Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2012, 10:37 AM  

Not So Green

I picked up some Homekist oatmeal cookies at WalMart and noticed two things. The package color had changed and the package felt loose. I read the fine print finding that the content had dropped from 16oz to 14oz. Instead of raising the price by 14 cents they dropped 4 cookies. The landfill (or recycling) gets the same content but the consumer gets less. This is but one example, many packages of dry food have stayed the same size with just less content. Also, check out those miniature cans of vegetables, chile and etc., the can companies had to tool up to make smaller cans. Amazingly, the tree huggers remain silent on this issue.

Old 01-28-2012, 04:20 PM  

Bristol, Tennessee
seriously??????? you are blaming environmentalists for this? really?

how is this THEIR fault? what are you insinuating? that they are cooperating with a cover up of oatmeal cookie packaging? seriously?

maybe because there are bigger issues at the moment then slightly more wasteful packaging, and most of those reductions in packaging size, also reduce waste proportionally speaking, yes larger packages are generally more economical in terms of excess packaging... but still, small problems are less important then big problems.

"the great cookie package tree hugger conspiracy" may remain unsolved.... but other concerns may be noticed, but we will forever note that Eddie_T was the one that brought this horrible conspiracy to our attention and we shall forever note that Eddie wants his package with 4 more cookies that the tree huggers failed to defend for him.

Old 01-28-2012, 05:56 PM  

Houston, Texas
You are just now noticing this??? Here's a hint. Next time you go to the store pick up a jar of peanut butter. Look at the price and then try and recall what that item cost, oh say, 5 years ago. With me so far? Now, turn the jar over and look at the bottom. Notice anything about the bottom. The "tree huggers" whoever they are, are aware of this and believe me, we are NOT happy. Corporations are very skilled at maximizing profits. This has got nothing to do with "tree hugger" outrage. Better question would be to ask why corporations, like your cookie manufacturer, are wasting resources. BTW, simply by being aware of this and asking the question qualifies you as a "tree hugger".
Old 01-28-2012, 08:57 PM  

Ran out of hot chocolate the other day. Discovered that a package now contains only 8 single serving envelopes instead of the expected 16. Packaging remains the same and price changed very little. This seems to encompass false advertising to me.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:45 AM  

Sammamish, WA
For me the first obvious example was ice cream, going from, 1/2 gallon to 1-1/2 quarts, without a change in price. One company did it and the others all followed. The did also reduce the package, not so with chips which seem to have more and more air in the bags to make them look bigger.

Let the buyer beware, and read the labels.
Old 01-29-2012, 07:13 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJeepXJ View Post
seriously??????? you are blaming environmentalists for this? really?

how is this THEIR fault? what are you insinuating? that they are cooperating with a cover up of oatmeal cookie packaging? seriously?

maybe because there are bigger issues at the moment then slightly more wasteful packaging, and most of those reductions in packaging size, also reduce waste proportionally speaking, yes larger packages are generally more economical in terms of excess packaging... but still, small problems are less important then big problems.

"the great cookie package tree hugger conspiracy" may remain unsolved.... but other concerns may be noticed, but we will forever note that Eddie_T was the one that brought this horrible conspiracy to our attention and we shall forever note that Eddie wants his package with 4 more cookies that the tree huggers failed to defend for him.
Wowee, my comment was merely that the tree huggers apparently missed this one. The cookies were "but one example" of what is happening across the board.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:25 AM  

Greenville, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T View Post
Wowee, my comment was merely that the tree huggers apparently missed this one. The cookies were "but one example" of what is happening across the board.
Ummmm... Yeah, I didn't think he was "accusing" the environmentalists of anything. I saw that he was basically referring to the companies' effort to keep prices the same was also creating the same trash amount with less product.. Thus, increasing our waste. The environmentalists aren't out there making a stink about it. Seems that they would.

Oh, and I have noticed it for quite some time..

--Milton Friedman (1912-2006)
Old 01-30-2012, 04:19 PM  

Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelloJeep

Ummmm... Yeah, I didn't think he was "accusing" the environmentalists of anything. I saw that he was basically referring to the companies' effort to keep prices the same was also creating the same trash amount with less product.. Thus, increasing our waste. The environmentalists aren't out there making a stink about it. Seems that they would.

Oh, and I have noticed it for quite some time..
When you refer to "the environmentalist" or the "tree huggers" exactly who are you referring to? We know who the company's are that are doing this. The ones who have lobbyist and lawyers. Remember though that when using those very vague phrases you aren't talking about an identifiable entity. They hold the same value as saying "us" or "them". Who is "them"? Anyone who is not "us"? So who are tree huggers and environmentalist? I'll say it again. Since you are aware of the problem and express a concern, you are. Yes companies do this to keep prices the same, or increase them, and get away with it. Why? They are organized better and more importantly have a better financial base. A financial base created with the same money we pay them for their products that we get short-changed on.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:00 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
Since you are aware of the problem and express a concern, you are.
Not at all, my concern is my money being spent for the thinly disguised price increase and my tax dollars and landfill tips for disposal and recycling. I just wonder why the tree huggers seem so silent on the growing problem.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:44 AM  

Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T
Not at all, my concern is my money being spent for the thinly disguised price increase and my tax dollars and landfill tips for disposal and recycling. I just wonder why the tree huggers seem so silent on the growing problem.
That is, after all, one of the concerns that "tree huggers" have. Not just the environmental impact but the financial cost related to the problem. As to why you don't hear more, maybe because you're listening to only one side.,.?

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads