Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-30-2011, 11:19 AM  

National Endowment for the Arts

Republicans adopted legislation that would reduce spending on the National Endowment for the Arts from just under $155-million in 2011 to $135-million next fiscal year. Its prime advocacy group (Americans for the Arts) squealed mightily but let's face it why should a government so deeply in debt be funding arts at all?

Old 07-30-2011, 12:19 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
for promoting the good of society by producing something called culture, society that was based around some bland industrialism environment where art is only approved by the corporations or wealthy that pay for it is bleak.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:51 PM  
Traveler

Or wars? Or Farm subsidies or......?
Old 07-30-2011, 03:36 PM  

Greenville, SC
Somehow......I am having trouble finding anything about "arts" here in my copy of the Constitution.....Hmmm.... Or FARM SUBSIDIES either... Quick question....

If the Federal Government were operatiing within the confines laid out by the Constitution would we be in this financial mess??
Old 07-30-2011, 05:15 PM  
Traveler

Constitution doesn't say anything about military, or highways or dams that generate power for us all........ Was this thread about the consti or about the arts and how it relates to the deficit, and by the way, the amount we're talking about pales and I mean pales in comparison to the amounts spent on medicare, social security and especially the military, the most gluttenous of them all..... Gotta take a bigger step than that if you want to make a dent. I say let's start out with some cuts to the big three and back it up with tax increases on corporate jets and the extreme wealthy, if we're talking about sacrafices for the better good of the country!
Old 08-03-2011, 03:02 PM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicinabottle View Post
corporate jets
Who rides around in the most expensive jet do you think??
Old 08-03-2011, 03:14 PM  

Don't forget the world traveling mama who takes her entire family with her on far away vacations....er, I mean business.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:15 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
Very good point!

BTW the government has trouble recognizing art so it subsidizes some less than fine art. I think real art will survive, the rest we don't really need anyway.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:00 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep View Post
so you think he should just fly commercial coach?, or would you let him have business class if he made the secret service ride coach?
Old 08-04-2011, 09:02 AM  

Probably not funded by the National Endowment, but would have been a good candidate!
National Endowment for the Arts-final_sculpture.jpg 

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads