Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Click Here to Login
Register Members Gallery Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2012, 12:18 PM  

Obama Can Read Our Email?

I haven't researched this one, just in by email;
Quote:
THIS THURSDAY, the House plans to vote on the Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act (CISPA).

CISPA strips the privacy rights of all Americans. It has a good chance of passing because lawmakers were able to get Internet giants on board with them. These online companies may have gotten what they wanted out of CISPA, and they are protected from litigation under these bills...but, the individual is not.

There are several bills in the House and Senate that threaten our online privacy...and Harry Reid has one in the Senate, sponsored by Joe Lieberman and Susan Collins. These bills are bad because:

There is no limit on the information that can be shared with government agencies. And because that info is shared "notwithstanding any law," privacy laws do not apply.
The government will begin monitoring even more of your private communications.
Cybersecurity control will shift from private companies to government agencies like the National Security Agency (NSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).
Once the information is captured by the government, it can be used for any purpose and given to whatever other agency or organization the government chooses.
H.R. 1981 requires online service providers to spy on your online activities and provide that information to the government. Information like your internet activity, name, address, bank account numbers, IP addresses, etc., must be accessible to the government regardless of whether or not you have been accused of a crime.

Everything you do online ... reading political blogs, checking your bank statements, purchasing products, signing up for the latest coupon offer ... everything you do online will be captured by your service provider and given to the U.S. government. They can then use this information however they want; and they can shut down any website they want to, without judicial review.

Old 04-26-2012, 03:21 PM  

NSA Whistleblower

It seems that big brother may already have our emails, see: http://www.democracynow.org/2012/4/2...sa_is_lying_us
Quote:
National Security Agency whistleblower William Binney reveals he believes domestic surveillance has become more expansive under President Obama than President George W. Bush. He estimates the NSA has assembled 20 trillion "transactions" ? phone calls, emails and other forms of data ? from Americans. This likely includes copies of almost all of the emails sent and received from most people living in the United States. Binney talks about Section 215 of the USA PATRIOT Act and challenges NSA Director Keith Alexander?s assertion that the NSA is not intercepting information about U.S. citizens.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:47 AM  

Massillon, Ohio
Didn't someone recently post something about a big facility being build in Utah by the NSA for this purpose? Besides, I always felt they did this anyways, even if it was illegal at the time. There is really no way to know who is watching, just like those urban legends of the call center out west underground that listens to your phone calls for key words that raise red flags on you....
Old 04-27-2012, 03:51 AM  

Houston, Texas
Obama??? Why stop with saying just Obama? I'm fairly certain Obama isn't reading my email. NSA maybe, but not Obama. If you ate going to say Obama why not be accurate and truthful in your thread title and say ANY President. Including conservative. Frankly I'm more concerned with a right wing president invading my privacy. Worst thing to happen to American Constitutional rights was the Patriot Act. May as well call it what it is. The "Government Is Looking Over Your Shoulder And Ready To Throw You In Jail Without Due Process " Act.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:57 AM  

Why be sensitive about Obama? If someone else were POTUS while these things are increasing I would use their name, but it's his shift!
Old 04-27-2012, 06:09 AM  

Nashville, TN
Sideways, no, I think Barry sits in bed at night and reads through your e-mails. "Michelle, you just have to read the one Sideways got today, it's hilarious!" I'm sure of it.

I'm not worried about anyone looking through my e-mail, reading things that come via USPS, or listens in on my phone calls. If they are that desperate to see a few naked ladies that some friends send in an e-mail, listen to the telemarketing calls we get despite being on the no call list or reading all the junk mail, let them have at it.

Now, when they (the govt) tell me how I'm suppose to think, then we are going to have a problem.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:26 AM  

Houston, Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie_T
Why be sensitive about Obama? If someone else were POTUS while these things are increasing I would use their name, but it's his shift!
You are correct, sir. BTW as of this AM per CNN "House passes Cybersecurity Bill despite Presidents veto threat". Now someone is going to cry that the President doesn't do enough to protect us.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:29 AM  

Houston, Texas
If anyone doubts the power of the US to do wrong Google "Executive Order 9066".
Old 04-27-2012, 08:03 AM  
Administrator

Missouri
Haven't checked this bill but sponsors of the previous attempts were primarily Republicans. Why not blame them? Remember "Eddie T" the president doesn't write laws. Or do you not remember the constitution from high school?
Old 04-27-2012, 02:03 PM  

Quote:
Originally Posted by samfloor View Post
Haven't checked this bill but sponsors of the previous attempts were primarily Republicans. Why not blame them? Remember "Eddie T" the president doesn't write laws. Or do you not remember the constitution from high school?
And that my friend is why I wonder about Bush getting so much credit for the housing bubble bursting. It is the congress but somehow the president fails to veto.

Go Back   CityProfile.com Forum - Local City and State Discussion Forums > General Discussion > National Politics / Debate
Bookmark this Page!

Suggested Threads

» Recent Threads