medical bills paid for and maybe some extra money to help them out, money moves around the economy from someone who obviously had obviously provided a bigger economic benefit, it would GREATLY increase the availability of organs. yes a few poor people would be shut out, but the number of total lives saved would be GREATLY increased

Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
I would think that if your religion prevented you from donating an organ, it would likely be against your religion to accept someone elses organ....

I just think it is a no brainer.

Oh, and of course there should be exceptions for children. I just think that if something like this was implemented then the problem of a "waiting list" would probably go away. Plenty of organs available I would think.
religious issues often fade away once presented with it directly,I'm sure that there are many "catholics" that have decided they don't want kids but like sex and use birth control.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:46 AM  

Rochester, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
We should be able to sell organs. It is kind of absurd, the hospital can sell human body parts, for example the foreskins amputated from newborns can be sold to skin care companies for a profit even without consent (I am serious about this) so why can't I as an indivdual decree my organs go to the highest bidder? who gets harmed? my family gets the medical bills paid for and maybe some extra money to help them out, money moves around the economy from someone who obviously had obviously provided a bigger economic benefit, it would GREATLY increase the availability of organs. yes a few poor people would be shut out, but the number of total lives saved would be GREATLY increased
If that was your will, then there's nothing wrong. However, if you don't want to do that or your family doesn't (and you hadn't weighed in one way or the other prior to shuffling off the mortal coil), then no one gets 'em.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
religious issues often fade away once presented with it directly,I'm sure that there are many "catholics" that have decided they don't want kids but like sex and use birth control.
When the wishes of individuals mean nothing, we cease to exist as a society. While I'm not religious, I respect the wishes of those who are. And there are some religions that don't condone donating organs. If someone belonging to one of those religions decides to donate anyway, that's cool.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.