Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2011, 11:53 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
We should be able to sell organs. It is kind of absurd, the hospital can sell human body parts, for example the foreskins amputated from newborns can be sold to skin care companies for a profit even without consent (I am serious about this) so why can't I as an indivdual decree my organs go to the highest bidder? who gets harmed? ........
I do believe in the free market so I SOMEWHAT agree. However, the only issue with that is that you might have people approaching really poor people and offering them money for their organs. Perhaps taking advantage of them.
Drug addicts, homeless folks, I don't know. I see more possibility of complications with being able to sell organs. I am not totally against that though. Also, like you said, people with less money may lose out on getting an organ. (unless of course they sell one of the good ones they have)

I do not see many (if any) complications with my initial proposal.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:58 PM  

Austin
I get in trouble for saying this in mixed company, but I don't think we should have a choice, you're dead, what do you care?

Once you die, you are just a resource we need to be able to access in the attempt to save those that are living.

Old 01-25-2011, 01:05 PM  

Greenville, SC
I don't really think it matters after you are dead either...but I think that the living family may my horrified if suddenly your recently deceased body was stripped of it's useful organs before the body was cold.... I don't know. Sounds a little crazy.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:44 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
I don't really think it matters after you are dead either...but I think that the living family may my horrified if suddenly your recently deceased body was stripped of it's useful organs before the body was cold.... I don't know. Sounds a little crazy.
................. the body != person , and I don't mean in the religious spirit way either
My solution to organ transplant shortages....-lego.png 

Old 01-25-2011, 01:53 PM  

Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
It has to be done right after death, otherwise the organs die.

There is no time to think, that's why they ask before hand.
Old 01-25-2011, 01:59 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funetical View Post
It has to be done right after death, otherwise the organs die.
Yeah, I thought about that after I posted (DUH).. I knew that!
Still, I think I like my original idea best. You still have a choice.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:16 PM  

Rochester, New York
I'm 100% for organ donation. It saves lives and improves the quality of life for others. No question. Groovy notion.

But it has to be done by the consent of the dying OR their immediate survivors if the unfortunate soul who croaked had not voiced an opinion one way or another. And their decision, as executors of the estate of the person who passed on, is all that matters.

The default should not be "harvest organs".

Here's one concern. If someone is in a very bad way in the hospital on life support who may or may not pull through in time, is it ethical for the hospital to coerce the family to flip the switch in order that the hospital can harvest organs and make a profit? I'm sure this concern and others like it could be dealt with in a reasonable fashion, but as things stand today, I'd be against organ donation without explicit permission given.

That said, the incentive thing YelloJeep suggested is a great idea.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:21 PM  

Greenville, SC
I believe you could essentially eliminate the waiting list eventually under my idea.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:22 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post

Here's one concern. If someone is in a very bad way in the hospital on life support who may or may not pull through in time, is it ethical for the hospital to coerce the family to flip the switch in order that the hospital can harvest organs and make a profit? I'm sure this concern and others like it could be dealt with in a reasonable fashion, but as things stand today, I'd be against organ donation without explicit permission given......
Hospitals already have this same conflict of interest come up but few seem to care. Circumcision harms the patient and the hospital sells the amputated tissue and increases their profit even more for an unneeded unethical procedure that is not done in the patients best interests and has never been recommended as routine but usually done for "the parent's wishes" but nobody seems to have an issue with that or seems to care about the easy money for some quick and permanent harm, but there would a conflict of interest issue when potentially multiple lives are saved?

hospitals are always there for profit sadly but if it can save lives then why not? if they person has no chance at coming back then why not pull the plug? If the hospital misrepresents the condition that would be grounds for a lawsuit (unless of course we get tort reform, but that is another thread)

I feel organ donation should be the default unless otherwise stated (although yes there would be an issue of getting people to know in some situations,but same as for organ donor though)
Old 01-25-2011, 02:26 PM  

Rochester, New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
Hospitals already have this same conflict of interest with circumcision where it harms the patient and the hospital sells the amputated tissue and increases their profit even more for an unneeded unethical procedure but nobody seems to have an issue with that, but there would be an issue when potentially multiple lives are saved?

hospitals are always there for profit sadly but if it can save lives then why not? if they person has no chance at coming back then why not pull the plug? If the hospital misrepresents the condition that would be grounds for a lawsuit (unless of course we get tort reform, but that is another thread)
Yeah, but if you snip the tip off my dick, I won't die. Cut out my liver and I'm unquestionably toast. See the difference?

There have been cases of people who didn't provide much hope of recovery only to shock doctors later on. I'd hate the monetary allure for organ harvesting to overtake patience by caregivers during recovery.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads
No Threads to Display.