Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2011, 02:19 PM  
mohel

Keizer, OR
Need some uranium?

Quote:
Posted 29 March 2011
The Grand Canyon, one of America's greatest treasures, is threatened by a huge wave of Uranium mining -- and the deadline for public comment is almost over.

For two years, a hard-won moratorium on mining has protected the Canyon, but the ban is now set to expire. If the federal government doesn't renew it, a "Uranium Rush" of mining would permanently scar the face of this unique and priceless land, devastate local communities, and endanger water supplies for millions who live nearby.

Lobbyists are right now pushing the U.S. Bureau of Land Management to open the floodgates for mines, but a 20 year ban is on the table. A public outcry helped secure the embargo last time and if enough of us raise the alarm again we could ensure the Canyon is mine free -- this time for decades. The deadline for public comment is April 4th -- Let’s flood the public consultation with messages to save the Grand Canyon!
Avaaz - Days to Save the Grand Canyon

I'm already downwind of more than I'd prefer.

Quote:
During the Bush years, Uranium prices soared -- and the mining industry rushed to stake mining claims on the federal land where the Grand Canyon sits. Over 1,100 mining claims have already been filed within 5 miles of the Grand Canyon. To mine uranium, companies rip up huge tracts of land to extract radioactive material -- before processing it for use in weapons and nuclear power plants.

The sheer destruction of the mines led the Havasupai Indians, who live in the canyon itself, and all tribal governments in northern Arizona to ban uranium mining on all their lands. Such opposition, paired with widespread public pressure, helped persuade the Obama administration to put in place the temporary ban shortly after it took office.

But now the mining moratorium his running out -- Uranium extraction is more lucrative than ever, and the pressure coming from the powerful mining lobby is intense. Only a massive wave of national pressure can keep the Grand Canyon off-limits to destructive uranium mining.
Need some uranium?-grandcanyon_1_459x230.png 

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!